• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Yeah @Hawkmoor out here peacockin' like the roastin is over.  Good luck with that, moo. 

I earned that after the way I was clowned about Kyrie and you know you was the main one, lmao

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952vtzytgcbruoarscdob8

Gonna leave something for Trae while I'm at it:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952mese2jyyi2lgxg6e198

Edited by Hawkmoor

11 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Unless Lebron or KD walk through the door I don’t know how Trae could think we are going to be contenders overnight. There are a handful of players with that impact and none will be in a Hawks jersey next season.

You have to keep it real. A DJ for BI swap is keeping equal talent. Him plus Herb equals better fits next to Trae. If Quin can turn DJ and Hunter in to volume 3 point shooters then I trust he can convince Ingram to do the same.

Any deals that are centered around replacing key players for cap relief and picks are what’s going to drive Trae away. We have to spend money. But I don’t think that dictates the draft. This pick was a gift and a curse. We weren’t ever getting a day 1 contributor from this draft but now the pressure is on to make the most of the 1st pick because it not only defines our franchise, but the rest of the league as well.

We CAN become Conference title contenders overnight. That's literally what happened to Dallas and Indiana.

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah I know we disagree on Sarr as a player -- I don't judge prospects for who they are today, only by what I think they can become and how confident I am they will get there.  No prospect is going to help us next year or in 3 years if they don't improve significantly from what they are today.

I was only noting that your posts were pretending like trading the #1 pick is a cap saving move when it is objectively not.

Trade 1 for 4/8. Pick the right 2 (my opinion is Edey/Knecht but I accept that's not popular) and they're objectively better next year than Sarr and or any vet you can sign for the minimum.

Our biggest issue last year was forward depth. With Bey being out of the picture, we need 1 extra forward for depth and 1 to replace Bey. We aren't finding that for the vet min. Our 2nd biggest issue was size. Taking a tall but light center doesn't address either issue. Losing Bey makes us smaller (at least strength). Vit is going to get a shot but he's light. We need size, an enforcer on the floor, lots of little things. One future center is the right answer for a team rebuilding post tank. It does nothing for us today.

23 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

The context of the post I responded to (that you then responded to me) was about winning now and trading the first pick for #4 and #8!!!

Sheesh.

This is all becoming a big ol' mosh pit.  Blokes swingin' and kickin' at each other indiscriminately. 

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If you take Clingan, he might be the team’s 5th or 6th best player as a rookie.  When he’s in his third year, he’s still going to be no better than the 5th or 6th best player on the team.  

Alex Sarr is probably the 3rd best player on the team by year three.  

Donovan “Mace Plumlee” Clingan. Ya pretty much his ceiling already hit his head a lil.

10 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah I know we disagree on Sarr as a player -- I don't judge prospects for who they are today, only by what I think they can become and how confident I am they will get there.  No prospect is going to help us next year or in 3 years if they don't improve significantly from what they are today.

I was only noting that your posts were pretending like trading the #1 pick is a cap saving move when it is objectively not.

I think a big part of what Campster is saying is that having two rookies who are contributing rotation players (as players who fit the current team construct) is a better use of roster spots and payroll than a singular rookie who will likely be minimally contributing (likely the first 2 years) as a developmental player/College Park student.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, do you them pay him the $50 plus miller per season that it will take to keep him?   It’s a shitastic contract, but apparently giving the impression that you are trying to win is the goal.  Not actually winning.  

Not that I’m suggesting Ingram is the move, but I’m curious what your “win now” offseason looks like. Draft Sarr and then (specifically) what?

14 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Wemby was a 27% three-point shooter in France his last season there.  I guess he’s never going to be able to space the floor.  

32.5% from 3 is not something to crow about.

Wemby was getting 21.6/10 in the premiere French league. Do not compare him to Sarr. They aren't even playing the same game.

Edited by thecampster

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Trade 1 for 4/8. Pick the right 2 (my opinion is Edey/Knecht but I accept that's not popular) and they're objectively better next year than Sarr and or any vet you can sign for the minimum.

Yes, we agree.  But I honestly don't care about next year-- it will be a development and chemistry year with a bunch of new pieces if we do what we need to do this offseason.  Maybe we can build enough chemistry throughout the season to make some decent playoff noise but that is best case scenario.  I care about 2026, 2027, 2028, and beyond.  We need high end talent.

The rest of you post is a good thought exercise on how to maximize next year, but we should only try to maximize next year after we take the highest ceiling talent with our first pick, not at the expense of it.  Just different ideological approaches.  Even if you don't agree on Sarr, I'd be happy keeping #1 and taking whoever we think the best player is (i.e Risacher)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, parfait said:

I think a big part of what Campster is saying is that having two rookies who are contributing rotation players (as players who fit the current team construct) is a better use of roster spots and payroll than a singular rookie who will likely be minimally contributing (likely the first 2 years) as a developmental player/College Park student.

Yes and then those 2 rookies need to get paid in 4 years and they are still the 5-7th best players on the roster.  Now what?  We don't need more John Collins and Kevin Heurters and De'Andre Hunters... we have a chance at another Trae Young level talent on this roster (Sarrs ceiling is even above Trae's due to his size and athleticism).

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

32.5% from 3 is not something to crow about.

Wemby was getting 21.6/10 in the premiere French league. Do not compare him to Sarr. They aren't even playing the same game.

On a per minute basis, they were very close.  Wemby had to get loaned to a team that would showcase him as well.  He was a 17 mpg player for ASVEL.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

These 21 days is going to be very very slow.

I disagree, we shall bicker like an old couple!

ALL OF US! Just whine about how our front office is finger poppin they a$$h.. 

In 21 days we are all gonna be pretty tired and petty and waiting for the guy “we thought” to be picked and if that’s the case, let everyone know that you’re a better scout at squawk than anyone! That’s the objective right? :huh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Yes and then those 2 rookies need to get paid in 4 years and they are still the 5-7th best players on the roster.  Now what?  We don't need more John Collins and Kevin Heurters and De'Andre Hunters... we have a chance at another Trae Young level talent on this roster (Sarrs ceiling is even above Trae's due to his size and athleticism).

Ceiling > Trae???  A whole lot good would have to happen for that scenario. 

• Premium Member

It's crazy to me people want to trade the #1 pick just because we had 36 wins last season instead of 26 or 16.  What's the difference?  We're not about to win a chip next year and all anyone wants to talk about is how we can give up premium assets for pennies on the dollar to eek out a few more wins in the 2024-2025 season.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

Ceiling > Trae???  A whole lot good would have to happen for that scenario. 

Yes, that's what makes the ceiling a ceiling, it's about raw talent and athleticism-- most players never hit their ceiling, not even saying Sarr gets to his -- Cam Reddish ceiling was above Trae too, so we are all aware there are no guarantees.  Trae is basically at or very close to his ceiling.

• Like 1