• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

12 minutes ago, phoostal said:

He'll probably at least get 25 million a year so are we going to be saying man he got screwed by developing

You can't really argue either way. That's the point. 

But he's eligible for almost double that figure. 45 mill per. 

Can you say without a doubt he's not closer to 45 if he gets run immediately? ETA. He'd be much closer to 45 if he had 2 years of this production level instead of 1. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

It has seemed to work for JJ.  Whether he will get as big a contract as he would have had he played big minutes earlier in his career is a mix of TBD and best guessing.  

However, in addition to it not being the normal development path, any player who wants endorsements should view the JJ approach as suicidal to those efforts.  It is also suicidal to winning ROY or being on the all-rookie teams (JJ was not a participant either his rookie season or his sophmore season).  I think very reasonable minds can at least differ on whether their client is best served by playing in the G-League after being picked #1 overall and that disagreement on this point is not necessarily a sign of selfishness or a refusal to develop.

In my eyes it does, but as you said he might willing to do it but his agent is advising against because it'll cost him money, which makes this a moot point.   

Which leads to another conversation about agents dictating to you instead of them working for you.   Some players should take control of their careers and not let agents control them. 

Who even was the last draftee to get decent rotation minutes as a rookie? Hunter? I thought it might be OO, but he only average 12mpg. 

I'm not fully agreeing with Duffy/Sarr, but I'm not sure it's *that* ridiculous of a thing to care about. 

Would you want to be drafted to a place that, historically, won't even play you for a year or 2?

3 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

“Yet, I'm told that won't deter the Hawks from taking him.  The Hawks have seen him up-close on several occasions and are suitably impressed. The Hawks are still intrigued with UConn center Donovan Clingan, although not nearly as much as Sarr.”

Based on the wording, sounds like this is sourced and not just some random opinion most people on Twitter throw out there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

“Yet, I'm told that won't deter the Hawks from taking him.  The Hawks have seen him up-close on several occasions and are suitably impressed. The Hawks are still intrigued with UConn center Donovan Clingan, although not nearly as much as Sarr.”

Based on the wording, sounds like this is sourced and not just some random opinion most people on Twitter throw out there. 

Wasn't sure who he was, but his bio has a basketball writers award. 

Now.... Time to go see if his site is sponsored by fanduel, ESPN BETS, draft kings, etc etc like everyone that's made the other "reports"

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, bleachkit said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2024-nba-draft-dalton-knecht-alex-sarr-reed-sheppard-top-big-board-projecting-best-pro-careers/

This is not a mock draft, but essentially a big board projecting who will have the best career. Interesting takes.

I saw Knecht up close this year.  He can shoot and go to the rack.  He will be a fine pro.  He's 6-6 too

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thecampster said:

We are close enough to the draft I can reveal a little something here.

There have been a lot of players trying to direct where they go this season, only choosing to workout for a handful of teams.  Sarr is one of them.  Sarr believes he can direct where he goes and he wants to go somewhere he has a chance to start, develop offensively. He has zero desire to go the g-league. He has openly rejected offers to workout from most NBA teams. His goal seems to be inflated stats to set up the highest possible 2nd contract.

Another Example of this is Edey who has limited his workouts as well....But Camp, I thought you were high on Edey....I am but there is one thing that's given me pause and I've talked about it privately with a few others on the board.  As of right now, he has only officially worked out for 9 teams, 8 of which were playoff teams last year. Unlike Sarr, Edey seems to be focused on his marketability and earning endorsements. He's limited his workouts to teams where he can maximize what will be the Edey brand.  Most NBA picks don't make huge salaries their first few years (top 5 picks excluded) but if their brand is huge (Edey's is) and they perform well, they can get much bigger endorsement deals, in select markets, as their rookie contract.  Slipping 5 slots but going to a contender with open Center minutes could be 15-20 million in endorsements for a player like Edey. It's a very different strategy than Sarr's.  Unlike most picks, Edey could not partake in NIL money and is less secure going in to the draft than other top picks who played in college and got NIL money or already earned pro salary elsewhere.  Just a weird dynamic from the Edey camp.  I've been told if he was open to workouts he could possibly go in the top 5, but his camp prefers to go to a winning team with center minutes available and not a rebuild situation where he'd be expected to start and carry a heavy load. Because of 2 big, established center salaries in Atlanta, that makes it a non-starter.  The whole above bothers me a good bit, but not enough for me not to support trading down to pick him.

Its a complicated year.

Ew ew ew.... running away from the grind.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, pro9wu said:

I do! Here's the list:

1. Reed Sheppard

2. Donovan Clingan

3. Alexandre Sarr

4. Zach Edey

5. Johnny Furphy

6. Ja'Kobe Walter

7. Zaccharie Risacher

8. Jared McCain

9. Kyshawn George

10. Stephon Castle

11. Rob Dillingham

12. Cam Christie

13. Devin Carter

14. Tidjane Salaun

15. Carlton Carrington

16. Matas Buzelis

17. Kyle Filipowski

18. Nikola Topic

19. Ryan Dunn

20. Ron Holland II

21. Baylor Scheierman

22. Jaylen Wells

23. Yves Missi

24. Tyler Smith

25. Jalen Bridges

26. Isaiah Collier

27. Justin Edwards

28. Jaylon Tyson

29. Kel'El Ware

30. Cody Williams

Sheppard is number is 1 in his analysis. Generational shooter,, don't pass on him y'all. 

• Like 1

Do yal remember when we traded up for Hunter and found out later that he cancelled all of his other workouts after a private workout with us?

It was mutually beneficial as he had a promise from us that we would take him if he was there at 8, we wanted to prevent other teams in front of us from seeing him and stealing. And we put our money where our mouth was by moving up to make sure nobody else got him.

Sarr’s camp could very well have the same commitment from Washington that makes them want to lay low and rely on the fact that they are guaranteed to go no later than 2. Where it could get interesting is if we try to force the Wizards hand and make them put their money where their mouth is if Sarr is truly their guy.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Do yal remember when we traded up for Hunter and found out later that he cancelled all of his other workouts after a private workout with us?

It was mutually beneficial as he had a promise from us that we would take him if he was there at 8, we wanted to prevent other teams in front of us from seeing him and stealing. And we put our money where our mouth was by moving up to make sure nobody else got him.

Sarr’s camp could very well have the same commitment from Washington that makes them want to lay low and rely on the fact that they are guaranteed to go no later than 2. Where it could get interesting is if we try to force the Wizards hand and make them put their money where their mouth is if Sarr is truly their guy.

They could legitimately take Sarr, or they could be putting Washington on notice that if they want him, they have to give us something.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JTB said:

One the most important comments in this whole thread so far in my opinion!…

well it’s Sunday folks , can't wait until tonight! ….i really want to know who these 4 big salary targets are!

Which of you insiders ( @thecampster , @Sothron , @NBASupes, @Mikey) can SAFELY spill beans 🙃?

I have a feeling this is the move the hawks will do as well ….but it’s not the player they most covet. I believe the FO #1 player is Clingan but will settle for Risacher in hope of holding him hostage for Clingan , which I’m not really a fan of cause that move can go south and we really need our center.

I haven't heard anything yet ngl. Honestly I wouldn't expect a trade until draft night. Hawks prefer to move down the board but they can only do that if Houston doesn't move the pick and takes Reed or lines up a trade from 4 to 3 or 3 to 1 with ATL. Too many moving parts for it to happen before draft night but I am just speculating 

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I wouldn't say that he is not a reliable source. The Hawks are doing what they should be doing and making people unsure who the real target is and trying to drive up the price of trading up for #1. That is doing what a smart FO should be doing.

He has no history of reporting accurate rumors or moves about the Hawks. Like you said just a media account being used to drive up price for 1