• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

16 minutes ago, ShayD said:

This is what happens when you are the number 1 pick. You have a lot of expectations, and when there are other rookies doing better there is going to be a lot of dumb takes, whether it's deserved or not. He is 19 and needs time, but everyone expects him to at least look better than rest of players picked after him

Whether you're a team operating on a tight budget or a heavy spender, you still have to remember how much the #1 pick gets paid.  By no means am I saying you don't draft him or anyone else solely on that, but $ is a real issue for this team historically and paying a guy 8 figures to be a 9th or worse man in the rotation could cost us.  I hope not because I love his potential as he adds something we really don't have on this team. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Here's what you aren't getting, I don't have a perspective on Sarr. I haven't said what I think he can or can't be. Not in terms of role player, all star, super star. I haven't made a single declaration about it because I don't know. 

My "emotional reaction" is not against you not liking Sarr. It was in direct response to you claiming "he won't be anything" and "he has no offensive game."

I responded simply saying he's 19, give him a chance to develop. But you already made up your mind. I haven't made up my mind on anyone. I just believe the Hawks need a center more than any other position so I'm favoring Sarr and Clingan. 

What you are putting in quotes is not what I said.  I literally said, "I don't view him as a future star" and I guess you translated that to "he won't be anything."  Also, he currently does not have much offensive game, I think that's fairly objective analysis on where he is right now.  All of the posts around here even say, he will make immediate impact on defense and give his offense time.  No one is even claiming he has any kind of bag on offense at the moment.  

If we select him I would be excited and would give him a long leash to develop.  But here's the thing a GM can't follow your premise of not having a perspective on Sarr.  They have to have a perspective on a player.  When you say "I don't have a perspective on Sarr" what is your reason for favoring him at the center position?  

How do you have a draft discussion if you can't take a perspective on the players?  Every year we talk about players we view as potential stars.  I don't get your beef.  You're not even quoting me and then you're attacking something I didn't say.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would not let tht deter me - if he's your guy - you take your guy.

It's up to the FO and coaches to sell him on the plan and how he fits.

A lot of Sarr criticism boils down to people giving coaches/FOs way too much grace. Do your job. You make millions of dollars for this exact reason. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Once upon a time Atlanta was in the draft at #4, I believe.  They selected a player who had played overseas for a while.  They traded him for the #6 pick and that team's #1 pick the next season.  The player that Atlanta selected is now getting beat in the NBA finals.

This summer, Atlanta has the #1 pick in the draft.  Sarr, who has played overseas for a spell, has all the + things going for him that the Atlanta Hawks have said that they really need.  

Why don't we trade our #1 pick to someone for their #1 first round pick next year?  They might need to throw in a future 2nd round pick because their #1 pick next summer will be protected!  This makes just as much sense as some of the junk I have read.

:ahf:

You just trying to work me up now Gray. Congrats..it worked...%*^**Going back to hole.  Smdh 

IMB_20190724084830_cE4N.gif

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

What you are putting in quotes is not what I said.  I literally said, "I don't view him as a future star" and I guess you translated that to "he won't be anything."  Also, he currently does not have much offensive game, I think that's fairly objective analysis on where he is right now.  All of the posts around here even say, he will make immediate impact on defense and give his offense time.  No one is even claiming he has any kind of bag on offense at the moment.  

If we select him I would be excited and would give him a long leash to develop.  But here's the thing a GM can't follow your premise of not having a perspective on Sarr.  They have to have a perspective on a player.  When you say "I don't have a perspective on Sarr" what is your reason for favoring him at the center position?  

How do you have a draft discussion if you can't take a perspective on the players?  Every year we talk about players we view as potential stars.  I don't get your beef.  You're not even quoting me and then you're attacking something I didn't say.  

What I put in quotes were from your posts.  The "he won't be anything" actually came from one of the message board posts you quoted and wasn't the exact quote but the summary of what they were saying.  When you quoted it, I assumed you were adopting it.  I should have been more clear there.  You made two statements - one that he would at best be a role player (iyo) and two that he had no offensive game.  The first was clearly your projection for him over his career.  I read the second in the same light - that over his career he would have no offense.  

As for the perspective on Sarr deal, you aren't paying attention to what I said.  I clearly said that in reference to whether he'll be a role player, all star, or super star.  I don't have any perspective on that and I don't think I have to.  Not one that is definite anyway.  My beef with your post that I originally responded to was exactly what I said.  That you were making definitive statements about his career when he's only 19.  You said he's a high level role player at best.  That he has no offensive game.  You weren't speaking from a stance that you thought he could improve, just one of "this is what he is." That's really annoying when none of us know how he'll turn out.  Especially considering any tape you've seen from him was in a bit role as an 18 year old or younger. 

As for the discussion, the reason I prefer Sarr is I see the potential of his offensive ability and the reality of his defensive ability.  What he does with those over his career is up to him.  But I'm drafting him based on that potential and on the Hawk's needs for an upgrade at the center position.  

Are their risks that he busts?  Of course.  Will he fail to live up to his potential?  Maybe.  But the potential is enough for me to want to draft him number 1 over Clingan and Risacher.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deester11 said:

A guy that size doing what our wings can't, don't or won't do.  AGAIN...AT THAT SIZE!  There's no debate for me. If they don't draft him on draft night......the next day....

IMG_5471.gif

I don't even think Risacher can do that.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

5 things to watch for from the Hawks

1. The Murray sweepstakes. There are serious suitors for him. It's finally going to happen. 

2. #1 overall pick. Do we keep it, do we trade it. 

3. Capela sweepstakes. He's very available and Atlanta is looking to shed salary. 

4. Hunter, for the first time, there is a legit chance he could be moved. While I have this in the 55th percent range, that's much higher than it's ever been previously. Like usual, offers matter and Atlanta isn't giving away Hunter. 

5. Watch for trades for players like Garrison Matthews or a stud young prospect AJ Griffin. Matthews is a player teams have called about and he could be packaged. 

What constitutes a serious suitor?  A team upping their offer?  Breaking the negotiation impasse?  Come on already, NOP, offer Herb.  

2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

This is why I don't agree with the "no offensive game" opinions.  Is he polished? No.  Is he advanced? No.  But does he have flashes of skill and capabilities?  Absolutely.  So saying he has no offensive game just seems like you are looking for a reason to no pick him.  

For me, I'm picking him for his defense and working to grow the offense.  We all know Trae is going to make whomever Big he plays with better.  Hell he made Damian Jones look like an actual NBA player.  Sarr will be playable immediately based on his defense and offensive potential.  

Like I said, the foundational aspects for not only "an offensive game" but an OUTSTANDING offensive game are there.  I mean, we are talking about a guy who, if every tool that he has in the shed develops, this is a Giannis level player on offense.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1