• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

2 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

No, but you stated "if the Hawks weren't being greedy Trae would be a Laker already".  That's essentially saying the Hawks are being greedy because they want fair market value or better for one of the best players in the league.  Maybe I'm misreading your comments or missing something, but I don't agree or follow your logic. 

SAME x 100

If we legit couldn't get anything more than that back for murray or trae i would honestly just hold on to them add Saar and run it back and hope for the best.  Because i don't see that making us any better and actually making us worse for the next few years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

No, but you stated "if the Hawks weren't being greedy Trae would be a Laker already".  That's essentially saying the Hawks are being greedy because they want fair market value or better for one of the best players in the league.  Maybe I'm misreading your comments or missing something, but I don't agree or follow your logic. 

SAME x 100

They wanted to tank to get a high level player, and they got a high level player.  Now, they want to trade that player and tank again when the likelihood that they will get anyone as good as him is slim to none.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

SAME x 100

Exactly.

He's pretty much asking for the Hawks to accept garbage and be happy about it. :blanky:

• Like 4

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

If you haven't seen a lot of his posts you should know that he has perhaps the one of the two or three lowest opinions of Trae of anyone on the board.  I think he views dumping Trae as the first necessary step to putting the team on right and if the market for Trae is garbage than so be it.  I doubt he would have the same view for someone like JJ because his opinion of JJ is much higher (i.e., he sees JJ as someone who doesn't set the team on a doomed path).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jdawgflow said:

We do too. Most of the time it is very nice as notes get done much quicker. the downside is when you’re trying to find something from a different clinic and they have to fax it over.

Notes written by hand are more personal. On computer some people use templates or saved general standard notes to save time. Also with computer charting some people just click on things without really thinking about it. 

• Premium Member
Posted (edited)

I like Trae. I like the swag he brings. Trae taking a bow at MSG after eliminating the Knicks was one of my personal Hawks highlights over the past five years. Hell yeah brother.  

That said, I absolutely think trading Trae should be on the table. He is an ELITE shot creator but he doesn’t score efficiently and we will forever have to hide him on defense. My personal opinion is that the ECF run was our peak with Trae. It was easier to build a team around him when he wasn’t on a max contract.

The rumored deal with NO where we land Jones and BI is interesting but I don’t think it puts us in title contention. And it potentially puts us in a situation where we have to max BI (leaving us with limited roster flexibility). I think BI is a good player and a good fit with Trae/JJ, but he’s not worthy of a max contract. (Maybe he takes a friendly deal like Murray?)

I’d move Trae and try to get Mikal Bridges (among other players) with the return. Maybe we net a pick or two as well. Lineup something like:

DJM/Delon Wright

Caruso/Bogi (Bogi in sixth man role)

Bridges/Vit (or Hunter if he isn’t moved)

JJ/Sarr/Gueye

OO/TBD/Bruno

^ it’s not the top seed in the East but it’s a flexible roster with plenty of playmaking ability and willingness to play defense. And it’s not tanking. TBD is a backup 4/5 who can provide spacing and rebounding. Maybe Bufkin/Griffin/CC are still around, maybe not. 

Edited by supermariowest

18 minutes ago, supermariowest said:

DJM/Delon Wright

Caruso/Bogi (Bogi in sixth man role)

Bridges/Vit (or Hunter if he isn’t moved)

JJ/Sarr/Gueye

OO/TBD/Bruno

So the Brooklyn nets 2.0 that just completely failed/struggled the make the playoffs? And with what assets are you going to get Caruso with? Brooklyn are not giving you enough assets to make any additional trades, they will for sure think Mikal Bridges is on the same level as Trae Young(which he isn't)

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, ShayD said:

So the Brooklyn nets 2.0 that just completely failed/struggled the make the playoffs? And with what assets are you going to get Caruso with? Brooklyn are not giving you enough assets to make any additional trades, they will for sure think Mikal Bridges is on the same level as Trae Young(which he isn't)

Outside of Bridges, I don’t think it’s that comparable to the current Nets roster. You are certainly entitled to that opinion though.

Regarding Caruso, some combination of Bufkin/Griffin/Kings first/other assets from a Trae trade.

To reiterate, I’m not a Trae hater. Quite the opposite actually. I just think moving him (for another player or for picks that can be rerouted) would be justifiable and should be considered. 

3 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

I don't call Bleacher Report's daily trade Trae to the Lakers posts or the like to "serious basketball folk".  For the 800th time, we don't control our own future picks completely.  You can't simply push the detonate button without them and any trade with San Antonio to get our picks back, they'd know that and have the ultimate leverage in negotiations.  People think we overpaid for DJ from them originally.  Wait until you see the return we'd get coming back for he or Trae. 

People are also expecting a lot out of a kid like Sarr, who played a whopping 9MPG in his overseas league to expect him to come in and play meaningful minutes day 1.  If he's in the opening night rotation, it would most likely be as the 9th or 10th man.  Dude has limitless potential, but it's a slow growth that will most likely take place for his ultimate success. 

Funny people still read bleacher report and think anything reputable or redeemable comes out of that orifice. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, supermariowest said:

I like Trae. I like the swag he brings. Trae taking a bow at MSG after eliminating the Knicks was one of my personal Hawks highlights over the past five years. Hell yeah brother.  

That said, I absolutely think trading Trae should be on the table. He is an ELITE shot creator but he doesn’t score efficiently and we will forever have to hide him on defense. My personal opinion is that the ECF run was our peak with Trae. It was easier to build a team around him when he wasn’t on a max contract.

I need to be careful about how I say this because the Squawk tends to hear only one of two sides in any given conversation.

I'm not a Trae hater.  I think he's elite and he proved that with the right pieces around him, we can contend.  He needs shooters (same as LeBron) and he needs a 1A or 1B depending on how you see him (same as any other NBA star).  That said, I have gone from "keep Trae at all costs" to "I'm listening." 

I've started questioning if Trae really wants to be here.  I don't believe he'll request a trade or that he won't give 110% out there.  Nothing like that, but at the same time...like, if he was a free agent right now...does anyone believe that we would be at the top of his list?  If I'm being honest, I not confident that we're even in the conversation.

I'm not advocating hitting the reset button and/or cutting our losses, but I don't see him as untouchable any more.  I would not turn my nose up at keeping DJM and moving Trae for an equal exchange.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I need to be careful about how I say this because the Squawk tends to hear only one of two sides in any given conversation.

I'm not a Trae hater.  I think he's elite and he proved that with the right pieces around him, we can contend.  He needs shooters (same as LeBron) and he needs a 1A or 1B depending on how you see him (same as any other NBA star).  That said, I have gone from "keep Trae at all costs" to "I'm listening." 

I've started questioning if Trae really wants to be here.  I don't believe he'll request a trade or that he won't give 110% out there.  Nothing like that, but at the same time...like, if he was a free agent right now...does anyone believe that we would be at the top of his list?  If I'm being honest, I not confident that we're even in the conversation.

I'm not advocating hitting the reset button and/or cutting our losses, but I don't see him as untouchable any more.  I would not turn my nose up at keeping DJM and moving Trae for an equal exchange.

Yes — equal exchange is the key. I wish I had stressed that like you did. DJM is a good player on a great contract. Moving Trae for equal value is a reasonable short-term and long-term move. Moving Trae for LAL’s garbage is gross mismanagement of assets. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I do think you have to move one of Trae or DJM and I expect not to get equal value back.  I expect to take a hit on the trade but it shouldn’t be egregious like some of the offers we’ve seen rumored in the past.  Coming into next year with both of them is a recipe for bad basketball and that won’t raise either players trade value.  But I don’t think trading both of them makes sense.  Taking a hit on one trade to remove a terrible fit is one thing.  Taking a hit on trades for two good players and creating a void at that position is just bad asset management.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I do think you have to move one of Trae or DJM and I expect not to get equal value back.  I expect to take a hit on the trade but it shouldn’t be egregious like some of the offers we’ve seen rumored in the past.  Coming into next year with both of them is a recipe for bad basketball and that won’t raise either players trade value.  But I don’t think trading both of them makes sense.  Taking a hit on one trade to remove a terrible fit is one thing.  Taking a hit on trades for two good players and creating a void at that position is just bad asset management.

It's tough to speculate because we don't know what deals are out there. Murray is probably the easier player to trade due to his contract. People should take a long at Murray's numbers while Trae was out. Very productive, almost comparable to Trae's in some respects. I reject the notion that Murray is vastly inferior to Trae. 

12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It's tough to speculate because we don't know what deals are out there. Murray is probably the easier player to trade due to his contract. People should take a long at Murray's numbers while Trae was out. Very productive, almost comparable to Trae's in some respects. I reject the notion that Murray is vastly inferior to Trae. 

I think it is tricky to compare and contrast Trae and Murray because they are very different types of point guards. But I think they could broadly be distinguished in one way that speaks volumes: Trae Young, I believe, is an almost certain Hall of Famer. I don't believe that Murray would even be a fleeting thought in a Hall of Fame discussion.

Edited by parfait
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, supermariowest said:

Outside of Bridges, I don’t think it’s that comparable to the current Nets roster. You are certainly entitled to that opinion though.

Regarding Caruso, some combination of Bufkin/Griffin/Kings first/other assets from a Trae trade.

To reiterate, I’m not a Trae hater. Quite the opposite actually. I just think moving him (for another player or for picks that can be rerouted) would be justifiable and should be considered. 

Not against moving Trae but you have to get the best deal that has to be worth as much as how Atlanta value him. The hawks value him as a top 15 player so you have to get a top 15 player like return like the Mitchell and Gobert trades. If you are not getting close to that value then it is not worth dealing Trae, especially when the team doesn't even have it's own picks for 3 years

Also the Bulls will laugh at that offer for Caruso. The Nets team on paper wasn't bad. You have Claxton a DPOY level C, many 3 and D wings in Johnson, DFS. Very good shot maker in Cam Thomas (who is a better scorer than DJM btw), ok PG in Schröder, good scorer and defender in Mikal and good bench players in Dennis Smith, Lonnie Walker, Dayron Sharpe, Simmons? That team on paper is very similar to DJM, Caruso, Bridges, JJ, OO and this team will struggle to make the playoffs or just hover around the playins