• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

Alex Sarr (BPA), Kel’el Ware (rare archetype/highest ceiling), Baylor Scheierman (high NBA value), and Keshad Johnson (strong-4 3&D) are all great fits for the Hawks and are going to have the highest impact on winning for the Hawks around their draft positions. Hawks will win the draft if they come out with Sarr, Ware, and Scheierman.

Edited by djjob23
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Afro said:

The easy answer? Alex Sarr is 19 years old and has one season of "real basketball" under his belt. I don't count any of those weird Gleague teams. 

Zach Edey is 22 years old and played 4 years of college ball. 

Im not trying to wage into this fight, but that is a pretty universally accepted argument. Edey is a hell of a lot closer to his finished product.

but what if edey does have skills away from the basket that were never displayed in college? you'd think a good college coach would showcase his best players in every way possible, to help them get drafted higher and thus improve his ability to recruit better high school prospects. but they have to balance that with winning. we have no idea what matt painter's priority was with his usage of edey. he was by far the most dominant player in college, and keeping him in his most efficient spot on the court gave purdue the best possible shot at winning games. there could be more skills there than we've been shown.

again, i don't actually believe there is, or that we should draft him, i'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of conversation

Edited by therealist

23 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Anyone catch Brad hosting Locked on NBA with the Pels reporter? I missed it, but saw this one little reply on Twitter that’s interesting. He’s saying it’s more likely right now we keep both guards.

IMG_9897.jpeg

That has to be more posturing than anything.  Regardless, Landry will be criticized if he keeps them both and crucified if he takes 80 cents on the dollar for DJM.  I appreciate the lack of clarity right now.   It gives me hope they're working dilligently and quietly to truly improve this team and get maximum value for the assets they have. 

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

Keeping both of them would be an absolute disaster of an off-season for me.  We would be better playing Trae and DJM a combined 48 minutes a game and not a second of either of them at SG than we would be continuing to do what we've been doing.  Unless Quin has some amazing adjustment that he couldn't come up with over the last 100 or so games he has coached we must trade one of them.

That’s how little faith I have in this Front Office. We are more likely to run it back with this same roster plus whatever draft pick we make than we are to use our assets to improve the roster.

We will continue to move players a season too late when their value is the lowest.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, therealist said:

but what if edey does have skills away from the basket that were never displayed in college? you'd think a good college coach would showcase his best players in every way possible, to help them get drafted higher and thus improve his ability to recruit better high school prospects. but they have to balance that with winning. we have no idea what matt painter's priority was with his usage of edey. he was by far the most dominant player in college, and keeping him in his most efficient spot on the court gave purdue the best possible shot at winning games. there could be more skills there than we've been shown.

again, i don't actually believe there is, or that we should draft him, i'm just playing devil's advocate for the sake of conversation

The conversation is dead.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

Unrelated to this year’s draft, but I saw this on X and thought it was cool. Former Hawk draft prospect Dr. J playing for the Hawks against the Kentucky Colonels. 

Maybe we’ll have a little more luck with this year’s draft. 

Our history is full of what ifs.. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

What if the offers don’t improve the team?   Brandon Ingram does not make this team better.  I highly doubt New Orleans will deal Herb Jones.  I’d rather keep Murray than trade for Ingram.  

I agree, Ingram is past his prime.   I do believe that either Murray or Trae have to go, they cant co-exist.   The Hawks actually played good team ball and won some games with Trae out, just saying.  

• Like 1

Murray is an all-star PG locked up for the next 4 years on an extremely reasonable contract.  He should have similar value to Bridges to a team who is missing a PG (Orlando/NOP/Lakers/MIA/Wolves/Spurs) or even many non playoff teams.

Considering his contract I would also be open to keeping him and trading Trae.  He is just too damn good as a PG on an extremely team friendly contract for the next FOUR YEARS.  We are going to regret trading him for anything less than a major haul.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Translation: Offers aren't good enough

The franchise doesn’t want the optics of trading them to a bad team for scraps, which is obviously the only options they’ve had for some time now.  I don’t envy Landry’s position at all.  He’s stick between a boulder and a jail cell door.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

What if the offers don’t improve the team?   Brandon Ingram does not make this team better.  I highly doubt New Orleans will deal Herb Jones.  I’d rather keep Murray than trade for Ingram.  

1000%.  If we don't get Herb or a boatload of picks for him we should keep him.  His contract makes him too valuable to give away for a 1 season rental of a non-star player.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Literally not playing Trae and DJM together improves the team.  It is addition by subtraction.  Trae and DJM together has been a losing proposition.  We are better off getting nothing for DJM and just playing Bogi at SG.  So anything we do get should be done to improve the team because DJM at PG is valuable and there are teams that could sure use him there and he is under team control on a good contract.

I'd rather than $0.75 on the dollar than keep playing Trae and DJM together.  If we keep playing them together that is basically saying "we don't give a **** about winning games this season."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShooterSays said:

Risacher up to -400 on Draft Kings to go #1.

Real question is going to be do we trade him during the next 1-5 picks after us. 

What in the actual F.  If we draft and keep him it's going to be really tough for me to support it.