• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It is that serious if you don't have anything else to drink.  You're going to die of thirst.

Or maybe the alternative to drinking pickle juice, is drinking prune juice.  You might like the prune juice.

This would be an aggressive offer for KAT, that achieves our objective of acquiring him, while giving them two rotational pieces + the ability for them to shed salary over 7 mill in salary.

image.thumb.png.dbf6e193134b89f3ebbc5249febafda0.png

Minnesota lineup - (PG) Murray .. (G) Edwards - (F) McDaniels - (PF) Hunter - (C) Gobert

Atlanta lineup - (PG) Trae - (G) Bogi - (F) JJ - (PF) Towns - (C) Okongwu

In this scenario, you'd still have Capela on the Hawks, if you wanted to start Towns at PF and Capela at C.

Hawks bench could be - Bufkin - Vit - Mo G ( as a big wing ) - #1 pick - Capela

I want to see Trae play with a good frontline.  But the Hawks have to let go of some of their beliefs, to make a trade like this.

Steelers Depot 7⃣ on X: ""Scared money don't make money." ~ Mike Tomlin  #Steelers #NFL https://t.co/W8sLodN5Tl" / X

I'm not saying I don't like it.  But I'm not not saying I don't not like it either.

It would be less pickley if you took out NAW.  That dude is trash compacted. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Minnesota lineup - (PG) Murray .. (G) Edwards - (F) McDaniels - (PF) Hunter - (C) Gobert

I think Minny would start Naz with Hunter off the bench.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It would be less pickley if you took out NAW.  That dude is trash compacted. 

NAW is a guy you use sparingly, when you need some pesky-ness on defense full court. If he's hitting his shots you play him a little more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

NAW is a guy you use sparingly, when you need some pesky-ness on defense full court. If he's hitting his shots you play him a little more.

Eh, gimme Lundy for that role.

Plus NAW is a Canadan.  That's a big heyul NAWl for me. 🙃

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dallas (38-44) was in the similar position last year. OKC (40-42) wasn't a playoff team, neither was Indy (35-47).  Things change fast in the NBA, nibbling around waits for no man.

Minny was 42-40 last year. Hawks were 41-40.  Two teams that  ended up going in completely opposite directions.

Not going to address most of this post because it lacks nuance or context or any meaningful level of detail needed to make these comparisons genuine.

All I will say is that we will likely be tanking in 2027 if we go this route because KAT is going to be injured or fallen off bad by then, and he's going to be on a toxic contract (think Beal level toxicity).  He'll probably pick up his juicy $60M player option while wearing street clothes all season.  I don't want that for our future even if it means we can make it to the second round of the playoffs for a year or two.  That's not building a sustainable program.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

People forget how KAT used to play when Rudy Gobert didn't occupy the middle.

Fair point to consider — How was Minnesota’s defense at the time?  Was the addition of Gobert to the middle more of a positive than moving KAT to the perimeter was a negative?

(Also, I want Conley instead of NAW if it comes to it)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

(Also, I want Conley instead of NAW if it comes to it)

I think Conley's higher salary won't allow the trade as is.

• Admin

The reason I don't want KAT is that we are adding yet another guy that does not defend.

We have to surround Trae with guys who will defend.  Offense we have a plenty.  We get killed on the other side.  We have to stop the ball.

Two way players should be our focus

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

The reason I don't want KAT is that we are adding yet another guy that does not defend.

We have to surround Trae with guys who will defend.  Offense we have a plenty.  We get killed on the other side.  We have to stop the ball.

Ideally — How much more does Mikal Bridges cost us than KAT?  Maybe if Garland goes somewhere other than NO, we can push for Herb Jones.  

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

That would be my biggest concern.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Ideally — How much more does Mikal Bridges cost us than KAT?  Maybe if Garland goes somewhere other than NO, we can push for Herb Jones.  

Probably a lot more in terms of draft capital.  KAT's contract is going to be a massive liability and his extension only kicks in next year.  Bridges would force a massive bidding war across most teams in the NBA because his archetype is sorely needed by every team.  Bridges is also an iron man when it comes to health, whereas KAT is a 50 game a year player and declining.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The Timberwolves will be paying $172.4 million to five players next season: Karl-Anthony Towns = $49.3 million Rudy Gobert = $43.9 million Anthony Edwards = $42.3 million Jaden McDaniels = $22.9 million Naz Reid = $14.0 million Minnesota’s ongoing ownership war featuring Glen Taylor vs. Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore is another interesting wrinkle to their long-term roster decisions. Minnesota will very likely run it back next season, but Rudy Gobert becomes extension-eligible this offseason. If the Timberwolves fork over a lucrative extension to Gobert, what does the immediate future hold for Towns?

• Like 3

• Admin
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Timberwolves will be paying $172.4 million to five players next season: Karl-Anthony Towns = $49.3 million Rudy Gobert = $43.9 million Anthony Edwards = $42.3 million Jaden McDaniels = $22.9 million Naz Reid = $14.0 million Minnesota’s ongoing ownership war featuring Glen Taylor vs. Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore is another interesting wrinkle to their long-term roster decisions. Minnesota will very likely run it back next season, but Rudy Gobert becomes extension-eligible this offseason. If the Timberwolves fork over a lucrative extension to Gobert, what does the immediate future hold for Towns?

He will be gone.  The fact that they benched him in game 2 in the forth quarter says everything.  I like KAT but as I have said we need defenders.  He is definitely not that.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Brandon Ingram is the Sixers’ Plan B option, if they’re unable to sign Paul George in free agency, per (theringer.com/nba/2024/5/27/). Philadelphia can propose a trade offer to the Pelicans centered around draft picks in exchange for Ingram’s expiring contract.

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Don't let a bad playoff series fool you.   He was damn good in the Phoenix and Denver series as the #2 guy.  He's having a nightmare series against Dallas.

KAT is still the type of upgrade frontcourt talent that this team could use.  I'd much rather bring in KAT, than sign Brandon Ingram to a similar deal.  And Minnesota could definitely use another PG like DJ, who can get his shot off in isolation, along with Ant-Man.

image.thumb.png.caf32d6b552d5e0ca0a2f647330d4879.png

Atlanta gets its star frontcourt player

Minnesota gets its star PG to play with Ant and the ability to shed Wiseman's contract ( if they can do this )

Detroit gets value for trading Wiseman in the form of Hunter and Capela

Minnesota:  (PG) - Murray . . (G) Edwards . . (F) McDaniels . . (PF) Reid . . (C) Gobert

Detroit:  (PG) - Cunningham . . (G) Ivey . . (F) Hunter . . (PF) Stewart . . (C) Duren . . . . (6th man) Capela

Atlanta:  (PG) - Young . . (G) Bogi . . (F) Johnson . . (PF) Okongwu/#1 pick . . (C) KAT

I like this, but unless we have another big wing defender, I'm keeping Hunter on the roster.  I wish some way they could swing a KAT and Mikal Bridges trade.  I'd have to let Bogi go in that scenario though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Won’t be in a similar situation with Trae, KAT, Bogi, OO, and JJ’s extension?   That’s at least $150M (and not a contender).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

He will be gone.  The fact that they benched him in game 2 in the forth quarter says everything.  I like KAT but as I have said we need defenders.  He is definitely not that.  

Is a player being benched during important moments not a telling sign?

• Like 1