• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

27 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I would definitely take MPJ over Ingram.  He's a much better fit for Trae and Quin's scheme.  10 times out of 10.  

Curious.  MPJ makes Ingram look like Gary Payton defensively.  Explain.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I was wondering the same.  MPJ’s main contribution (scoring) let Denver down in their Minnesota series.  He is also already signed for multiple years.  I think I would go Ingram if those were my choices.  Ingram moves at least marginally better laterally and actually knows how to pass.  

And if he doesn't work, you have an out next season. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Birdsfan said:

I would not take a chance with MPJ unless the medical staff is 100% ok with his back.  I am not sure how long of a career he has (and he still has over $115 million guaranteed remaining on his contract).  

The only thing I'll say in MPJ's defense on the health side is that over the last 5 years even with a lost 9 game season in the mix, MPJ is averaging 54 games a season while Ingram is averaging 57 games a season.  Both are strong bets to miss significant time (20+ games) in a given year.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Curious.  MPJ makes Ingram look like Gary Payton defensively.  Explain.

It's the shot.  Career 50% 3PAr.  Doesn't shoot much from mid-range at all.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

The only thing I'll say in MPJ's defense on the health side is that over the last 5 years even with a lost 9 game season in the mix, MPJ is averaging 54 games a season while Ingram is averaging 57 games a season.  Both are strong bets to miss significant time (20+ games) in a given year.

I see your point.  However, Ingram has missed time with one-off injuries and has not had back surgery with recurring issues with his back.  It may never rear its head again, but I would be a bit worried.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It's the shot.  Career 50% 3PAr.  Doesn't shoot much from mid-range at all.  

Atleast you have some rationale.  I feel like he'd add something but not fix the things that ail us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Atleast you have some rationale.  I feel like he'd add something but not fix the things that ail us. 

He wouldn't fix everything, but he is a floor spacer, which is one of the aspects we need.  He's also not an "I'm going to take the ball and use 10 seconds of the shot clock to get to my mid-range jumper" type of player.

14 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He wouldn't fix everything, but he is a floor spacer, which is one of the aspects we need.  He's also not an "I'm going to take the ball and use 10 seconds of the shot clock to get to my mid-range jumper" type of player.

We don't need any more players on the floor with Trae who don't care about playing Defense...

Id rather have his cheaper teammate Caldwell Pope ....

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

The problem with MPJ is he's basically a walking time bomb.  I believe he's already had 3 microdisketomies.    So far I've been 100% correct in my assessment of MPJ since pre-draft when I guaranteed he would need another surgery within 2-3 years of starting his career.  Sure enough that's exactly what happened.  Now he has had 3 of them and for sure has an ugly scar tissue build up as well.

Once you start having multiple back surgeries, it's not a matter of if, but when you will have to have another one....this applies for people who do activities that are bad for the back.  Not too many things worse for the back then playing basketball.

He's gotten lucky so far in the past few years, but every time he takes the court you have to hold your breath a little bit.

IMO he's not worth it.   Not worth the stress.   He's going to need another back surgery before he's 30...guaranteed.

**this coming from someone who's had 8 of those surgeries all from sports, the first 3 from basketball.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Birdsfan said:

I see your point.  However, Ingram has missed time with one-off injuries and has not had back surgery with recurring issues with his back.  It may never rear its head again, but I would be a bit worried.

No way I was Burd’s fan first! :upsidedown: Welcome!

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Birdsfan said:

Yeah, that was probably more of a shot at Ingram than an actual defense of MPJ.  I’ve got fit questions, salary issues, and health issues with Ingram.  I hope Snyder has a specific plan for him if we trade for him and I absolutely hope he isn’t the headliner return (ie that Herb is the headliner).

Welcome to the site!