• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

39 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Those on the Clingan train, if we didn’t have Trae, would he still be your pick?

And what happens if Trae leaves in 2 years?

1. No

2. We have a greater chance keeping Trae with Clingan plus another asset from trading down.  Sarr is a small consolation prize if we lose Trae.  I don’t view Sarr as a future star, maybe a high level role player at best.  He has no offensive game. It sounds like they’ll take Risacher if they keep #1 anyways.  

If I had to bet on when a future star will get picked, I actually would take the field over the top 3 in this draft.  

28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The best chance to keep Trae is more about how we reshape the rest of the existing roster and how willing we are to avoid the cost cutting route that has plagued this team - not 2 rookies. I mean we had the #4 and #10 picks (in a better draft) not too long ago, now we're circling that wagon again.

In actuality, that draft wasn’t very good.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The best chance to keep Trae is more about how we reshape the rest of the existing roster and how willing we are to avoid the cost cutting route that has plagued this team - not 2 rookies. I mean we had the #4 and #10 picks (in a better draft) not too long ago, now we're circling that wagon again.

If you have an extra pick it helps you reshape the roster.  It just depends on what you do with that pick.  It could be traded for a vet.  
But in this draft I really believe there are like 10 guys who are similar level prospects.  If you draft the right guys you can get more immediate help and more for the future as well.

Cutting has plagued this team, but it’s the effect not the cause.  Our entire front court had top 60 salaries, but not a single top 60 player.  You have to cut when you overspend.  It’s true for any budget.  We couldn’t trade Hunter, JC, or Hunter for a star.  Once we spent on them cutting salary was necessary.  Any NBA GM would be forced to do what we did.  Was spending on the wrong guys the main problem or cutting overpaid guys the problem?  You guys keep highlighting the wrong mistake.  

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

That draft had Zion and Ja. This year pales in comparison.

Ja wasn’t a sure thing.  In fact, most had RJ Barrett rated higher.  I didn’t, but many had Barrett rated second to Zion.  

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because he doesn’t have a base for an offensive game. 

I scream bs on that.  He's improved aspects of his game.  I don't buy that he can't improve. He can accidently get 10 points but at this point I need that Defense and upside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Ja wasn’t a sure thing.  In fact, most had RJ Barrett rated higher.  I didn’t, but many had Barrett rated second to Zion.  

I don't remember anyone having Barrett above Ja.  It was always a clear top 3, but it was always Zion, Ja and then Barrett.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Draft picks are how you get star players. You have to get lucky, that's the only way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Birdsfan said:

I don't remember anyone having Barrett above Ja.  It was always a clear top 3, but it was always Zion, Ja and then Barrett.

Don’t matter either way because it was a more talented draft at the time. Cam Reddish may have gone number one in this year’s draft. He compares very favorable to Risacher honestly lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

There are enough people that thought Ayton and Bagley were better draft prospects than Luka for me to know that nobody, including the paid professionals, really knows anything at the end of the day.

Seriously, this draft is one of the least predictable ever, and drafts by rule are unpredictable (the outcomes, that is). No one has any idea who will be good. Nobody. 

• Like 2