• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 hour ago, deester11 said:

Who's throwing Hunter /Capela away? These imaginary people are "I think" intimating that as far as pieces of the big picture they don't fit anymore.  CC has diminished skills and Hunter...who's waiting for  him still? I'd trade them for an asset and some Henny.  Not just to get under the tax. They need to be gone so that the Sarr/OO era can begin in Ernest!😂😂

But if they draft Edey/Clingan, I imagine Supes dancing like this :

IMG_4718.gif

Actually it wasn't anyone on this board more so realgm and other trade sites and forums lol.   I look at it as i don't need them to be starters we can get some more young guys like Sarr and others to take over the starting positions sooner than later.  But i for sure would love to have a vet guy or 2 like capela and hunter as insurance and to whomp lesser talented benches every night 🙂   I hate settling for a weaker bench and just get destroyed when the starters go out.

4 hours ago, terrell said:

This lineup Needs a legit shooter with SIZE at the 2 that can defend POA..

No more small players/bad defenders on the floor Trae..

True. I almost didn’t see you post due to our lil spat from a minute ago. 

9 hours ago, Threezus said:

100% agreed on this and when i see people taking hunter and Capela and throwing them away just to get under the tax or making us pay to get rid of them in trades.  It really irritates me and i pass on the trade right away because if we are serious about contending then we need to be as deep as possible.   Hunter showed me what he can do off the bench and that was dominate those lesser talent guys on other teams.  He might not be our starting SF but he sure as heck was making a great case for a very good 2 way 6th man of the year while coming off the bench.  To me that is a very very valuable piece to have on any team even more so incase of injury. 

A 2nd unit of

PG - Vet 2 way guy like Delon Wright
SG - Bogi
SF - Hunter
PF - Mo Gueye
C - Clint Capela

I can for sure get behind and be proud of knowing they can hold it down and whomp most other teams 2nd units. 

Sadly i don't see Ressler's cheap sorry self ever spending to keep a team that deep and make us legit contenders.

The more I’ve looked at this the clearer it gets.  Teams don’t go into the tax to pay bench players big salaries.  They go into the tax for 2-3 starters on max or near max deals.  We have to stop pretending that the top 5-8 teams in the league have success from two bench guys getting paid like that.

We don’t need to keep CC and Hunter.  We need a plan to replace them permanently and use that money on better options.  

Did you know Capela and Hunter are getting paid among the top 72 players in the league?  That means they should be a top 3 player on their team not playing 18 minutes off the bench.  

Edited by Final_quest

• Premium Member

Have we gone through the Durant cycle already this offseason? What’s the word on KD, insiders? Phoenix needs to unload one of the big three (contracts, that is) but Beal isn’t going anywhere and I doubt Booker is either. I imagine they’d want rotation players (a PG specifically) as opposed to picks, which makes Atlanta a good hypothetical trade partner (some combination of DJM, Hunter, Capella, Bogi, OO, AJ, Kings first, and a future first).

I know some around he don’t like him (sorry Spud), but he’s the only player I can think of that (1) is potentially available, (2) moves the needle, and (3) we could possibly afford. He has a lot of miles but his game should continue to age well. 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, AHF said:

Him being grossly overpaid hasn’t changed and last year was not some great breakout for him.

Careful before you bring Sturt back out from the shadows lol

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, supermariowest said:

Have we gone through the Durant cycle already this offseason? What’s the word on KD, insiders? Phoenix needs to unload one of the big three (contracts, that is) but Beal isn’t going anywhere and I doubt Booker is either. I imagine they’d want rotation players (a PG specifically) as opposed to picks, which makes Atlanta a good hypothetical trade partner (some combination of DJM, Hunter, Capella, Bogi, OO, AJ, Kings first, and a future first).

I know some around he don’t like him (sorry Spud), but he’s the only player I can think of that (1) is potentially available, (2) moves the needle, and (3) we could possibly afford. He has a lot of miles but his game should continue to age well. 

Adding KD would immediately put the Hawks in contention as his skillet really compliments Trae and JJ.  But, judging by the words of the owner and GM, it appears Phoenix is set on running it back with a few minor tweaks and with Bud as coach.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Adding KD would immediately put the Hawks in contention as his skillet really compliments Trae and JJ.  But, judging by the words of the owner and GM, it appears Phoenix is set on running it back with a few minor tweaks and with Bud as coach.

Yeah I would count out any trade possibilities involving KD especially with Bud in phx now.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Final_quest said:

The more I’ve looked at this the clearer it gets.  Teams don’t go into the tax to pay bench players big salaries.  They go into the tax for 2-3 starters on max or near max deals.  We have to stop pretending that the top 5-8 teams in the league have success from two bench guys getting paid like that.

We don’t need to keep CC and Hunter.  We need a plan to replace them permanently and use that money on better options.  

Did you know Capela and Hunter are getting paid among the top 72 players in the league?  That means they should be a top 3 player on their team not playing 18 minutes off the bench.  

If some of the starters are on rookie scale contracts then this doesn’t matter as long as the team is performing well.

also Capela is on an expiring contract this next season, it would be nice to trade him and get some value for him but if you can’t then just hold on to him and let him hit free agency.

As for Hunter, his value is down and we need to get it back up so we don’t lose out on another trade just to dump his salary.

Salary dumping is the reason the hawks aren’t good today. These players value isn’t going to go back up without significant amount of games being played anyways.

On 6/1/2024 at 3:07 PM, Gray Mule said:

Hawks should listen to all their players, not just one.  After they listen, they should then go ahead and do what they were going to do anyway.  This is my advice.  They have never listened to any of my advice.

Hawk's owner wants to win.  Why wouldn't he.  The better the record, the more valuable the team becomes.

Too many cooks will spoil the broth.  Get out of the way of our GM and let him do his thing.

:smug:

The Hawks making their own decisions hasn’t really worked out well so what’s the worst that could happen 

22 hours ago, kg01 said:

I tried to tell people this over the last few seasons.  Whenever a "report" about the Hawks would come up on nbaradio, it would be pretty clear I came from him or his camp.

There were never any reports(sic) that painted him in a negative light. 

The only reports that ever leaked were about how unhappy he was so it was pretty obvious lol

14 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

True. I almost didn’t see you post due to our lil spat from a minute ago. 

We're all Hawks fans here.. Spats will happen from time to time...... 😀

1 hour ago, JTB said:

If some of the starters are on rookie scale contracts then this doesn’t matter as long as the team is performing well.

also Capela is on an expiring contract this next season, it would be nice to trade him and get some value for him but if you can’t then just hold on to him and let him hit free agency.

As for Hunter, his value is down and we need to get it back up so we don’t lose out on another trade just to dump his salary.

Salary dumping is the reason the hawks aren’t good today. These players value isn’t going to go back up without significant amount of games being played anyways.

CC’s value went down last season, but it’s not toxic and holds a modicum of value since it’s an expiring contract. 
I actually think Hunter’s value went up a little last season. He started showing more offensively and even a little more rebounding than he has in the past. His biggest drawback is health and being a little overpriced contract. Honestly, though, his contract becomes less of an issue as the tax line goes up. 
He’s a decent player or trade piece if healthy. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Careful before you bring Sturt back out from the shadows lol

We’ve already suffered a diminished season from his loss and suffered the bitter pull of a brutal trade.  No reason to go back now.

1 hour ago, JTB said:

Just saying Capela and Hunter would be two of the highest paid bench players in the league.  Teams do not pay bench guys $20M/year.  Only Malcolm Brogdon and Jordan Clarkson are in that category and they both start at times.  

Multiple bench guys getting paid like that is not the approach anyone is taking.  

44 minutes ago, deester11 said:

😂😂😂 I've raked him over the coals long enough.  But I defer to your method.  Lol

Hunter had some nice moments last year.  This may sound crazy, but heard a suggestion to trade Hunter to make way for Vit.  Similar to moving Collins so Jalen could play.  

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Hunter had some nice moments last year.  This may sound crazy, but heard a suggestion to trade Hunter to make way for Vit.  Similar to moving Collins so Jalen could play.  

I don’t have anywhere near the same confidence in Vit as I did Jalen.  Not even remotely close.  There is a reason he was on a 2-way deal at age 23.  30 teams didn’t see it worth it to then to even make him their 13th guy last year.  Doesn’t mean he can’t take a big leap but the odds are so much worse than a highly touted prospect who flourished when given steady minutes.