• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

we have a winner

Wonder what that would cost and how that series of deals would end up netting out.  While I am not in the Clingan > Sarr camp, at least this gets us Risacher, Sarr or Clingan instead of scenarios where we are picking from the leftovers after those 3.  (For some teams, I would value Castle or Sheppard or whoever over Clingan but not for us.)

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

You forgot to put Herb in this lineup. One of the proposed trades, the 2nd I posted, was DJM, Capela and Hunter for Ingram, Herb and Nance. 

So that lineup you posted changes to:

Trae/Kobe

Ingram/Bogi/Knecht

Herb/Vit/Knecht

JJ/Nance

Clingan/OO

That's IMO a very good team in the EC for 2024/25 season-onwards. 

I didn't because he wasn't part of the trade to which I was responding.  There was no Herb in the trade to which I was responding.

I responded separately to your proposal.  I clearly like it better and view it as a trade for Herb and a single season trial run with pending UFA Ingram before he gets $50M or so a year after next season.  Herb is a great value.  Ingram is much sketchier.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

FWIW...if we do the SAS trade I feel we are absolutely doing it to get Clingan at either 4 or moving up to 3 with a side trade with Houston to ensure we get Clingan. Quin really, really likes Risacher and Clingan in this draft. 

I am fully prepared to hear the commish announce we have a trade of the number one pick shortly after we draft the kid just like what happened with Luka when for about three minutes I was in absolute hysteria of joy we got a generational talent only to see him traded for Trae.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

I didn't because he wasn't part of the trade to which I was responding.  There was no Herb in the trade to which I was responding.

I responded separately to your proposal.  I clearly like it better and view it as a trade for Herb and a single season trial run with pending UFA Ingram before he gets $50M or so a year after next season.  Herb is a great value.  Ingram is much sketchier.

sorry, I'm trying to catch up and answer DMs and still work at the same time

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So we get Clingan, Herb Jones, and BI for Murray, #1 pick, and i guess Capela or Hunter?  

So basically it costs us 4 first round picks including this year's #1 to get Herb Jones and Clingan. 

The 3 firsts we gave up for DJM are spilled milk at this point.  We need to trade Trae or DJM so I don't begrudge a trade of DJM for Herb which would get us a standout wing defender on a great contract.  Any trades with our #1 pick are a separate analysis for me.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don’t understand this sentiment. This number 1 pick isn’t good. This player would not go top 5 in many of the recent drafts… 

could perhaps not even sniff top 10 next draft. Getting the guy you want all long and adding one of the best perimeter defenders is a good deal. Many of you just have fallen in love with the idea of sarr 

People said the same thing about kyrie. Great teams are built behind the concept of buying low. 

$50 million for a guy who doesn't fit what Quin wants because he is slow to make a decision on what he wants to do and isn't a big three point shooter isn't buying low.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

If we missed out on clingan at 4, is it crazy to go with edey there?

Yes.  That would be the stupidest move of all.

Classic meltdown.  We got a shot at a really complete team with these moves. Clingan, Herb, and Ingram would be a huge boost. The east is wide open.  

I think the Sarr reality vs fantasy is a huge gap for some people.  The Spurs don’t even want Sarr.  He can’t screen, rebound, or catch passes.  I still would be stoked to have him, but I definitely see his flaws.  

A lot can change in 3 weeks.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
Just now, Final_quest said:

Classic meltdown.  We got a shot at a really complete team with these moves. Clingan, Herb, and Ingram would be a huge boost. The east is wide open.  

I think the Sarr reality vs fantasy is a huge gap for some people.  The Spurs don’t even want Sarr.  He can’t screen, rebound, or catch passes.  I still would be stoked to have him, but I definitely see his flaws.  

In fairness, the deal that Sothron posted was Hunter, Capela, and DJM for Herb, Nance, and Ingram so you could add Herb and Ingram and still add Sarr on top of that.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

Exactly. You've heard people around the team that have direct media connections like Brad from Locked on hawks mention this several times: we aren't the usual team that gets the #1 pick. Those teams are usually stripped down and taking best player available and just trying to develop prospects. We are a team that barely missed the playoffs that has a decent roster already and a proven HC. 

We also have the elephant in the room for a superstar in Trae that's tired of losing and a cheap FO and wants to win now with a real roster around him. Moving off #1 to get better pieces for a team now versus three years from now makes sense. We can disagree with that approach as fans, sure, but it does make sense.

And...it keeps Tony Ressler from paying #1 salary on a team that's already at or going to be over the LT. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Edey discussion belongs on the Edey thread.  We've had a few posts dipping our toes into it but please go there if you have a fresh opinion to offer on him.  No insider is suggesting anything that involves Edey here.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

The 3 firsts we gave up for DJM are spilled milk at this point.  We need to trade Trae or DJM so I don't begrudge a trade of DJM for Herb which would get us a standout wing defender on a great contract.  Any trades with our #1 pick are a separate analysis for me.

Everyone says we gave up 3 firsts for Murray, we didn’t.  One of them was a fake first that turned into two seconds.  Then there is a potential pick swap.  

Hawks become a 50+ win teams in 2025 and 2027, that trade looks very different.  The main impact of the trade is it’s eliminating a rebuilding option for us.  

In any scenario we aren’t giving up three firsts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Exactly. You've heard people around the team that have direct media connections like Brad from Locked on hawks mention this several times: we aren't the usual team that gets the #1 pick. Those teams are usually stripped down and taking best player available and just trying to develop prospects. We are a team that barely missed the playoffs that has a decent roster already and a proven HC. 

We also have the elephant in the room for a superstar in Trae that's tired of losing and a cheap FO and wants to win now with a real roster around him. Moving off #1 to get better pieces for a team now versus three years from now makes sense. We can disagree with that approach as fans, sure, but it does make sense.

And...it keeps Tony Ressler from paying #1 salary on a team that's already at or going to be over the LT. 

And when the player you pass on is a significantly better player in 3 years when you are trying to find ways to adjust when your pick is getting played off the floor because he is too limited to defensively, then what?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sothron said:

FWIW...if we do the SAS trade I feel we are absolutely doing it to get Clingan at either 4 or moving up to 3 with a side trade with Houston to ensure we get Clingan. Quin really, really likes Risacher and Clingan in this draft. 

I am fully prepared to hear the commish announce we have a trade of the number one pick shortly after we draft the kid just like what happened with Luka when for about three minutes I was in absolute hysteria of joy we got a generational talent only to see him traded for Trae.

Dont remind me........:sad:

If we do this shit again, this organization will NEVER recover...

Laughing stock is what we'll be once again.... smh

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

In fairness, the deal that Sothron posted was Hunter, Capela, and DJM for Herb, Nance, and Ingram so you could add Herb and Ingram and still add Sarr on top of that.

That wasn’t directed at you.  A lot of reactions are coming in.  

6 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

That wasn’t directed at you.  A lot of reactions are coming in.  

We may have to send KB to therapy.  Hang in there, brutha. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Everyone says we gave up 3 firsts for Murray, we didn’t.  One of them was a fake first that turned into two seconds.  Then there is a potential pick swap.  

In any scenario we aren’t giving up three firsts.  

The Charlotte pick is still a first that may convey next year. It is just like our Sacramento first and may end up turning into second rounders if the protections prevent it from conveying.  But you are incorrect to say there isn't any scenario we give up 3 picks.  If the Charlotte pick isn't in the lottery next year, we are guaranteed to give up 3 firsts.  I think the bigger point is that the Charlotte pick it isn't guaranteed to convey and at this point should be looked at as likely converting to second round picks.

Hawks become a 50+ win teams in 2025 and 2027, that trade looks very different.  The main impact of the trade is it’s eliminating a rebuilding option for us.  

You are correct here that our 2025, 2026 and 2027 picks could be low value.  They could also be extremely high value.  If in 2025, 2026, or 2027 we are in the same position we are in this year, the Spurs will own the #1 overall pick that year from us.  In theory, we could actually end up giving up the #1 pick every year for the next 3 years but this is entirely dependent on (a) how good we are (if we aren't in the lottery that clearly can't happen) and (b) how lucky those picks are if we are in the lottery - our low % converted to the #1 this year but that was beating the odds.