• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

And is it that they prefer Clingan to Sarr or is it he had a really good workout with the Hawks and they like him.

The others options have not even been in for workouts as yet, so making any kind of concrete decision now, means the FO have not completed their due diligence. So I don't buy that for one second. 

At this point, it's all noise.

True.  I’m basing my thoughts on why they like and will probably draft Clingan on what Quin typically has his big do. That does come with the question as to what Quin actually wants to do defensively.  I just can’t see him wanting to be limited to drop only. 

Quin runs a complex system.  Clingan was able to grasp a complex system at the college level.  I don’t think that is something that Quin will ignore.  Hurley runs a heavy ball screen system that utilized Clingan’s screen setting and connectivity passing.  Defensively, he has played mostly drop but has shown the ability to close out and has played at the level of the screen and been able to use his length to recover if beaten.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So you are ignoring the fact that Edey can’t actually guard anyone?

Not really.   If he just stands between the player and the goal, with arms outstretched, this will stop some from going directly to the goal.  and, if they are close enough to him, they must then shoot over him.  Not a really easy task.  He's a pretty big man to try to run over.  

Are you really sure that he's unable to guard anyone?  Where can I find this information because I don't know?

🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gray Mule said:

Not really.   If he just stands between the player and the goal, with arms outstretched, this will stop some from going directly to the goal.  and, if they are close enough to him, they must then shoot over him.  Not a really easy task.  He's a pretty big man to try to run over.  

Are you really sure that he's unable to guard anyone?  Where can I find this information because I don't know?

🤔

Just watch his film.  No team in the NBA is just going to camp him out in the paint.  The NBA has a 3 seconds rule that they don’t have in college.  

Ryan Dunn is a better rim protector than Zach Edey.  6’7” Dunn.  

2 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

Hey @Sothron, @NBASupes  is there a chance if we move down to #3 that we can get 1 of their young guy's?  The Hawks should ask for Cam Whitmore in this deal along with the 3rd pick.  We draft Risacher for the Nets, the Nets send Bridges & future pick to Houston. 

From what I've gathered, no.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Skill level, athleticism, length, defensive ability.  Wemby is NOT a traditional big.  Chet is NOT a traditional big.  Guys like Evan Mobley, Jaren Jackson Jr, Nic Claxton, and Bam Adebayo are NOT traditional bigs.  

They are switch bigs.  They can ALL play any PNR coverage.  They can all handle the basketball to some degree.  They all have perimeter ability.  It’s an archetype that is quickly becoming one of the more valuable archetypes in the league.  Much more valuable than your traditional drop big.  

Sarr’s shooting potential is clearly in line with the above mentioned names.  

The hawks were at their worst defensively when switching so bringing a switch big when the rest of your roster can't switch makes sense how? Also please stop comparing Alex sarr to the best prospect of the last 15 years. The [idea] that [] they are comparable is laughable. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The hawks were at their worst defensively when switching so bringing a switch big when the rest of your roster can't switch makes sense how? Also please stop comparing Alex sarr to the best prospect of the last 15 years. The [idea] that [] they are comparable is laughable. 

I understand why you want to diminish Sarr’s ability.  You’ve been told by someone that Clingan is their guy and are trying to build up justification for passing on the player with a higher upside.   You and the Hawks will be the ones who are wrong long-term.  I’m not wrong, and I won’t be wrong.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Naahh....we don't delete and change our posts like that one draft 'expert' (can't remember his name a national writer) did. 

We just come back and eat our crow.

I want a reason to eat crow.  The Hawks never entice me too. Hawk's always missing...😂😂IMG_6405.gif

Edited by deester11
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KB21 said:

Interesting thread here discussing a defensive model among the college players.  Note that the Hawks have worked out Clingan, Clifford, and Mogbo on this list.  

Devin Carter is gonna be a steal for somebody.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

Hey @Sothron, @NBASupes  is there a chance if we move down to #3 that we can get 1 of their young guy's?  The Hawks should ask for Cam Whitmore in this deal along with the 3rd pick.  We draft Risacher for the Nets, the Nets send Bridges & future pick to Houston. 

Cam Whitmore would go first in this draft. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We didn’t have the personnel to switch  but that is the type of roster that Quin wants. We ran more drop when OO went down as CC is not a switch big. 
For the better part of Quin’s tenure JJ+OO have been a tremendous defensive pairing due to their ability to play multiple defensive coverages.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

lol They love him like we love JJ..

You giving up JJ to move up 2 spots in this draft?

1 hour ago, AHF said:

The idea for me is that a frontcourt of JJ, Sarr, and OO could do things defensively that we haven’t been able to do in the past, imo.  That type of lineup opens the door defensively to some things you can’t do with CC and JC.

I just don't think JJ is going to play the 3, not going to be a great fit for him 

5 hours ago, kg01 said:

Shhhh... hopefully the Hawks are sellin' smoke. 

Guy has avg vert, meager length, and is considered a 3D potential defensive guy?  Yeah, ok. 

He’s fluid but not very explosive at all and doesn’t compensate for that with physical strength... No thanks.....

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Can someone explain to me with real basketball reasons how there was no consensus number 1 in this draft all year yet you guys are saying the hawks are making a mistake and not open to any other player. such a laughably miserable fanbase that has decided a draft decision is right or wrong when guys haven’t even played a minute in the league. This is exactly what hornets fans did with brandon miller last year and look who was awesome year 1 

I think its all about different opinions right now, more than being right or wrong...

Of course fans who don't like certain players want to be Wrong if we take him.....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, terrell said:

lol They love him like we love JJ..

You giving up JJ to move up 2 spots in this draft?

Maybe Tari then, I  just don't want to move down for  just Clingan & a protected pick.