• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, terrell said:

This is what I meant.. lol

In the trade context, he is filler to open up a roster spot with someone NO won't miss.  For us, we could have used him last year so at least we wouldn't have to resort to playing SFs at that position if Nance is healthy.  I'd love to see Gueye step up as well.  Based on history, we'll probably have a stretch where JJ is hurt so this would be useful depth for us even if we would never target him in the trade.

32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I keep seeing a lot of this....it makes sense since they want to move BI and not pay him, makes sense since they really need a PG to maximize Zion......there is a cost in doing that.

That’s fair …it’s really the Herb addition that makes it hard to believe it’s a good deal for the pelicans. Herb is on an extremely cheap contract and has DPOY potential.

unless they think Murphy can do what Herb does it’s hard to see the benefit of this but I get it, to maximize Zion they need a playmaker and DJ is on a great contract.

Perhaps they believe they could still be a top defensive team with Murray, Murphy, Zion, Capela….it looks good on paper defensively so maybe I’m answering my own question.

35 minutes ago, terrell said:

This is crazy thinking IMO

Hawks are winning the Championship NEXT season......smh

If they take Clingan they better believe he's just better long term for us over Sarr....

Clingan long term for us is dependent upon the roster build out. Probably not the answer you want but it’s the truth.

i don’t mean that Clingan won’t be in DPOY runnings. I think that’s going to happen no matter where he lands…. Clingan will be the best version of himself with a Trae like player so that’s only 3 players who can maximize Clingan and that’s Trae, Luka, & Harden.

If we sign Trae long term which should be our number 1 goal than Clingan is the better pick over Sarr in my opinion…especially if that Pelicans rumor goes down where we acquire Ingram and Herb Jones.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JTB said:

Clingan long term for us is dependent upon the roster build out. Probably not the answer you want but it’s the truth.

i don’t mean that Clingan won’t be in DPOY runnings. I think that’s going to happen no matter where he lands…. Clingan will be the best version of himself with a Trae like player so that’s only 3 players who can maximize Clingan and that’s Trae, Luka, & Harden.

If we sign Trae long term which should be our number 1 goal than Clingan is the better pick over Sarr in my opinion…especially if that Pelicans rumor goes down where we acquire Ingram and Herb Jones.

If Trae was on his rookie deal where the Hawks had more certainty about keeping him longer, perhaps I could understand this reasoning.  But he is not and taking a lower ceiling prospect for fit with someone who may not be here longterm just doesn't seem the best way to go.

38 minutes ago, JTB said:

That’s fair …it’s really the Herb addition that makes it hard to believe it’s a good deal for the pelicans. Herb is on an extremely cheap contract and has DPOY potential.

unless they think Murphy can do what Herb does it’s hard to see the benefit of this but I get it, to maximize Zion they need a playmaker and DJ is on a great contract.

Perhaps they believe they could still be a top defensive team with Murray, Murphy, Zion, Capela….it looks good on paper defensively so maybe I’m answering my own question.

Capela clogs the lane for Zion on Offense..

They need a stretch 5.. lol

Edited by terrell

1 minute ago, bird_dirt said:

🤫🤫🤫

I think what you meant to say is Clint takes a lot of rebounding and defensive pressure off of Zion. He would be a great fit!

Defensively I guess if Clint plays like the old Clint..

On Offense meh...

Plus Murray cant throw lobs.. Zion and especially CC need a lob thrower. lol

36 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

If Trae was on his rookie deal where the Hawks had more certainty about keeping him longer, perhaps I could understand this reasoning.  But he is not and taking a lower ceiling prospect for fit with someone who may not be here longterm just doesn't seem the best way to go.

Fair point.

agreed. That’s why I go back and forth between Sarr and Clingan lol

Just now, Sothron said:

They get 3 starters for 2 starters and back up and Capela is an expiring. New Orleans will never pay the luxury tax. Brad Rowland has mentioned this multiple times on his Locked On Hawks podcast. If you think Ressler is cheap, and he is, the Pels are even worse. They will *not* pay the LT which is why Ingram has to go. 

Ok gotcha! I knew there had to be some kind of twist to this.

now that you mention it I recall this being pointed out before about the pelicans owner. Thanks for the reminder. So getting a team friendly contract in DJ and an expiring in Capela not to mention locked up Hunter is intriguing for a cheap owner who just want to stay relevant 😂 

man Zion may blow up after seeing that trade though lol. It still feels very one sided in favor of the hawks.

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

They get 3 starters for 2 starters and back up and Capela is an expiring. New Orleans will never pay the luxury tax. Brad Rowland has mentioned this multiple times on his Locked On Hawks podcast. If you think Ressler is cheap, and he is, the Pels are even worse. They will *not* pay the LT which is why Ingram has to go. 

They already had that with Jonas V. They need a rebounder/defensive center more than anything which is why Capela is a great fit for them.

I’m sure we will all help drive them to New Orleans.  This trade without OO or any picks would be the best trade I can remember us making. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Hawkish said:

I’m sure we will all help drive them to New Orleans.  This trade without OO or any picks would be the best trade I can remember us making. 

There's two trades being discussed, I listed the other one. This is the best case scenario I mentioned that some in the FO want to happen. And yes, as @Mikey has said Clingan is still in consideration for #1. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Understood — I don’t see a reason/benefit behind the version without Herb.  He is the reason to speak to NO at all.  

No Herb means a big pass or that the Hawks FO is really stupid or that Ressler is interfering.  Only the pass option is a good thing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Sothron said:

There's two trades being discussed, I listed the other one. This is the best case scenario I mentioned that some in the FO want to happen. And yes, as @Mikey has said Clingan is still in consideration for #1. 

Why does Ressler like/want Clingan so badly?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

It isn't just Ressler. Clingan is probably the best defensive center in the draft. He's also smart, a great pass and screener and has shown the ability to shoot from three. There's a lot to like there, frankly.

I can't trust the shooting part because that hasn't been displayed in actual games.  I remember Dwight Howard shooting threes and free throws proficiently in his summer workouts too.  I'd be cautious about the shooting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1