2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't want to bash DJ but geez louise.  He's been in the league longer than Trae and has played in a total of 10 playoff games as a starter.  If DJ can do what Trae has done then why hasn't he?

The age stuff is something I don't really understand. 

People act like his career started that first year with the Hawks. Moreso from people not on the squawk. 

DJM has been around A WHILE. 

He was teammates with not just Kawhi.... 

But Aldridge, Tony P, Manu, and Pau Gasol as well... 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't want to bash DJ but geez louise.  He's been in the league longer than Trae and has played in a total of 10 playoff games as a starter.  If DJ can do what Trae has done then why hasn't he?

Lmao at this entire Trae /DJM medley of pitniks about Trae. If anyone thinks Murray is better than Trae, it's their opinion.  No matter how interestingly...interesting that take is. I'm not interesting in trading Trae.  I would be...sad...

IMG_0150.gif.3e2442f9f1569bcd73058ca2f881f835.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

They just made such a huge mistake trading for DJM.  We would have been better trading for KCP and he was almost free compared to DJM's price.  I'm sure they could not see the fit being as bad as it ended up being but it is a huge miss.

To be fair, I think half the league was scared of KP's injury history (and present).  Bringing him here would've potentially stalled JJ's progression as well.  The fit next to OO is tantalizing though.  In hindsight, DJM looked like what the doctor ordered on paper.  A secondary creator and a reputation as a perimeter defender.  The fit didn't translate from paper to the hardwood though. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

To be fair, I think half the league was scared of KP's injury history (and present).  Bringing him here would've potentially stalled JJ's progression as well.  The fit next to OO is tantalizing though.  In hindsight, DJM looked like what the doctor ordered on paper.  A secondary creator and a reputation as a perimeter defender.  The fit didn't translate from paper to the hardwood though. 

I wasn't actually talking about KP although that was clearly a good move.  I was saying that we would have been better off trading for KCP - Kentavius Caldwell-Pope.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

I wasn't actually talking about KP although that was clearly a good move.  I was saying that we would have been better off trading for KCP - Kentavius Caldwell-Pope.

I completely missed the "C"  🤣  KCP would've been a great (and inexpensive) fit next to Trae for sure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, AHF said:

They just made such a huge mistake trading for DJM.  We would have been better trading for KCP and he was almost free compared to DJM's price.  I'm sure they could not see the fit being as bad as it ended up being but it is a huge miss.

This is flat out wrong.

DJM resigned on a value contract and is our best positive asset. Either way you slice it, it was worth the risk.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

I completely missed the "C"  🤣  KCP would've been a great (and inexpensive) fit next to Trae for sure!

he's probably on the way out of denver because of their payroll situation. he might be a nice piece to add if there's room after whatever blockbuster(ish) trade(s) we (hopefully) make

Edited by therealist
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, AHF said:

I applaud the attempt.  They were at least trying to solve the secondary ball handler issue and DJM had just been an all star, so I get the idea.  But yeah, it ended up being a massive MISS in terms of fit.  DJM is not an all defensive player at the 2.  And he's not an all star unless he has the ball all the time on a bad team.  So it just doesn't work.  But I won't fault them for trying to make improvements.  

My biggest complaint is they don't seem to have a vision for how they need to construct the team.  Or if they do, they haven't really executed it.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, therealist said:

he's probably on the way out of denver because of their payroll situation. he might be a nice piece to add if there's room after whatever blockbuster(ish) trade(s) we (hopefully) make

Part of me wonders if they don't somehow try to maneuver MPJ out of Denver to give better length to our team while also making Trae happy with his BFF.  I like MPJ, but he's not the defensive wing player we really need.  Would I rather him be here at his salary or a re-signed Brandon Ingram and what he's expected to get?????  Good damn question. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Part of me wonders if they don't somehow try to maneuver MPJ out of Denver to give better length to our team while also making Trae happy with his BFF.  I like MPJ, but he's not the defensive wing player we really need.  Would I rather him be here at his salary or a re-signed Brandon Ingram and what he's expected to get?????  Good damn question. 

Do you think Denver would part with MPJ?  I personally like Ingram better and think he is more impactful and MPJ is not exactly cheap (and back problems scare me).  However, not sure if MPJ is anywhere near as gettable as Ingram.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

This is flat out wrong.

DJM resigned on a value contract and is our best positive asset. Either way you slice it, it was worth the risk.

Trading 3 FRPs (2 unprotected) and 1 swap for a All-Star reserve was not worth the risk. Should've listened to Schlenk. Those picks would have held more value too.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

This is flat out wrong.

(1) We lost two seasons to this terrible fit. (We went from outright making the playoffs to being worse and being in the play-in with DJM so on court it was a step backwards).

(2) Trading 3 first round picks and a pick swap would net us more than DJM will so our assets would be better if we had them back.

It wasn't worth it at all with the benefit of hindsight.  

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I applaud the attempt.  They were at least trying to solve the secondary ball handler issue and DJM had just been an all star, so I get the idea.  But yeah, it ended up being a massive MISS in terms of fit.  

While I made the case that we overpaid, I think without the benefit of hindsight it was a much more reasonable gamble.  It just missed badly.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Birdsfan said:

Do you think Denver would part with MPJ?  I personally like Ingram better and think he is more impactful and MPJ is not exactly cheap (and back problems scare me).  However, not sure if MPJ is anywhere near as gettable as Ingram.

I don't know and haven't heard or read that he was available.  Denver needs depth right now to keep that title window open and with their financial situation, that's hard to do outside vet ring chasers lining up to sign with you.  Dealing some of your high-paid starters is a good way to break that salary allotment from one good player to 2-3 rotational pieces.  I'm not advocating this from the Hawks perspective either.  I like MPJ, but like DJ, not the fit.  Offensively he gives us another perimeter shooter, but does nothing to improve our defensive issues.   

23 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I would definitely take MPJ over Ingram.  He's a much better fit for Trae and Quin's scheme.  10 times out of 10.  

I would not take a chance with MPJ unless the medical staff is 100% ok with his back.  I am not sure how long of a career he has (and he still has over $115 million guaranteed remaining on his contract).