• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 minute ago, bird_dirt said:

CC/Dre salary a wash with Lavine’s so the only extra salary is another roster spot. 
Chi could also include Jevon Carter or KB’s favorite prototype player Drummond. 

LaVine contract is terrible. This would be a horrible deal for the Hawks.

16 minutes ago, deester11 said:

That's cool Supes but I'm not a believer in that from him.  Or at least defensively I'll bet on Sarr long term before him. 

Stand your ground, dees.  Have him name another wing with meager wingspan that is considered to have high potential as a POA defender.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sothron said:

From what I shared in the insiders only pm thread:

I'm hearing that we are trying to get the Wizards to move up to 1, we go down to 2 get a future first from them and we take Risacher and they are trying to get another top 5 pick to take Clingan.

I prefer we take Sarr and Clingan or Edey but I can get with a Risacher and Clingan pick. I knew double dipping in this draft is the best move. Sarr nor Risacher solves our big man issues.

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Could be the opposite.  Trae might be thinking Sarr is too raw, and he's looking for solid paint defense, better screening, etc.  Clingan is immediate production in a lot of our weakest areas.  Could easily see Trae wanting Clingan over Sarr.  

Same! Trae feeds off of good screeners and Sarr sets way too many ghost screens. Trae knows what he likes and Clingan is one of the safest picks in this draft.

26 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Our biggest issue is the center spot for production and POA defense. 

Both players mentioned solves both issues. This is obviously a question of preference because the two players mention solve things for the Hawks if that's the direction they want to go in. 

I like Risachers activity on defense. He even had some times where he picked up the ball handler full court. Is he a POA defender? …I don’t think so but I also know his defense isn’t garbage. Clingan is the best defending center in this draft and a perfect fit with Trae. Risacher is a perfect offensive fit with Trae.

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I disagree. I completely disagree. He has the most potential of the NBA ready big wings in terms of POA defense and he's already good and can defend 1-3. 

It will be interesting who does better defensively between him and Sarr on the perimeter. Risacher has faced more talented perimeter offensive players than Sarr so that’s a big takeaway.

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If Trae wants Clingan or Edey, he would be way smarter than I thought he would be in this process. If this is the case, I am proud of Trae for finally realizing, he needs a 5 who's not washed and play with him and optimize us. 

Clingan and Edey would easily be our best center day 1 for the style of play Trae wants to play. 

I agree 1000% and don’t see how this is so hard for people to see.

folks who say Clingan isn’t a Synder guy just didn’t watch what Synder did with Gobert in Utah. It’s actually a foolish statement to say Clingan isn’t a Synder guy…hell based on history it’s very easy to see the Risacher is the spurs type guy so that equals what Fields like and Clingan is this drafts Gobert so that equals Synders liking.

both equal Traes liking in what they bring.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, deester11 said:

All you need is nba2k and a joystick that doesn't drift and you too can be a GM! Just ask Nick.

IMG_4694.gif

Nick: "Guys, I'm crushin' myGm mode this season!"

:Korver: Nick, thats not real, brah.

• Haha 2

@deester11 knows my opinion really doesn't matter to fhe Hawks but Tony, Landry, Quin, Mike, Kyle, Trae, and the other coaches, executives, and scouts matter. 

You got some of those in favor of Sarr but the reality is, we are win now, if we want Clingan, he has to go #1. Otherwise we won't be able to get him as Houston is gonna trade 3 to a Clingan team. Teams are calling to move up for Risacher. San Antonio has reached out. So we got options to trade back and stick and draft Clingan. The reality is that Trae knows Atlanta is the best fit for him long term but we gotta solve that massive issue at center. If they feel a lot stronger on Clingan which I don't than Edey, you gotta draft Clingan if they feel that way. 

At the end of the day, Clingan turns this team into a 48 win team as long as he's healthy. That's how bad we need a true center and how washed CC is. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Trading back to #2 doesn't even pass the sniff test if you’re the Wizards.  There is no consensus #1 pick like last year so this trade means you have to convince WAS that we would pick Sarr instead of the guy we actually want (Risacher) with the number 1 pick.  Why would they buy that?  If Risacher is our guy, wed just pick him at #1 anyways.

And if Trae wants Clingan and is the driving force for our draft pick, thats the tail wagging the dog.  If Trae is threatening to request a trade if we dont pick a win-now rookie or trade our pick, just cut the tail off.  Clingan is not the answer and I really hope the FO isnt looking at Lively in DAL, thinking we can replicate that bc we cant.  We need to stay true to Quin and Landrys player profile philosophies— being able to dribble, shoot, pass, and defend multiple positions.

I think teams trade up one spot all the time.  One reason is they are moving up to prevent another team from doing the same.  If they look at Sarr as the top pick and then they give an asset to be sure THEY pick him over another team's attempted move up.  

Right now we don't know who is in what camp on our draft strategy.  We have Quin, Ressler's, Kyle and Landry, and Trae.  It's interesting to see people make assumptions on who is pushing for what.  

7 minutes ago, JTB said:

I prefer we take Sarr and Clingan or Edey but I can get with a Risacher and Clingan pick. I knew double dipping in this draft is the best move. Sarr nor Risacher solves our big man issues.

Same! Trae feeds off of good screeners and Sarr sets way too many ghost screens. Trae knows what he likes and Clingan is one of the safest picks in this draft.

I like Risachers activity on defense. He even had some times where he picked up the ball handler full court. Is he a POA defender? …I don’t think so but I also know his defense isn’t garbage. Clingan is the best defending center in this draft and a perfect fit with Trae. Risacher is a perfect offensive fit with Trae.

It will be interesting who does better defensively between him and Sarr on the perimeter. Risacher has faced more talented perimeter offensive players than Sarr so that’s a big takeaway.

I agree 1000% and don’t see how this is so hard for people to see.

folks who say Clingan isn’t a Synder guy just didn’t watch what Synder did with Gobert in Utah. It’s actually a foolish statement to say Clingan isn’t a Synder guy…hell based on history it’s very easy to see the Risacher is the spurs type guy so that equals what Fields like and Clingan is this drafts Gobert so that equals Synders liking.

both equal Traes liking in what they bring.

Yeah, if you think Quin wants to go back to the defensive style that was exposed every year in the playoffs because he didn’t have a switchable big.  

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Stand your ground, dees.  Have him name another wing with meager wingspan that is considered to have high potential as a POA defender.

Oh definitely.  Sarr is the player I believe in and he fits regardless of how detractors are going at him. Which there aren't many. They say he had the highest ceiling and I believe that too.  The argument no one is trading up for Sarr doesn't hold a lot of weight either considering the views of many that this is a weak draft. That may be true but I ain't buying it with Sarr. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

@deester11 knows my opinion really doesn't matter to fhe Hawks but Tony, Landry, Quin, Mike, Kyle, Trae, and the other coaches, executives, and scouts matter. 

You got some of those in favor of Sarr but the reality is, we are win now, if we want Clingan, he has to go #1. Otherwise we won't be able to get him as Houston is gonna trade 3 to a Clingan team. Teams are calling to move up for Risacher. San Antonio has reached out. So we got options to trade back and stick and draft Clingan. The reality is that Trae knows Atlanta is the best fit for him long term but we gotta solve that massive issue at center. If they feel a lot stronger on Clingan which I don't than Edey, you gotta draft Clingan if they feel that way. 

At the end of the day, Clingan turns this team into a 48 win team as long as he's healthy. That's how bad we need a true center and how washed CC is. 

Good post @NBASupes. We are on the opposite ends on a few things for sure and the Hawks aren't listening to any/most/all of us.  If I KNEW we could have confidence in this FO, I could get behind what they may be thinking.  But...again...show us.  This is their Super Bowl.  

The insiders may have an inkling to whats going on and the fo/scouts sure know what they want, and I'm not trying to overhype Sarr. I just believe he's exactly what the team needs.  I'm willing take a chance on him. The Hawks may not.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I think teams trade up one spot all the time.  One reason is they are moving up to prevent another team from doing the same.  If they look at Sarr as the top pick and then they give an asset to be sure THEY pick him over another team's attempted move up.  

Right now we don't know who is in what camp on our draft strategy.  We have Quin, Ressler's, Kyle and Landry, and Trae.  It's interesting to see people make assumptions on who is pushing for what.  

Yeah, this is a good point-- we would need to convince Washington we're actually going to trade back though, which would mean we do not want Sarr or Risacher.  I don't know how realistic that is, either.  To the second point, I'm only offering a hypothetical solution to what has been propsoed as a hypothetical want by Trae.  Based on insider reports here, Trae has had influence in the front office decision making that has led us into the difficult roster position we are in today (particularly the Murray trade but other stuff as well).  Appeasing Trae's desires at a tactical level is not a winning long term formula.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I do think an argument can be made that his best future is at 4 tho.  If we can finagle some asset outta WAS but still end up with Sarr, I'd take that.

In fairness, Gobert was good a lot during their run.  But it can't be denied that he was also exposed when it mattered most.  And exposed in the exact way he was exposed for UTA.  It can't be ignored.

And Gobert is the best version of that style of player going.  So folks would be hard-pressed to explain how a lesser version of that expose-able player puts us in the best position to win. 

The other thing is, if you draft Clingan, then your 2-4 positions MUST BE POA DEFENDERS!   They also must be able to shoot, because Clingan is going to give you nothing offensively outside of being a roll man, and you have to have the POA defenders who will fight over screens since you will not be able to switch with Clingan.  

• Like 3

I have a bad feeling with this draft, really bad, I think we are going to do a Luka/Gasol/Marvin draft, something that Will hunt us for decades. When you have the first pick you just go Best Player Available, no matter what.

Drafting a rookie for win now is stupid, no rookie is going to make you win now.

Believing we can win a ring with Trae is also stupid, we would need a completely different roster and another Superstar. I can see us as a contender with JJ, Mikal Bridges, KAT and 2 or 3 3&D wing players, and a defensive Big PG but there is no way we have the pieces to get them.

I understand we like Clingan and Edey, I think they can solve a lot of problems and we should try to get them but not at #1 picks cost. It should be cheap to get a 10-20 pick and get Edey, this is a cheap draft. 

Our roster just don't fit, we should trade CC, DJM at all cost. Hunter, Bogi and OO could also be dealt for the right pieces. Just JJ, Trae, Bufkin and Gueye are keepers, and Sarr.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I have a bad feeling with this draft, really bad, I think we are going to do a Luka/Gasol/Marvin draft, something that Will hunt us for decades. When you have the first pick you just go Best Player Available, no matter what.

Drafting a rookie for win now is stupid, no rookie is going to make you win now.

Believing we can win a ring with Trae is also stupid, we would need a completely different roster and another Superstar. I can see us as a contender with JJ, Mikal Bridges, KAT and 2 or 3 3&D wing players, and a defensive Big PG but there is no way we have the pieces to get them.

I understand we like Clingan and Edey, I think they can solve a lot of problems and we should try to get them but not at #1 picks cost. It should be cheap to get a 10-20 pick and get Edey, this is a cheap draft. 

Our roster just don't fit, we should trade CC, DJM at all cost. Hunter, Bogi and OO could also be dealt for the right pieces. Just JJ, Trae, Bufkin and Gueye are keepers, and Sarr.

your scenario would cause trae in my humble opinion to ask for a trade

• Like 1

hace 5 minutos, HawkingAwesome dijo:

your scenario would cause trae in my humble opinion to ask for a trade

Which is fine for me, there is no way we can get a roster in 2 years that is capable to win with Trae as PG

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Based on insider reports here, Trae has had influence in the front office decision making that has led us into the difficult roster position we are in today (particularly the Murray trade but other stuff as well).  Appeasing Trae's desires at a tactical level is not a winning long term formula.

Careful, you’re going to get @AHF all riled up. 

• Haha 2

Malcolm Brodgon for our TPE and AJ Griffin

CC for JC back since Trae wants JC back.

Clingan at 1 or Edey and Knecht for 4 and 8 any order, just get it done. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2