• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

49 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Thanks for the info Supes, if after all these years lacking a true center, a true 7 footer, lacking size and defense on the post, suffering with big Centers on he paint…. If after all these years…. With the #1 pick we pass on 2 of the 3 best prospects, 2 real big players that can become dominant on the post to take another skinny and soft wing player…..I am probably done with these team, or at least will decrease the time I spend reading info about the Hawks. We passed on Chris Paul and Williams for Marvin, we traded Doncic for Trae, we traded Gasol for Shareef…. But this would be too much for me.

He shot less than 40% on dunks.. How is this even possible unless you have "tiny hands", or Dre/CC finishing ability? lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

There is a lot to like

6'10

Can defend multiple positions

Very good laterally

High BBIQ

High feel for the game

As an off ball player, has short and small movement in his package. Small movement is extremely hard to find. The Tony Snell. 

Shows flashes of long movement like Kyle and Klay but he's too weak atm 

While he can PDS, it's not at a high level but it's clearly visible 

He just fits everyone. Mikal Bridges was like this but better but Risacher is like this and 19. That's why teams are in love with him. 

19 year olds just don't look like this. They don't. I don't think he's special but I think he's impressive. Watching a damn kid master the Tony Snell, go a quarter without a touch and not lose any confidence is way harder to find than the casual thinks. He just impacts winning. 

I don't believe he's 6'10

More like 6'8.5

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

While teams thought Atlanta was gonna tank and trade Trae to SA and it was a done deal. They have come to realize Atlanta isn't open to trading Trae without a clear overpay like Mikal and Brooklyn. From what I've gathered, no one is even close. That Trae market is similar to Murray which is two quality 1sts. Of course, Atlanta had no interest and even then, they want to make it work with Trae due to their personal love for him as well as business most importantly. 

Said awhile back when all the reports about 'rival team execs' prefer DJ over Trae, I said it was more likely Trae wasn't on the market or teams couldn't meet the asking price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All this talk about drop coverage is overhyped if I'm a NBA defensive coordinator.  "Ice" coverage, pardon the pun, is where it is at.  I'm not giving great pull up players like Kyrie and Luka the opportunity to pull up on my defense with two pointers.  I wouldn't give Trae Young the opportunity to run pick and roll to the middle of the court either.  Ice coverage forces him to his weakness which is the wing.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Also, Atlanta is not close to making a decision at 1.

Not surprised. It should be expected, there is still 2 1/2 weeks before the draft. I said before things will get more serious the week starting before the draft.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

All this talk about drop coverage is overhyped if I'm a NBA defensive coordinator.  "Ice" coverage, pardon the pun, is where it is at.  I'm not giving great pull up players like Kyrie and Luka the opportunity to pull up on my defense with two pointers.  I wouldn't give Trae Young the opportunity to run pick and roll to the middle of the court either.  Ice coverage forces him to his weakness which is the wing.

I dont disagree with your sentiment but I've heard a couple NBA folks explain that 'ice' coverage is becoming obsolete to a degree.  I can't recall theory reasoning but it was a couple Thibs-defenders tryna explain why he struggles as a defensive mind now vs while he was BOS asst coach. 

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So how are we getting  #3 from Houston?

I'm thinking if they end up at #3, it will be because they traded #1.  I highly doubt they get two top 10 picks unless they were to trade Murray or Trae for it.  And if they're serious about winning next season, they probably don't need to add two rookies imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'd start listening to trade rumors/mock drafts around Jun 17th. Before then is an exercise in futility.

I'll just exclusively listen to your posts 'til then.  Deal? 

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I dont disagree with your sentiment but I've heard a couple NBA folks explain that 'ice' coverage is becoming obsolete to a degree.  I can't recall theory reasoning but it was a couple Thibs-defenders tryna explain why he struggles as a defensive mind now vs while he was BOS asst coach. 

Not directed at you since you say you don't disagree with what I said.:

Coaches are copycat just like the general populace.  In the NFL they don't run the ball anymore and running backs are "obsolete" because.... they CHOOSE not to run the ball.  The NBA is no different.  Drop coverage has become "the thing" and now suddenly "Ice coverge" is obsolete?  I'm not buying that. The Knicks were second best in the NBA in "points allowed" this season so there goes the "Thibs don't know what he is doing" argument.

You can mix it up also.  I prefer "Ice" coverage because you funnel the ball handler to the baseline, effectively cutting off half the court or more.  I believe coaches prefer to copycat drop coverage and hard hedging because a neantherdal can figure it out.  Its your function as a defensive coordinator and head coach to get players to understand the nuances of the Ice Coverage.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

https://www.hooperuniversity.com/breakdowns/ball-screen-defense-how-to-ice-ball-screens

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

IE....deny mid!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Coaches are copycat just like the general populace.  In the NFL they don't run the ball anymore and running backs are "obsolete" because.... they CHOOSE not to run the ball.  The NBA is no different.  Drop coverage has become "the thing" and now suddenly "Ice coverge" is obsolete?  I'm not buying that. The Knicks were second best in the NBA in "points allowed" this season so there goes the "Thibs don't know what he is doing" argument.

You can mix it up also.  I prefer "Ice" coverage because you funnel the ball handler to the baseline, effectively cutting off half the court or more.  I believe coaches prefer to copycat drop coverage and hard hedging because a neantherdal can figure it out.  Its your function as a defensive coordinator and head coach to get players to understand the nuances of the Ice Coverage.

I made a post about this a few years ago on the site. Talking about the goal of every offense is to get in the lane, cut the lane. All plays are built off of that.  Corner 3 = kick from player who penetrated the lane (sometimes a few passes later), lob play, requires a pick n roll drive to the lane or the lane to vacate on a double team, pick n pop = works because the defender shades off the pop to stop the penetration.  

Take away the dominant hand of the ball carrier to deny the lane of give the dominant hand if it drives the ball handler to the 6th defender.

Just now, Hawkmoor said:

Excellent source to break down NBA schemes and plays.

Second I saw you posted this, I was like 90% of those reading need this.

• Thanks 1