• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

8 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I handled this is another thread.  Cost value proposition of 2 picks ready to play vs #1 not ready to play and total cost of those picks.

This makes me sad, tc.  Why do all the Insider reports make me sad? 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Sounds like we are going to overthink and screw this opportunity up out of sheer fear of the unknown.

Quin and his staff have the reputation of being excellent at player development, but sure, let’s take the “safe” choices and ignore upside when that’s supposed to be their strength. 

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This makes me sad, tc.  Why do all the Insider reports make me sad? 

I'm not here to make you happy. I'm here to keep the conversation grounded.  This year has felt like the old board as far as roster building knowledge goes. People aren't quite at the insane NBA2K crazy trade stage (Let's get Lebron for G.Matthews and a 2nd) but they're proposing things in a very tight thought bubble without considering the constraints or implications.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

So, they are going to pass on a legit modern NBA big man archetype to get a slow plodding drop big and a shooter that can't defend.  

Typical Hawks man.  So hard to root for this team sometimes.   I desparately hope this is all smoke

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AtLaS said:

Typical Hawks man.  So hard to root for this team sometimes.   I desparately hope this is all smoke

The Sarr hype was the original smoke. They were trying to build value for others to want to trade for #1. Most people were happy trying to trade into 3-10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

All of a sudden our coaching staff that taught Clint how to execute DHO’s and got Vit to play defense can’t teach a 19 year old how to set a proper screen.

The same coach that taught basic footwork fundamentals to a late 20’s DMC and turned him into a starter level talent. The same coach that D Mitchell told Trae he would learn and grow under. That coach needs a low ceiling, “ready to play”, safe pick, and not one with all of the raw tools to be a weapon once developed.

Im not buying the logic if thats true.

There's a lot in here to respond to but let's go easy. Have you personally watched the video of him actively avoiding contact when setting screens? Dude is really passive on contact, even against smaller players.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'm not here to make you happy. I'm here to keep the conversation grounded.  This year has felt like the old board as far as roster building knowledge goes. People aren't quite at the insane NBA2K crazy trade stage (Let's get Lebron for G.Matthews and a 2nd) but they're proposing things in a very tight thought bubble without considering the constraints or implications.

Here's where you're wrong, bro. 🥹 IYKYK

Welcome back, Kotter.

And I'm fortunate in that I can be both totally grounded and completely off the wall at the same time. 

34 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Risacher is the top prospect at this point by most NBA FO and not Sarr. 

Incorrect my friend. Driven agenda is what it is.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sothron said:

We will take Clingan at 4 and someone like Knecht at 8 to give Trae a shooter. 

So when I come and say this didn’t happen will you be upset with me?

• Haha 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I've really been trying to stay out of the insider stuff but "who" we take won't be settled until after we finish our private workouts.

Part of the private workouts, especially for the most coveted picks, is having input into who you work out with.  The teams like to control who you work out against, but the players/agents will try to coordinate you working out with people you know/like/compliment you.  Big men wanting guards that they work well with, guards wanting big men that compliment their games.  Shooters want people who pass well, passers want big men with good hands, good at getting open.

Most workouts are 4 people, 2v2 workouts as well as individual.  Teams allow coordination, especially if the matched players relate to people already on their roster and lots of players agree because it can get them on a team's radar in the 2nd round if they weren't already.

The Hawks have yet to work out 1 major prospect. That's expected next week or early the following week.

The current mock draft from the ringer is linked here.https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft Notables expected to go pick 4 or lower: 

4. Matas Buzelis

6. Stephon Castle

8. Nikola Topic

9. Kel'el Ware

12. Zach Edey

13. Dalton Knecht

14. Ron Holland

So if you're trying to figure out who'd they take if they traded down to 4/8 or 7/14 (there would be a future pick in there too), look at this list. Who are you taking 4 and 8...not necessarily where they are slotted. At 4/8 Risacher, Sarr, Clingan are already off the board.

So something like:

Buzelis / Ware

Castle / Edey

Ware / Knecht

Holland / Edey

Etc.  This group feels like a group that will end up being 50% hit and 50% bust.  Tough to tell which will be which.  

Seems like we'd be better off trading down and getting a future pick from a team expected to be bad.   (Maybe the protection could include the ability to pass on it if it isn't a good enough pick.)

• Moderators

I'm convinced on Sarr.  Most 19 year olds aren't seeking out contact when they just get to pro ball.  He's good at the things that are hard to teach and bad at the things you can learn in the NBA quickly.   And he's got the size we've been wishing we had.  we'll regret not taking him.   I like Risacher also but he seems more like a project to me.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1