2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

Just now, JTB said:

I like Sarr, Clingan, Risacher for various reasons. But all of them have flaws. The question is which has flaws that can be covered up easier based on our roster?

Also their impact strongly depends on their matchup. In todays league you need both type of centers so we either need to keep Capela or OO regardless who we draft.

if you draft sarr and force him at center he’s going to be pissed since he’s already made it known he doesn’t want to play center.

If we draft Sarr and put him at Center then imo the front office and the coaches failed from the get go.  Maybe one day he becomes one as he puts on weight but right now it wouldn't be smart to do so.    Maybe like a Chris Bosh type of Center as he gets older is what i could see.

• Like 3

Just now, JTB said:

But you don’t draft Sarr for his shooting. You draft Sarr for his defense.

Sarr would be a great pick if we knew what the plan was and how the roster would be built.

personally if we take Sarr or Risacher I want a trade of either Butler, PG, or Ingram. I think we need that vet wing presence to help one of them.

Tongue in cheek giving you crap.  I just hope it's Sarr that's all.  Beaten it death I guess.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I've watched enough tape of Risacher to not want him as the number one pick. Give me Sarr, Clingan or Reed over him. I just don't see it. I think he's a top five pick but not the #1 pick. If another team like the Spurs really wants him at #1 for goodness sake trade down.

I disagree. The more videos I watch the more I can see him being the best player in this draft. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sothron said:

I've watched enough tape of Risacher to not want him as the number one pick. Give me Sarr, Clingan or Reed over him. I just don't see it. I think he's a top five pick but not the #1 pick. If another team like the Spurs really wants him at #1 for goodness sake trade down.

Agreed Risa is the 1 guy i really don't want at 1 at all i don't even like him as much as i like Buzelis as a player.   Clingan i don't hate as a player and think he is actually quite good at what he does best.  My problem with him and not wanting him early is he is the exact opposite of how i think we should build the team around JJ and Trae.   To me he is counter to what i want from my 5 on this team he is a bigger version of Capela which i have complained about for a few years now killing our spacing and clogging the paint lol.  

Now Snyder might prefer that type of scheme and player which at that point i will just have to disagree with his view and trajectory of the team compared to what i prefer and want and think will work over the next few years.  i just much prefer teams that are more versatile than traditional now and think it's the best way going forward for this team.

With a team that didn't have trae on it and didn't run a scheme i think he does best i would probably have no issues with Clingan so high. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

The FO has to know by now that Trae can make a bad offense top 10 if healthy.

so taking Sarr or Clingan to give us defense would be extremely beneficial. Then trade Murray and others to get another quality scorer.

if Sarr wants to play the 4 then we can just let him and Jalen know that the 3&4 is interchangeable going forward. At this point you have to guard the perimeter 1-4 guaranteed. It doesn’t matter if Jalen or Sarr is the primary SF or PF.

2 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

I disagree. The more videos I watch the more I can see him being the best player in this draft. 

Explain. What do you like ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JTB said:

But you don’t draft Sarr for his shooting. You draft Sarr for his defense.

Sarr would be a great pick if we knew what the plan was and how the roster would be built.

personally if we take Sarr or Risacher I want a trade of either Butler, PG, or Ingram. I think we need that vet wing presence to help one of them.

Now were talking brother i would be thrilled with adding a proven vet like Butler or PG on this team.  I think they do nothing but help this group with some toughness and some vet leadership from a player who has been a superstar at one point.  I honestly think we got soft over the years after our goons like Hill and to a lesser extent Gallo.  Butler has that dog in him they had and PG does to a lesser extent but is a good player as well.    Would you end up putting them at the 2 at that point with JJ and Sarr/Risa at the 3/4?   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JTB said:

The FO has to know by now that Trae can make a bad offense top 10 if healthy.

so taking Sarr or Clingan to give us defense would be extremely beneficial. Then trade Murray and others to get another quality scorer.

if Sarr wants to play the 4 then we can just let him and Jalen know that the 3&4 is interchangeable going forward. At this point you have to guard the perimeter 1-4 guaranteed. It doesn’t matter if Jalen or Sarr is the primary SF or PF.

Explain. What do you like ? 

I said this in another thread but to me he is a taller Manu Ginobli. He played 70 games in the next best pro league and got them to the championship game in europe. That is more than two college seasons.  He shot 40 percent from 3. He was the best defensive player on the best defensive team in europe.  He can play and guard 1-3. He is only 19 and can still develop. Although his athleticism isn’t outstanding, he is more athletic than Dre. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

So you are saying he wants to be the #1 pick knowing the Hawks have the #1 pick O.o.  But but but i want told he had no interest on being a hawk and didn't want us to take him.  BS just media hoopla as usual and from his own mouth he wants to be drafted #1 knowing good and well that means he goes to us.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Idk about this one

He's really #2/#3 on my big board. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Threezus said:

Now were talking brother i would be thrilled with adding a proven vet like Butler or PG on this team.  I think they do nothing but help this group with some toughness and some vet leadership from a player who has been a superstar at one point.  I honestly think we got soft over the years after our goons like Hill and to a lesser extent Gallo.  Butler has that dog in him they had and PG does to a lesser extent but is a good player as well.    Would you end up putting them at the 2 at that point with JJ and Sarr/Risa at the 3/4?   

Yeah so let’s say we traded for Butler or PG, drafted Sarr or Risa, and we keep Trae & Jalen.

if this is the combination we can play with , I don’t think it matters who is 2-4…now obviously certain players can’t dribble as well as others within this group so likely PG or Butler would be Traes backcourt mate but defensively we’d have full switching ability from 2-4….and that’s very Celtics like defensively to lesser extent.

1 minute ago, MarylandHawk said:

I said this in another thread but to me he is a taller Manu Ginobli. He played 70 games in the next best pro league and got them to the championship game in europe. That is more than two college seasons.  He shot 40 percent from 3. He was the best defensive player on the best defensive team in europe.  He can play and guard 1-3. He is only 19 and can still develop. Although his athleticism isn’t outstanding, he is more athletic than Dre. 

Not worried about his defense. Man you see manu in this kid?…manu wasn’t a lights out dribbler but he was unique with it. I don’t see any dribble ability in this kid at all BUT maintaining is more important than knowing how to dribble. Luka in my opinion is a maintaining dribbler and so was ISO Joe. Neither have lights out handles (add Lebron to this list)…but I need to risacher have that ability to beat his man off the dribble and I just don’t see it . Now if we get a star vet wing to go with him it may not matter as much right now and perhaps his ball handling can be hidden.

9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Sarr will not be a starter in Atlanta as a rookie anyway.  You give him minutes at both the 4 and 5 with the developmental plan that he will eventually grow into the 5 position.  There are 7,872 minutes to be played at the 4 and 5 over an 82 game schedule.  

No sir…whoever we draft at #1 will be starter . Maybe not game 1 but by game 15 or early in the season that pick will be in the starting lineup.

THIS IS NOT THE NFL FOLKS….you don’t draft a top 5 player in the nba to play them off the bench.

3 minutes ago, JTB said:

No sir…whoever we draft at #1 will be starter . Maybe not game 1 but by game 15 or early in the season that pick will be in the starting lineup.

THIS IS NOT THE NFL FOLKS….you don’t draft a top 5 player in the nba to play them off the bench.

If you are trying to win, you aren’t playing rookies very much.   

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Anyone else ever heard this story before regarding Hawks previous pick #1 :blanky:

McDonald's vs. '4-inch steaks': How the Nuggets beat Atlanta Hawks to David 'Skywalker' Thompson

Thompson arrived at the Atlanta airport and then-Hawks coach Cotton Fitzsimmons picked him up to take him out to eat. It didn’t exactly turn out to be what Thompson had in mind. “He took me to McDonald’s,’’ Thompson told The Denver Gazette. Yes, the Hawks were competing with the Nuggets to sign Thompson, a swingman who had led the Wolfpack to the 1974 NCAA title and was the unanimous National Player of the Year in 1975, and what he got was a Big Mac, fries, soft drink and apple pie. “Maybe Cotton had a time crunch and that’s why we ended up there,’’ Thompson said of Fitzsimmons, who died in 2002. “I had already been thinking that I probably would go to Denver, but that kind of sealed it.”

– via The Denver Gazette

https://denvergazette.com/sports/mcdonalds-vs-4-inch-steaks-how-the-nuggets-beat-atlanta-hawks-to-david-skywalker-thompson/article_2a8e89ac-2dde-11ef-9de0-0b629b6205f1.html

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1