2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

15 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

As my friend mentioned, "The Hawks fanbase is likely one of the least favored in the NBA."

As if they didn't earn that right.  What have the Hawks done since coming to Atlanta in 1968?  Do you realize how many different players/front offices, rebuilds, etc. some of us have gone through?  I've been on this boat since 1978.  I watched Hubie Brown's Hawks get dismissed after grinding 7 game series in playoff runs back in the 1970s.  I saw Nique and Fratello.  Kevin Loughery, Lenny Wilkins and every coach in between and after.  This rebuild has been going on since 1968 and we are asked to be patient with whats going on with this draft?  Its the true fans who are passionate about the Hawks who are complaining. 

You got a lot of fake fans that point the finger at others because they are "conditional" fans.  They lock into a player or players and see nothing else the organization is doing and could care less as long as they get to cheer and validate themselves through "their guy".  Its why the Hawks get away with not being serious about championships.

Edited by Hawkmoor

1 minute ago, Hawkmoor said:

As if they didn't earn that right.  What have the Hawks done since coming to Atlanta in 1968?  Do you realize how many different players/front offices, rebuilds, etc. some of us have gone through?  I've been on this boat since 1978.  I watched Hubie Brown's Hawks get dismissed after grinding 7 game series in playoff runs back in the 1970s.  I saw Nique and Fratello.  Kevin Loughery, Lenny Wilkins and every coach in between and after.  This rebuild has been going on since 1968 and we are asked to be patient with whats going on with this draft?  Its the true fans who are passionate about the Hawks who are complaining. 

You got a lot of fake fans that point the finger at others because they are "conditional" fans.  They lock into a player or players and see nothing else the organization is doing and could care less as long as they get to cheer and validate themselves through "their guy".  Its why the Hawks get away with not being serious about championships.

TheCampster - Fake fan since 1987...I've had a lot of "their guy"s

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Am I the only one that doesn’t want Clingan at all? Stamina issues. Prior foot/ankle issues at his size. 

he missed 7 games this year and barely played 1/2 the time in those he did play (22.5 mpg). Last year he played every game … a whopping 13 mpg.

Sometimes the body doesn’t cooperate with the talent. I’ve seen this story before. I’m taking Edey 10/10 times over Clingan. And I’m not taking Edey likely until the end of the lottery.

Edited by h4wkfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

This is true. My first Hawks memories are from 1979. My Dad said he took me to games even earlier than that but in 1979 I was three and can remember Fast Eddie and John Drew. I've been here for a long time. @Gray Mule is the oldest Hawks fan I know of anywhere.

I hate to say that your bolded is sadly true especially here on the Squawk. I used to call this place AgendaSquawk because it was far more about being "right" then just supporting the team.

This draft is the most divisive class I have ever seen. Even more than 2013 and 2000. 

If I can offer comfort to Hawks fans it is this:

Tony Ressler is actually, finally, letting the basketball operations run this team without his interference.

Landry is smarter than most here give him credit for being. I actually believe this FO with a hands off owner will make this team better.

I agree with everything you said and I appreciate you been REAL.  Anytime somebody brings something to the table that is about building the Hawks correctly or even criticizing them or a player the fake fans like when appropriate, the agenda folks come in and project "agenda" onto whoever is being real about the Hawks.  

On a side note, its good you got to be a Hawks fan way back then.  You been a fan longer than I have if your Dad took you to games before 1979.  @Gray Mule also.  I went to a few games at the Omni.  Man its been a long ride with this team.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Am I the only one that doesn’t want Clingan at all? Stamina issues. Prior foot/ankle issues at his size. 

he missed 7 games this year and barely played 1/2 the time in those he did play (22.5 mpg). Last year he played every game … a whopping 13 mpg.

Sometimes the body doesn’t cooperate with the talent. I’ve seen this story before. I’m taking Edey 10/10 times over Clingan. And I’m not taking Edey likely until the end of the lottery.

I wondered about him playing NBA minutes also with the way he moves.  I thought Edey had bad footwork and speed until I saw Clingan.  You combine bad footwork with that weight and heavy minutes in the NBA and its not a good look for a guy that big.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Just my 2 cents from reading between the lines, but I only think Clingan is an option in a trade back that nets us a FRP with a real chance at Cooper Flagg.

Otherwise, it’s going to be Risacher of Sarr.

I've been a self-proclaimed fake fan since 1984; my first game was the Sonics vs. Hawks in Seattle, watched on TV.

However, there are other organizations that have endured much worse than the Hawks, and their fans never abandoned them. Consider the Kings, who didn't make the playoffs until last season and nearly relocated to Seattle. It was their fanbase, working tirelessly with Mayor Johnson, that kept the team in place, and now they're experiencing some success.

Indeed, this team has frustrated everyone with their draft picks, trades (the Nique for Danny trade still stings), the ASG debacle with Joe Johnson, and more. Despite it all, I'm committed to sticking with them until the end of days!

Edited by NekiEcko
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Tony Ressler is actually, finally, letting the basketball operations run this team without his interference.

Landry is smarter than most here give him credit for being. I actually believe this FO with a hands off owner will make this team better.

I wish I could believe you.

I'm taking a wait and see approach.

They have to earn my confidence back after slowly eroding it over the last 3 years consecutively.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, thecampster said:

TheCampster - Fake fan since 1987...I've had a lot of "their guy"s

My first game was in 85 at the old Omni. I was 6. My granddad worked for the old Atlanta Constitution before the merger and we got tickets regularly. All I really remember was seeing this little dude named Spud and this high flyer named Nique. 

I guess I've been a fake fan since then. 

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 3

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I wish I could believe you.

I'm taking a wait and see approach.

They have to earn my confidence back after slowly eroding it over the last 3 years consecutively.

Right now saying that is like telling me you are prepared to pay the tax.  Stop telling me and just do it.  Telling me that Ressler is no longer interfering means nothing until I see it in action.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JustSomeGuy said:

He also played in 14 fewer games than DJ. But per 36 they are essentially the same player except that BI is a touch more efficient and DJ was a better rebounder and more active ball handler. 

Ingram is a beast.  His game reminds me of prime Kevin Durant.  I'm surprised at his numbers compared to Murray's.  I would still take him over Murray.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1