• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

3 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

My max vert in high school was 30", and I couldn't jump at all.  I was thinking Risacher would have at least a 35+.  The fact that he isn't a freak athlete really takes him down a peg because he needs to gain about 25 pounds.  Gaining weight isn't going to help his vertical.

31" Max vert is like Deandre Hunter level.  That's bad.  

When you watch him on film, he doesn’t have much pop at all off one foot.  He’s better off two feet but it’s not high level.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AtLaS said:

Not buying Sarr won't come to Atlanta for a second.  He played in Atlanta for Overtime Elite for 2 seasons.  Playing with a PG like Trae will help his career so much, even his coach said that.  Trae will make the game so much easier for him.

Even if he did prefer Washington, who cares.  You don't draft players players based on where they want to go.  That's just weak copout by the front office.

I’m not buying that even a little bit either.  If Fields doesn’t like him that is one thing.  But this rumor should be a non-factor.

• Like 4

Hey @Sothron, @NBASupes  is there a chance if we move down to #3 that we can get 1 of their young guy's?  The Hawks should ask for Cam Whitmore in this deal along with the 3rd pick.  We draft Risacher for the Nets, the Nets send Bridges & future pick to Houston. 

17 hours ago, KB21 said:

Sarr is a lot closer to Chet and Wemby than Clingan will ever be.  He’s of that archetype.  

Let’s get our Walker Kessler clone instead, who doesn’t even start in Utah.  

He’s a lot closer based off what? Because he physically looks like them and clingan is a Kessler closer because he is big and white. [] Sarr is much heavier than wemby and Chet he doesn’t even comp to them physically []

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sothron said:

I have to add that if you doubt our FO at least give some credence to what Quin wants on his roster. He's a genius, literally, and he has developed players into superstars if they had the chops. If he is really high on any player it is enough for me, frankly, as a die hard fan that he knows what the hell he is doing.

No sothron the people on this forum who will never sniff a job in basketball ops know everything and more than the people that do this for a living!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Can someone explain to me with real basketball reasons how there was no consensus number 1 in this draft all year yet you guys are saying the hawks are making a mistake and not open to any other player. such a laughably miserable fanbase that has decided a draft decision is right or wrong when guys haven’t even played a minute in the league. This is exactly what hornets fans did with brandon miller last year and look who was awesome year 1 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Can someone explain to me with real basketball reasons how there was no consensus number 1 in this draft all year yet you guys are saying the hawks are making a mistake and not open to any other player. such a laughably miserable fanbase that has decided a draft decision is right or wrong when guys haven’t even played a minute in the league. This is exactly what hornets fans did with brandon miller last year and look who was awesome year 1 

The dark side of mock drafts is always present. A mock draft is like a credit card.  We can’t wait to afford the high we get from draft day, so we have to borrow it now through mock credit.  The interest involved in mock credit is dangerous. It isn’t the same as money although some see it the same.  The payback for those is rough when draft day comes and you realize the asset you borrowed to buy is not what you expected. 

Patience is a virtue.  I agree with Sothron’s comment.

Edited by Hawkish

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

And he’s not even remotely close to Clingan defensively.  

Part of the defensive game is rebounding.

Edey averaged 12 per game.  

Clingan averaged 7.4 per game.

He may not be remotely close defensively.  He's just a much better free throw shooter and a better rebounder.

:bb:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He’s a lot closer based off what? Because he physically looks like them and clingan is a Kessler closer because he is big and white. You’re not actually watching these guys for their ability but rather who you can comp them to to push your agenda. Sarr is much heavier than wemby and Chet he doesn’t even comp to them physically but nothing matters to you but agendas 

Skill level, athleticism, length, defensive ability.  Wemby is NOT a traditional big.  Chet is NOT a traditional big.  Guys like Evan Mobley, Jaren Jackson Jr, Nic Claxton, and Bam Adebayo are NOT traditional bigs.  

They are switch bigs.  They can ALL play any PNR coverage.  They can all handle the basketball to some degree.  They all have perimeter ability.  It’s an archetype that is quickly becoming one of the more valuable archetypes in the league.  Much more valuable than your traditional drop big.  

Sarr’s shooting potential is clearly in line with the above mentioned names.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Part of the defensive game is rebounding.

Edey averaged 12 per game.  

Clingan averaged 7.4 per game.

He may not be remotely close defensively.  He's just a much better free throw shooter and a better rebounder.

:bb:

So you are ignoring the fact that Edey can’t actually guard anyone?

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We are fans discussing who we like and using our amateur eyes to provide our own evaluations. Wrong or right we are entitled to our opinions. 

If your stance is based on what you're hearing, kudos to you. But we hear/read a lot and are allowed to voice our concerns/opinions/thoughts/likes/dislikes etc.

It's a discussion forum for a reason. Everyone will/should stand by their take and see how it will eventually play out.

In the end the FO are the ones that have to make their decision and live with it. And it's not like FOs don't make bad decisions all the time.

Yep.  I get why they would prefer Clingan to Sarr at this moment in time.   Making a decision based on now will essentially have people second guessing the decision 3 years from now when Sarr is doing far more on the court than the more limited Clingan will be doing.  

So, if you want to take Clingan because he is better at “big man things” than Sarr is currently, that’s fine.  Just realize that Clingan has neither the elite level athleticism nor skill level to raise his ceiling in the NBA.  Sarr has that.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Can someone explain to me with real basketball reasons how there was no consensus number 1 in this draft all year yet you guys are saying the hawks are making a mistake and not open to any other player. such a laughably miserable fanbase 

You mean the laughably miserable Atlanta Hawks franchise.  I honestly believe that if this was Michael Jordan vs anybody in the 1984 draft some of yall would defend the Hawks not drafting Jordan.  That somebody most likely would have been Sam Bowie.  Sam Bowie even favors Ben Simmons.  Yeap. The Clingan/Edey fanbase would've been all over Bowie.

ben-simmons-2.jpg

image.png.763719f8455c7a7870e680ab063f4551.png

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:er:.

We are fans discussing who we like and using our amateur eyes to provide our own evaluations. Wrong or right we are entitled to our opinions. 

If your stance is based on what you're hearing, kudos to you. But we hear/read a lot and are allowed to voice our concerns/opinions/thoughts/likes/dislikes etc.

It's a discussion forum for a reason. Everyone will/should stand by their take and see how it will eventually play out.

In the end the FO are the ones that have to make their decision and live with it. And it's not like FOs don't make bad decisions all the time.

Thank you.  Jeez. I don't care. I'll say what I want with regards to who I like and don't. We only need policing if were attacking each other.   That being said anybody who don't like  Sarr at one is stupid. (Kidding..smile...lol).  It's a joke mods. Seriously.  We gotta lighten it up. There will be plenty of time for deleting posts after the draft.  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:er:.

I don't think it is the difference of opinion that Mikey and Sothron are referring to. For sure an exchange of opinions is what this and all message boards are all about. It's the vitriol and outrage that has become over-the-top and downright comical. "Same old BS!" "The choice is so obvious!" "How can the Hawks be so stupid again!" "I'm quitting this team forever if they pass on Sarr!"

These guys are reporting that team officials throughout the league are uncertain about the prospects at the top of this draft. Yet us fans, after having skimmed YouTube compilations when we were supposed to be completing our required HR videos, have got these prospects figured out to a level of certainty that is at or near 100%!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Thank you.  Jeez. I don't care. I'll say what I want with regards to who I like and don't. We only need policing if were attacking each other.   That being said anybody who don't like  Sarr at one is stupid. (Kidding..smile...lol).  It's a joke mods. Seriously.  We gotta lighten it up. There will be plenty of time for deleting posts after the draft.  

Naahh....we don't delete and change our posts like that one draft 'expert' (can't remember his name a national writer) did. 

We just come back and eat our crow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, parfait said:

I don't think it is the difference of opinion that Mikey and Sothron are referring to. For sure an exchange of opinions is what this and all message boards are all about. It's the vitriol and outrage that has become over-the-top and downright comical. "Same old BS!" "The choice is so obvious!" "How can the Hawks be so stupid again!" "I'm quitting this team forever if they pass on Sarr!"

These guys are reporting that team officials throughout the league are uncertain about the prospects at the top of this draft. Yet us fans, after having skimmed YouTube compilations when we were supposed to be completing our required HR videos, have got these prospects figured out to a level of certainty that is at or near 100%!

But again...for most, having lived thru the Nique trade, Marvin over CP3 - we know what incompetence looks like. 

The continued instability and revolving nature of the FO is also a mark against it...so yes, they're allowed to be preemptively upset by the rumors if they choose.

In the grand scheme of things, it'll either be an overreaction or well justified.

Can't wait for June 26th to find out. 🤓

• Like 3