• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

29 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Ok you don't keep up with modern NBA Centers so I'll explain it to you. The way that Centers have to play defensively now is different from how it was in 1995

Like this comment from Reddit about Clingan:

Dude HAS to play deep drop coverage. He was HORRIFIC in athletic testing at combine.

He's gonna get cooked in the NBA

His BSPARQ was in the 90% percent which is excellent. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So he has no identity. Thank you for proving my point because everything with sarr offensively is what he may be able to do one day. + he has one to two shooting indicators and none actualized in his actual three point production yet.

Projecting skill level wasn’t an issue when Wemby was a 27% three point shooter in France.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Assuming we don’t trade down, what works with Trae? Important question to think about assuming that is the route we go. I think we have narrowed down the top three possibilities. 

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Projecting skill level wasn’t an issue when Wemby was a 27% three point shooter in France.  

Wemby had a whole lot more production in a better league at the same age and as evidenced by his rookie year results, will be impactful whether or not his shot develops.  Sarr's skillset suggests his outside shooting will be more important to him becoming a positive offensive player.

All that said, Sarr's game could easily change (particularly his level of physicality) as he matures so the shot may not be as important to his profile as it seems now.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The lack of information about Sarr and the Hawks COULD be telling.  If he were someone they had zero interest in, they'd likely leak information in how much they like him in an effort to get a team to trade up for him.  Instead, they've leaked how much they like Risacher and Clingan.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

The lack of information about Sarr and the Hawks COULD be telling.  If he were someone they had zero interest in, they'd likely leak information in how much they like him in an effort to get a team to trade up for him.  Instead, they've leaked how much they like Risacher and Clingan.

Withholding information can be beneficial, as it prevents other teams from learning your strategies—a lesson learned through experience with Giannis. However, it's important to remain calm about the situation. Regardless of the player acquired, this team isn't in a rebuilding phase but is more of a lower-seed playoff or play-in contender. Therefore, the rookies are unlikely to see significant playing time immediately. Hence, fretting over which rookie will be chosen is pointless since they're expected to be a 10–15-minute player off the bench.

Fun Fact: The last team to make the playoffs/play-in and win the NBA lottery was the LA Lakers in 1979. They drafted Magic Johnson. With such a precedent, any draft pick we make should be promising.

Edited by NekiEcko

13 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

The next time this FO tries to manipulate through the media will be the first time lol. 

They've done the exact opposite thus far in their time. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because they don’t 

All they have to do is draft someone who will be better than him in 4 years (and ideally the whole way).  If the draft someone else and Sarr ends up being the best player from this class in 4 years it will probably be an embarrassment for the franchise.  (I say probably because there are at least some scenarios where it would be ok like if we won a ring along the way).

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I can see a scenario where Hawks take Sarr, Wiz takes Zacc...then depending on who the Rockets take will determine the next moves. If Clingan is the Houston pick, Hawks keep Sarr, if it's Reed....the follow up deals would be as follows:

Hawks trade #1 Sarr to Wiz for #Zacc plus a future 1st that has to convey

Hawks then trade Zacc to SAS for #4 (Clingan) and #8.

That is how you maximize #1 if you aren't keeping it.

Let me repeat: I'm very UNCOMFORTABLE  trading with the Spurs, again!

Yep. You got another trade with the Spurs and another draft night trade similar to the Luka trade. Double yikes!

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Sothron said:

If we trade down for 4 and 8, and I stress if, there would be another trade lined up with Houston to get up to #3 so we could take Clingan.  #4 and AJ for #3 is fair value.

There would have to be more than 4 and 8 coming back for me to make that trade.

54 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I can see a scenario where Hawks take Sarr, Wiz takes Zacc...then depending on who the Rockets take will determine the next moves. If Clingan is the Houston pick, Hawks keep Sarr, if it's Reed....the follow up deals would be as follows:

Hawks trade #1 Sarr to Wiz for #Zacc plus a future 1st that has to convey

Hawks then trade Zacc to SAS for #4 (Clingan) and #8.

That is how you maximize #1 if you aren't keeping it.

Let me repeat: I'm very UNCOMFORTABLE  trading with the Spurs, again!

This would help restock picks.  But gotta get more than 4 and 8.  And I don’t want to trade with the Spurs either.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think the “don’t trade with the Spurs” stuff is overblown. I’m all about learning from mistakes but never has our mistake been as simple as trading with SA. With DJM, the mistake was ignoring our GM and letting ownership/nepotism make the call. The market was also upside down due to the recent Gobert trade. With Splitter, the mistake was trading for a player who was often injured. The result wasn’t surprising. To the best of my knowledge, the Spurs did nothing nefarious — didn’t lie to us or mislead us. They were simply the benefactor of our risky/misguided choices.

If we think a trade can make us better, make it. (One caveat, don’t trade with the Celtics. F those guys.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1