2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

we also don't have a lot of draft picks available to us

We don't have our own 2025 draft pick but we do have the Kings 2025vpick (hopefully).

We will still a 2026 pick, either our own or Spurs.

So as of today, the only year we definitely do not have a pick is in 2027.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We don't have our own 2025 draft pick but we do have the Kings 2025vpick (hopefully).

We will still a 2026 pick, either our own or Spurs.

So as of today, the only year we definitely do not have a pick is in 2027.

This was my point.  We don't own our own picks in a few seasons which means you don't just tank for the sake of a better pick since the Spurs either own our pick outright or have the right to swap for a few years coming up.  I was merely making the point we have to be smart about our picks or how they're used. If they're traded, it's not like some teams that can mortgage the future because they're 1 piece away from a championship.  We have to build through smart drafts, good usage of our assets (trade or keep) and shrewd signings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bill Simmons at it again....:laugh1:

Who's gonna tell him?

Just for giggles. Even though the Hawks wouldn't do it, trading both Trae and Murray at THIS POINT is not as ludicrous as it sounds. I don't want to get into some kind of agenda about Trae because its not about that.  The Atlanta Falcons just showed that Atlanta is soo used to front office foolishness across the board with the Hawks and Falcons that when they made a brilliant move and drafted Michael Penix right after signing Kirk Cousins, it appeared ludicrous at first but it was brilliant.

Lets look at this scenario:  The Hawks trade Trae and whatever it takes for Ingram (with the exception of Jalen Johnson and Bogi. I like Bogi. Best shooter on the team). They move off Murray for picks and contracts.  You bump Boykin up to starting point guard even if it turns out to be just a stop gap.  You draft Sarr.  Now you have picks coming back for Trae and Murray with the temporary stop gap of:

pg Boykin

sg Bogi

sf Ingram

pf Johnson

C Sarr

Now you have a full blown restart with options galore to build around this.  Its not as crazy as it seems.  Its not a 3-2 pitch count big swing either.  You can big swing on any pitch count with this.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I mentioned in the last update. The executives around the league still think Atlanta will trade both and definitely feel they should trade both. The organization clearly doesn't feel the same way and Trae been involved in the draft process. 

Unless I misunderstood what you wrote:

While teams thought Atlanta was gonna tank and trade Trae to SA and it was a done deal. They have come to realize Atlanta isn't open to trading Trae

• Like 1

• Premium Member

"Although Zaccharie Risacher is ranked first on ClutchPoints' 2024 NBA Draft Big Board 3.0, Alex Sarr is the player the Atlanta Hawks should be taking in this position given his versatility and defensive instincts in the frontcourt. Sarr possesses the athleticism and length needed in modern-day big men, and he would find a lot of success in an offense run by Trae Young, whom the Hawks do not have much interest in trading away this offseason, league sources said. Still, the Hawks are evaluating all of their options pertaining to this top pick. Risacher, sources said, is still very much in play to be drafted first overall."

"At this juncture, the Hawks are evaluating several scenarios at the top of the draft, including hearing inquires from rival teams for their first overall selection. The San Antonio Spurs and Portland Trail Blazers currently possess the assets that would be needed to make a swing for the Hawks' top pick. The belief right now is that general manager Landry Fields and his front office will be holding onto this selection, sources said. However, UConn's Donovan Clingan is a player the Hawks have done their research on in recent weeks, leading to the belief that the Hawks are open to the idea of moving down a few spots. As far as other moves the franchise could make, Atlanta is expected to make both Clint Capela and De'Andre Hunter available in trade discussions leading up to and past the NBA Draft."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

I don't know that NO wants Brooks, since he is similar to Herb Jones, yet makes more $ than Jones.  If they relented and included Herb Jones in a deal for Murray to us, maybe to get us to relent on including OO instead of Capela, maybe they use Brooks to replace Herb as their defensive stopper. 

They are not parting with Jones, but the extra asset in Brooks could be used elsewhere in a deal or they could negotiate a different player.  If they can get #3 and another asset in an Ingram deal, they would take it as #3 should be more than enough to get Murray.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I mentioned in the last update. The executives around the league still think Atlanta will trade both and definitely feel they should trade both. The organization clearly doesn't feel the same way and Trae been involved in the draft process. 

That would be surprising if they trade both.  They would have to get several very good young players and unprotected 1sts to part with Trae.

4 minutes ago, Birdsfan said:

They are not parting with Jones, but the extra asset in Brooks could be used elsewhere in a deal or they could negotiate a different player.  If they can get #3 and another asset in an Ingram deal, they would take it as #3 should be more than enough to get Murray.

Remember, NO has motivation beyond simply moving off Ingram or acquiring a more traditional PG.  They are even more adverse to paying the tax than Atlanta based on the fact they have never once in their franchise history done it.  Technically, the Hawks have. I think Herb Jones is off-limits to an extent, much like JJ is for us.  They're viewed as key (and currently affordable) pieces of what each respective team is trying to build, but for the right deal, everyone is available. 

NO needs a versatile defender at center than can also stretch the floor.  OO could be that guy.  The hypothetical deal I threw out earlier (strictly off the noggin thrown together as a for instance) lowered their payroll while getting Murray and moving off Ingram.  To get that center they desperately need who is on a value contract, maybe they'd come off Herb Jones, but now we question....Is Murray and OO worth acquiring #3, Herb Jones, and filler?  You'd better be damn sure who you're drafting at #1 and #3 are legit rotation pieces that are borderline stars within a year or two or else Trae is probably a goner. 

Watching the Mavs run through the playoffs, I thought their archetype is what Atlanta needed to do.  Quality defenders and length with versatility and another secondary ballhandler.  Boston, to this point, has shut down any secondary scoring outside Luka and has frustrated him at times with their switchable and deep defense. 

At this point, I don't know what it'll take to surpass them in the East. Strangely enough, the Hawks had their number this year. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

And so I'm ultimately agreeing with you that anyone trying to shut people down from sharing their opinions because FO personnel know best is making an ultimately fallacious argument.  

I would also add (for clarity's sake) that I don't believe someone who played, coached, or managed NBA basketball operations as a "talent scout" is at all analogous to a dentist, a lawyer, or an architect with certifiable skill and demonstrable success in a specific discipline.  I think it's a false authority in every sense.

I'd feel at a disadvantage questioning Snyder's opinion on coaching or Garrison Matthews' opinion on what it takes to compete in the NBA.  I would argue with absolute confidence about who they think is the best prospect in any given draft.  I'll even take it a step further and say that I would take the combined Squawk draft arguments and consensus over that of most NBA FOs.

Mikey's statements are just typical "armchair GM" slights and are no different than BK telling us to sit down and let the "professionals" handle the business. As an aside...reflecting on that specifically, I think that's when I realized that perhaps we do have a valid opinion.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HawksNWaffles said:

Lemme guess..EPIC 😄

Far worse.  Intergy.  I would crawl on hot coals to go back to working with Epic.  

Edited by KB21
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Remember, NO has motivation beyond simply moving off Ingram or acquiring a more traditional PG.  They are even more adverse to paying the tax than Atlanta based on the fact they have never once in their franchise history done it.  Technically, the Hawks have. I think Herb Jones is off-limits to an extent, much like JJ is for us.  They're viewed as key (and currently affordable) pieces of what each respective team is trying to build, but for the right deal, everyone is available. 

NO needs a versatile defender at center than can also stretch the floor.  OO could be that guy.  The hypothetical deal I threw out earlier (strictly off the noggin thrown together as a for instance) lowered their payroll while getting Murray and moving off Ingram.  To get that center they desperately need who is on a value contract, maybe they'd come off Herb Jones, but now we question....Is Murray and OO worth acquiring #3, Herb Jones, and filler?  You'd better be damn sure who you're drafting at #1 and #3 are legit rotation pieces that are borderline stars within a year or two or else Trae is probably a goner. 

Watching the Mavs run through the playoffs, I thought their archetype is what Atlanta needed to do.  Quality defenders and length with versatility and another secondary ballhandler.  Boston, to this point, has shut down any secondary scoring outside Luka and has frustrated him at times with their switchable and deep defense. 

At this point, I don't know what it'll take to surpass them in the East. Strangely enough, the Hawks had their number this year. 

I just don't think they trade Jones.  He is too valuable on a very cheap contract.  I would think he and Trey Murphy are their most important players behind Zion.  But, you never know.

• Like 1