• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

2 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Agreed!  Don't forget how many man hours we lost last season.  Our draft picks of last season would be healthy and available.  We have one draft pick coming, whoever he is, and would add him to the active 15.

:smug:

A healthy Capela ain't regaining his youth.

A healthy Hunter ain't regaining...err..gaining consistency.

A healthy Murray/Trae combo still has the same issues.  

A healthy AJ will still be MIA.

A healthy JJ - If only...he's a staple IF he is healthy

A healthy OO - still waiting...still waiting....

Top 6?  Maybe...but we all complain about where this team is at least for the last 3-4 years. So the answer is to remain status Quo and run it back with a rookie add, the same failed team, another playoff, possibly play-in failureIMG_9208.gif.a241268f3a89e5dbc57e55876a755e20.gif...and we run it back.  Landry Fields...stop posting here 😂.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I said what I said, gosh darn it.

The East is/was bad and it's not (likely) getting much better next season.  We're flawed but better than we showed this past season.

To further your point 

If 5-6 seed isn't even in the realm of possibilities for some folks..... Why were they so mad that we were a play in team? Isn't that what should be expected then? Especially accounting for all the injuries. 

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

My preferred offseason based on what we’ve seen so far:

trade DJM, CC, and Hunter for Herb, Ingram, and Nance

This is a move that is all about Herb Jones.  Strong player on an amazing contract for years.  That is fantastic value to build around.  Ingram is a trial run who we likely let walk at the end of the year.  Nance is frontcourt depth but mostly filler salary.

With that trade, we are looking at a starting lineup of Trae / Jones / Ingram / JJ / OO

You then use the #1 pick and draft Alex Sarr.  He joins the bench with Butkin / Bogi / AJ / Vit / Nance / Sarr / Bruno.  You also have the TPE and the MLE to add more depth.

No more two PG defense means an upgrade on that side of the ball.  OO gets his shot.  Ingram gets his trial - if he is the mid-range sniper he has been then good luck and don’t let the door hit you where the Lord split you but if he evolves his game under Quin maybe there is something there.  Bogi is key off the bench.  Sarr is brought into the rotation focusing on defense and in matchups at the 4 or 5 where he can be successful.  

I think this is legit both a better team than last year’s Hawks next season and has significantly more upside for the future.  Let’s roll Hawks fans.  Who’s with me?

Id be fine with this.  We’re not crafting a perfect roster in one offseason but this moves us in a good direction

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Afro said:

To further your point 

If 5-6 seed isn't even in the realm of possibilities for some folks..... Why were they so mad that we were a play in team? Isn't that what should be expected then? Especially accounting for all the injuries. 

The Hawks had a lot of injuries this season but a bunch of teams above them in the standings were hit even harder - Cleveland, NY and Philly to name the obvious. Those teams are where the Hawks want to be despite the injuries. 

We know the current pieces don’t work together so rolling it back makes no sense if the goal is to be competitive. Hawks need to flip Murray for a better fit. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Packfill said:

The Hawks had a lot of injuries this season but a bunch of teams above them in the standings were hit even harder - Cleveland, NY and Philly to name the obvious. Those teams are where the Hawks want to be despite the injuries. 

We know the current pieces don’t work together so rolling it back makes no sense if the goal is to be competitive. Hawks need to flip Murray for a better fit. 

Oh I'm most certainly not saying to run it back lol. I'm not trying to speak for KG either. 

For me I'm moreso speaking to both my overall thoughts on the East and that this team IS talented enough to be better than many of them, but there's a lot of BS/injuries standing in the way. 

This team is capable of being better than the Cavs, Magic, Pacers, Heat, etc with a few minor additions. 

Edited by Afro
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is a move that is all about Herb Jones.  Strong player on an amazing contract for years.  That is fantastic value to build around.  Ingram is a trial run who we likely let walk at the end of the year.  Nance is frontcourt depth but mostly filler salary.

With that trade, we are looking at a starting lineup of Trae / Jones / Ingram / JJ / OO

You then use the #1 pick and draft Alex Sarr.  He joins the bench with Butkin / Bogi / AJ / Vit / Nance / Sarr / Bruno.  You also have the TPE and the MLE to add more depth.

No more two PG defense means an upgrade on that side of the ball.  OO gets his shot.  Ingram gets his trial - if he is the mid-range sniper he has been then good luck and don’t let the door hit you where the Lord split you but if he evolves his game under Quin maybe there is something there.  Bogi is key off the bench.  Sarr is brought into the rotation focusing on defense and in matchups at the 4 or 5 where he can be successful.  

I think this is legit both a better team than last year’s Hawks next season and has significantly more upside for the future.  Let’s roll Hawks fans.  Who’s with me?

I like this plan and would be really excited if we pulled it off.  My problem is I don't think NO does that deal.  @Mikey mentioned we need to throw in the #8 pick to make it work.  We only get the #8 pick by trading with the Spurs.  

There's also a big question about where we would land against the cap.  My guess is it would be similar to @thecampster's break down where we would be close to the 2nd apron AFTER we do these transactions.  So there is likely not gonna be room to use the MLE and TPE at all.    

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AHF said:

Count me in.. Prying Jones away from NO is the key here

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Afro said:

I also have a pet theory that if the Hawks make a point to add well regarded and respected defensive guys.... Officiating might get better for the entire roster as a whole. 

Go get me Herb. Go get Smart. Screw it. I wanna know if having the "dog" reputation will make the refs actually let hunter play defense. 

Herb Jones and Marcus Smart are A++++ acquisitions for surrounding Trae and making it work

9 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Herb Jones and Marcus Smart are A++++ acquisitions for surrounding Trae and making it work

I haven't heard much about Smart this offseason other than just wishful discussions. 

And CC seems to be apart of other deals so idk how it would even work(and if it's not CC, it's OO, and I can't see them trading both). But a CC+Kings pick for Marcus Smart seems like a nice deal. 

Trae, Bogi, Buttkiss, and Smart is a good guard rotation to build off of. 

Edited by Afro

59 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is actually pretty well done.  I don't love it. I don't hate it.  But it's a good direction.

See this is why you beat me out in the great mod elections of 1913.  I don't have anywhere near this much composure or dedication or ... diction to cobble something like this together.

45 minutes ago, Afro said:

To further your point 

I don't think we are a top 6 team if we run it back, but there's not much point to that conversation because that's not gonna happen.  What I think people actually mean is the east is so weak that Murray, Hunter, and Capela could bring us back good enough pieces with trades to get us to where we can compete.  I'm not convinced there is an easy path to trade those guys for equivalent or greater on court production.  So if you concede that the #1 overall pick will not contribute for two years, you are essentially giving up on the team as a whole.  

48 minutes ago, Afro said:

I also have a pet theory that if the Hawks make a point to add well regarded and respected defensive guys.... Officiating might get better for the entire roster as a whole. 

Go get me Herb. Go get Smart. Screw it. I wanna know if having the "dog" reputation will make the refs actually let hunter play defense. 

Agree but I can't imagine Hunter would survive the roster upheaval.  He'd probably be shipped out via whatever deals land us those players.  If he remains though, I could see a reputational change benefitting him whistle-wise. 

41 minutes ago, Afro said:

Oh I'm most certainly not saying to run it back lol. I'm not trying to speak for KG either. 

For me I'm moreso speaking to both my overall thoughts on the East and that this team IS talented enough to be better than many of them, but there's a lot of BS/injuries standing in the way. 

This team is capable of being better than the Cavs, Magic, Pacers, Heat, etc with a few minor additions. 

This captures the essence of what I was saying.  Feel free to speak for me in the future.  I might sound smarter that way. 😎

Not sure why folks read my post and assumed I was saying "runitbak!".  That's not what I was saying at all. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I like this plan and would be really excited if we pulled it off.  My problem is I don't think NO does that deal.  @Mikey mentioned we need to throw in the #8 pick to make it work.  We only get the #8 pick by trading with the Spurs.  

There's also a big question about where we would land against the cap.  My guess is it would be similar to @thecampster's break down where we would be close to the 2nd apron AFTER we do these transactions.  So there is likely not gonna be room to use the MLE and TPE at all.    

Yeah, I'm not really sure why NO would do that deal, which is probably why most ppl here are for it.  Realistic deals tend to get 50/50 fan support, if not worse because of how biased fans are.  I'm not stressed about using the TPE or the MLE because we have a lot of players that are going to need bench minutes already (Bogi, Kobe, Mo hopefully, AJ, 1st pick player, etc).  We will need a backup center though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Agree but I can't imagine Hunter would survive the roster upheaval.  He'd probably be shipped out via whatever deals land us those players.  If he remains though, I could see a reputational change benefitting him whistle-wise. 

This captures the essence of what I was saying.  Feel free to speak for me in the future.  I might sound smarter that way. 😎

Not sure why folks read my post and assumed I was saying "runitbak!".  That's not what I was saying at all. 

You and I definitely share the "f*** the east" sentiment lol. 

There are only 4 teams I respect as being clearly better than us on paper. 

Boston-no stipulations. There is nothing we can do this offseason to match that roster on paper. 

Sixers-IF they're fully healthy. This is the closest one though. 

Bucks-IF fully healthy. 

Knicks-now that they have OG. 

Everybody else? f*** em, square up Lil b's. Caw caw. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1