2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

With this draft class I’d have to think really hard about trading the pick for Bridges.  He isn’t a superstar but he is such a good defender and has become a very good offensive player who doesn’t need the ball in his hands non-stop to contribute.  Every team in the NBA could use him.  When I think of whether I’d rather have him or take a shot at Castle, Sheppard, Risacher, etc. I’ll take Bridges all day.  

The main thing that gives me pause is Gasol for Shareef.  That hurt.

Bridges is another guy who you would have to eventually over pay and isn't worth it because of his lack of defense. 

• Confused 2

On 5/24/2024 at 10:25 AM, KB21 said:

Here's the thing that irks me about this discussion.  We have some fans who act like there is this drastic gap between Luka and Trae, and that simply isn't the case.  That narrative is bore out of a tremendous bias against Trae for whatever reason.  The fact of the matter is, Luka and Trae are two of the three best shot creators in the entire NBA.

Luka is way better than Trae. Trae is just a PG that has little versatility, he is not as good of a scorer, rebounder and Luka is even improving in area's that Trae has had advantages. Namely ft and 3pt shooting.

At this point, you can't change it. The folks at the top have to work with what they have right now and either change things up and build around Trae or ship him out. I think building a Contender around Trae is going to be tough, but they might have to take one last stab at it.

While I think building around Trae is extremely hard, I don't think the Hawks have did their best to do so. They have let Trae down.

Edited by Plainview1981
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

I don't see it on him being a "3" however)

Because he is not. There are really bad Sarr takes on here that go against every evaluation of him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AHF said:

The main thing that gives me pause is Gasol for Shareef.  That hurt.

With our management at the time (and now nothing has changed) would Gasol develop into the Gasol of the Grizz? I’m not sure. We probably would have broken him into Kwame.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

With our management at the time (and now nothing has changed) would Gasol develop into the Gasol of the Grizz? I’m not sure. We probably would have broken him into Kwame.

I do think we have a strong developmental team with our current coaches and front office.  I can just see a pretty wide range of outcomes for most of the potential picks for us including Sarr who has a high enough ceiling to make me scared of trading him and a low enough floor to make me think we could badly regret passing on a stud like Mikal Bridges.  If we have the option of doing some kind of filler + 1 for Bridges type of deal, that is one I’m spending a lot of time considering if I’m the Hawks.  

If we did something like that, it would make a DJM for filler and picks deal more palatable.  It is a tough one for me.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

We better be the first team to call if Bridges becomes available. 

Was at the game this last season where he dropped 45 on us. We could not stop him in the 4th. Everyone knew he was getting the ball and he just kept scoring.

I was there too with my brothers in law.  One a net fan, the other a heat fan.  It was a crazy night.

And agree we better be looking into Bridges, just not using the #1. 

53 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bridges is another guy who you would have to eventually over pay and isn't worth it because of his lack of defense. 

He is miscast in his role in BKN, which is why it appears he's not a good defender.  The reality is, in the proper role, he's one of the best defenders in the league. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Luka is way better than Trae. Trae is just a PG that has little versatility, he is not as good of a scorer, rebounder and Luka is even improving in area's that Trae has had advantages. Namely ft and 3pt shooting.

I disagree.  If you want to say his size gives him advantages that you can’t get with Trae, I will agree.  I will never agree with constant disparaging of Trae’s play just because he isn’t Luka.  

There are three players in the NBA who are tremendously valuable for their ability to create shots for themselves and their teammates.  Luka, Joker, and Trae.  They are the three best at that.  

Would anyone do #1 and Hunter for Mikal?

I'm thinking the value is equal there. Nets get to gamble for their future with a reset on rookie scale and we get Mikal who isn't a superstar but definitely what we need.

I don't know about you all, but I would do it because we can still package DJM plus something else to get an upgrade at center or PF.

image.thumb.png.0be78192429cfe5d8f599c6fbbed0e7e.png

Opening the door for this:

image.thumb.png.e68add7c8a303aabda691e2755749a99.png

Capela/OO
Lauri
JJ
Mikal
Trae

Why play Mikal at 2? Well, you know the answer to that... gives a backcourt player with Trae that can't be beat. 

Essentially you get Mikal guarding Jaylen Brown and JJ guarding Tatum.

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

At this point, you can't change it. The folks at the top have to work with what they have right now and either change things up and build around Trae or ship him out. I think building a Contender around Trae is going to be tough, but they might have to take one last stab at it.

While I think building around Trae is extremely hard, I don't think the Hawks have did their best to do so. They have let Trae down.

Team building is supposed to be extremely hard, if it was easy we could all do it. They have to do the work without taking shortcuts. Sometimes you get lucking, but you at least have to be in posisition to take advantage when the opportunity presents itself.

I think the main problem is there isn't ONE plan, ONE goal or ONE Vision.  Too much instability at the top that becomes easily distracted by stuff that has no bearing on what should be the ONE THING  - putting a team on the court by any means necessary that's worthy of being in championship contention.

• Like 1

Mikal would fit perfectly on the wing. BKN just has a tendency to overvalue their players. However, stats say Dejounte is the better player:

image.png.b4bdee14513183d9b6a277389a04288d.png

I saw a rumor on here yesterday that Detroit was interested in DJM for Ivey + 5. Not sure if that's true...but if a top 10 team wanted DJM, send those assets to BKN for Bridges in a 3-team.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bridges is immediately the best perimeter defender the Hawks have had in years if he joins the roster.  Where are you getting lack of defense with him?

As for the contract, he is grossly underpaid for the next two years.  He will get more after that and he will deserve it.  In the meantime, he is an amazing value.

Bridges literally is everything .... some folks (pause for effect) ....  think Hunter can be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Something like this -

image.thumb.png.4b2824d9f741adfa44b176730ce242f7.png

BKN's pick #5 is actually with the Knicks this year, but was protected. So just imagine #5 being in place of the 2025 Detroit Round 1 above.

And I don't think we should have to include the Sac pick because DJM for Bridges is fair...but it's freaking BKN so it'll have to be an overpay.

• Like 1