• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, DJM and the 8th pick for what will essentially be Herb Jones as the only positive acquisition for the Hawks?  NO!

So in other words, we are going to gifted Spurs with another lottery pick for the next three years (btw, that team screams Play-in team all the way).

59 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I posted a video of him showing lots of possessions. Some of them good and included the not so good. There is a 4 possession stretch where commits a charge, bricks a 3, gets blocked at the rim by a stiff and then catches a pass and immediately travels.  In that same video there are many instances of him ghosting the pick or committing an offensive foul moving too soon.  He'd need a full season at College Park just to fix his pick setting instincts alone but he bails at contact on setting the pick. Avoids it on instinct. Its legions worse than anything we have on the current roster. Gueye is much better than him at setting picks. In the NBL he could get away with that off the bench. NBA, setting picks for Trae/Murray....uh..no!

Not to go back and forth but it’s very possible that “he could get away with it in the NBL” could also be why he was allowed to do it, or not coached out of doing it. Just like some leagues allow goaltending or no defensive 3 seconds. It could be attributed to the style of play around him, and something he will adjust to in the NBA if Quin needs to pull it out of him.

No prospect in this draft is flawless, which is why it’s widely considered to be a weak draft in the first place.

Sarr’s weakness at age 19 are not career defining. I saw Trae make Wemby look completely lost on defense to where Pop pulled him in both games. Doesn’t mean his upside is any less.

It will take time, but certain skills can be taught. Some things cannot. Sarrs mobility at his height is not common, and is more useful against the rising crop of NBA bigs than a drop big who still couldn’t keep up with Embiid or Jokic when they play out in space.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

It all depends on who they pick.  I think the most likely scenario sees Sarr / Risacher / Clingan in the first 3 picks.

If you take Ware, he looks like he has FT% potential.  He shot 71% last year and shot 42% from 3 this season.  Edey was a solid free throw shooter.  Both Ware and Edey have shot better than Sarr did (on free throws or 3's) so that isn't a straight given that Sarr will be better than both of them at both of those shooting skills.  

Among the guards and wings, there are obviously guys who can dribble and guys who can hit their fts (and some guys who will struggle with one or both of those).  

All these guys have some intriguing skills and some real warts.

Edey is never going to be a shooter, and he's going to be horrible defensively.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Edey is never going to be a shooter, and he's going to be horrible defensively.  

What does this have to do with whether he hits free throws?  That was the part of Gray Mule's post to which I was responding.  He talked about free throw shooting.  Edey is a good free throw shooter and that should be expected to continue.

Jump shooting was not part of his post.  I only raised that with respect to Ware because his high 3pt% last year offsets his drop in FT% to give me some confidence that he will end up being a good FT shooter.

9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Let me toss a grenade into this entire conversation.

This stinks — Keldon/Blake are neutral.  

Just say “no” to trading with the Spurs…

DJ | Vass | Risacher | Sochan | Wemby could be exceptional defensively.  

They know how to leverage the foreign talent.

Edited by Hawkish
  • Like 1

That Spurs trade pales in comparison to the suggested Pelicans deals.

I would rather work with them on a DJ trade. The pick swap for #4 and #8 is meh. If we made a deal happen with the Pels first, I could palate coming off of #1. 

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

#1 for #4 and #8 is not an exciting trade for me but I at least get the rationale.  I wouldn't be inclined to do it but your mileage may vary.

DJM for Keldon Johnson + Hawks 2025 pick is not interesting unless we are trading Trae and blowing up the team.  Johnson is not a particularly good player.  Our pick next year would be nice to have back but I think the expectation should be that we are back in the playoffs next year which makes it less exciting.  I want a return for trading DJM that moves the needle more than this or at least has higher upside.

So I think the players they included were included for salary matching. Was an interesting pitch to me because its give up the top pick + DJM (so basically 2 players) for 3 picks and 2 former back half of the draft first round picks.  That's the initial thought from a Spurs fan.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

And no.. 4 and 8 is a 1 out of 10 on the haul scale.

Usually that would clearly be the case.  I can at least see a case for it this year given how flat the talent is supposed to be in the lottery.  I can't really imagine us walking away from this draft without Risacher or Sarr but sounds like Quin and others among our decision-makers might see things differently.

11 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Only way Hawks trade #1 is for a huge haul. All the fan fiction is just ridiculous.

And no.. 4 and 8 is a 1 out of 10 on the haul scale.

I hope we see that haul of fame trade (in our favor).

Edited by Hawkish

38 minutes ago, AHF said:

Usually that would clearly be the case.  I can at least see a case for it this year given how flat the talent is supposed to be in the lottery.  I can't really imagine us walking away from this draft without Risacher or Sarr but sounds like Quin and others among our decision-makers might see things differently.

[Discussion around credibility of insiders removed]

As for the first part of your post... these players haven't changed from the March/April timeframe.. you'll see every angle turned but at the end of the day we know the best talent out there.

Sarr then Risacher..

Any other take is pretty ridiculous

What's funny is people want to ridicule draft year talent then re-evaluate years later.. doesn't that show you something? If it doesn't I can't help you.