• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

58 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

🤫🤫🤫

I think what you meant to say is Clint takes a lot of rebounding and defensive pressure off of Zion. He would be a great fit!

I take it your're hoping David Griffin sees this? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AtLaS said:

I think Sarr will be a much better defender than Clingan, and no question a better lob threat.  He's much more versatile, can switch and protect the paint.  He needs to add some more weight but he's already added 8 lbs in less than a year.  He's not THAT small right now.

Clingan can't shoot FTs so that will always be an issue at crunchtime.  Clogs the lane so that's always going to affect Trae.  And Clingan style defenders get exploited in the playoffs.  See Gobert.  It happens every year.

How can he be a better lob threat if he's 50% of layups and can't handle physicality. 

What Sarr is, isn't the player ya'll put in your head that he is.

46 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They get 3 starters for 2 starters and back up and Capela is an expiring. New Orleans will never pay the luxury tax. Brad Rowland has mentioned this multiple times on his Locked On Hawks podcast. If you think Ressler is cheap, and he is, the Pels are even worse. They will *not* pay the LT which is why Ingram has to go. 

They already had that with Jonas V. They need a rebounder/defensive center more than anything which is why Capela is a great fit for them.

Most of his rebounds come from his own missed bunnies...😀

And 2024 Capela is a defensive center?  Meh

Edited by terrell

14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

It isn't just Ressler. Clingan is probably the best defensive center in the draft. He's also smart, a great pass and screener and has shown the ability to shoot from three. There's a lot to like there, frankly.

Clearly. Sarr is a better overall defender than Clingan but he's a terrible defender at the 5 and Edey is way better at the 5 than Sarr on defense and he's light years better offensively than Sarr. Sarr is a big wing that is raw af at being a big wing. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I can't trust the shooting part because that hasn't been displayed in actual games.  I remember Dwight Howard shooting threes and free throws proficiently in his summer workouts too.  I'd be cautious about the shooting.

Dwight has never been someone that even wanted to shoot 3s like that. He just does it to do it. Whereas it's a part of someone like Al Horford game. 

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

When he was healthy last season he definitely was. I know we focus on his missing too many bunnies at times but he still is a defender and rebounder. The only reason we had that ECF run was because Capela played at a DPOY level that season.

"that season"

I agree

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Dwight has never been someone that even wanted to shoot 3s like that. He just does it to do it. Whereas it's a part of someone like Al Horford game. 

That's wasn't the point.  Dwight was used as an example because he shot tremendously in an open gym, but that skillset didn't translate to actual games.  Clingan has never displayed the ability to shoot in games and was not a good free throw shooter.  I'm not saying he can't develop those skills, but just pointing out that him doing it in an open gym vs in game should be viewed differently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

How can he be a better lob threat if he's 50% of layups and can't handle physicality. 

What Sarr is, isn't the player ya'll put in your head that he is.

The Sarr fantasy vs reality needs some balance.  HFTV proclaimed that Sarr would make us a top 15 defense by himself next year.  

• Like 2

The Spurs are exploring the idea of potentially packaging Nos. 4 and 8 overall to move up with the Hawks to No. 1, per @DraftExpress. Hawks head coach Quin Snyder is reportedly a fan of Donovan Clingan, who Atlanta could secure in a trade-back scenario with San Antonio.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sothron said:

When he was healthy last season he definitely was. I know we focus on his missing too many bunnies at times but he still is a defender and rebounder. The only reason we had that ECF run was because Capela played at a DPOY level that season.

He was statistically our best defender and rebounder last year.  Capela declined, but I think he can contribute as a decent starter next year for the right team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

The Spurs are exploring the idea of potentially packaging Nos. 4 and 8 overall to move up with the Hawks to No. 1, per @DraftExpress. Hawks head coach Quin Snyder is reportedly a fan of Donovan Clingan, who Atlanta could secure in a trade-back scenario with San Antonio.

Hawks are really gonna let Sarr team up with Wemby aren't they?

Good luck scoring in the paint on that squad in a few years.. lol

Hopefully they want Risacher..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sothron said:

It isn't just Ressler. Clingan is probably the best defensive center in the draft. He's also smart, a great pass and screener and has shown the ability to shoot from three. There's a lot to like there, frankly.

He has not shown the ability to shoot the three point shot, and there are literally no positive in game indicators that suggest he will be able to shoot.  

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

He has not shown the ability to shoot the three point shot, and there are literally no positive in game indicators that suggest he will be able to shoot.  

I can't disagree with what shot diet he was only allowed to use in college. In the combine and private workouts he's apparently lighting it up from three point range. If he's a younger version of current Brook Lopez which is what I think is his most likely comparison to modern bigs then that's an asset. 

9 minutes ago, terrell said:

Lawd someone get my guy @KB21!

image.gif.17e6e3f360b673436b9d624e91701729.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

It’s not really a probably…It’s a fact that Clingan is this drafts best defensive CENTER.

and it should be no surprise that Synder who also loved Gobert, loves Clingan.

I knew this wasn’t just Ressler when you first mentioned it Soth. Clingan isn’t a sexy draft pick that’s going to put butts in seats…that would be Sarr IF he reaches his potential in a few years from now.

Clingan is obviously the best pick in this draft for the hawks. Outside of Edey.

• Like 1

Clingan would definitely have to beat the odds to become a shooter. Examples of guys who were completely non shooters in college becoming quality shooters? Few and far between no doubt. 

6 minutes ago, JTB said:

Lawd someone get my guy @KB21!

image.gif.17e6e3f360b673436b9d624e91701729.gif

I don't mind that, more bites of the apple.