2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

6 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

I would do this deal every day of the week! 

Haha — Where do we sign?  Then, how would you follow up with.a DJ trade?

I don’t think NOP has any use for Hunter with Herb/Trey, however.

6 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:
Edited by Hawkish

It was so good, I had to post it twice.

At the end of the video, Sarr is asked what he sees as a role for himself at the start of his NBA career.  Sarr says that he seems himself as a good offensive rebounder, pushing the ball in the open court, being versatile on defense and switching on ball screens, change shots at the rim, and step out for three-point shots.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It was so good, I had to post it twice.

At the end of the video, Sarr is asked what he sees as a role for himself at the start of his NBA career.  Sarr says that he seems himself as a good offensive rebounder, pushing the ball in the open court, being versatile on defense and switching on ball screens, change shots at the rim, and step out for three-point shots.  

I laughed at your comment for the first sentence, not Sarr's comments.  Just to be clear.  🤣

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

39:35 moment in the video.  Sarr hits a Dirk fade away shot.

Nobody blocks that if he gets it down like KD.

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

39:35 moment in the video.  Sarr hits a Dirk fade away shot.

😐 ok again. He gets that shot down nobody can block it. 🗣️ 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Like I said, the foundational aspects for not only "an offensive game" but an OUTSTANDING offensive game are there.  I mean, we are talking about a guy who, if every tool that he has in the shed develops, this is a Giannis level player on offense.  

Would you rather Jakob Poeltl, Walker Kessler, Ivica Zuba? Or Giannis?  Hmm...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Nobody blocks that if he gets it down like KD.

😐 ok again. He gets that shot down nobody can block it. 🗣️ 

Would love to see him develop a counter move to this move (pump fake and under) and overall control/ability to make reads (rather than a premeditated move).

2 minutes ago, deester11 said:

This is a bit hyperbole… Clingan will be better than those guys.  Also, Sarr doesn’t have to be Giannis to be the best player in this draft.

Edited by Hawkish
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hawkish said:

This is a bit hyperbole… Clingan will be better than those guys.  Also, Sarr doesn’t have to be Giannis to be the best player in this draft.

Lmao.  Act like you been here...it was meant to be hyperbole.  It's Sarr for me and it has been since they said we had one  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

What I put in quotes were from your posts.  The "he won't be anything" actually came from one of the message board posts you quoted and wasn't the exact quote but the summary of what they were saying.  When you quoted it, I assumed you were adopting it.  I should have been more clear there.  You made two statements - one that he would at best be a role player (iyo) and two that he had no offensive game.  The first was clearly your projection for him over his career.  I read the second in the same light - that over his career he would have no offense.  

As for the perspective on Sarr deal, you aren't paying attention to what I said.  I clearly said that in reference to whether he'll be a role player, all star, or super star.  I don't have any perspective on that and I don't think I have to.  Not one that is definite anyway.  My beef with your post that I originally responded to was exactly what I said.  That you were making definitive statements about his career when he's only 19.  You said he's a high level role player at best.  That he has no offensive game.  You weren't speaking from a stance that you thought he could improve, just one of "this is what he is." That's really annoying when none of us know how he'll turn out.  Especially considering any tape you've seen from him was in a bit role as an 18 year old or younger. 

As for the discussion, the reason I prefer Sarr is I see the potential of his offensive ability and the reality of his defensive ability.  What he does with those over his career is up to him.  But I'm drafting him based on that potential and on the Hawk's needs for an upgrade at the center position.  

Are their risks that he busts?  Of course.  Will he fail to live up to his potential?  Maybe.  But the potential is enough for me to want to draft him number 1 over Clingan and Risacher.  

Still not what was said by anyone. I stand by everything I actually said. Never once said he can’t improve or he can’t become anything.

And yes, I am looking for reasons to not take him, but that is part of every draft analysis.  You look at pros and cons.  You guys have the pros pretty well covered, but get triggered by any challenge to Sarr being the pick.

Objectively there are analysts not projecting him to become a star and questioning his offensive game.  That’s all I ever said.  It would be different if I was just making stuff up.  

1 minute ago, deester11 said:

So, I think there are multiple potential outcomes.  I think if you look at both players and what their 90th percentile outcomes are, then it's a debate of would you rather have Giannis or Rudy Gobert.  I think there is a median outcome for Alex that puts him at the Mobley/JJJ intersection.  I think a floor for Alex is a Nic Claxton type.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Lmao.  Act like you been here...it was meant to be hyperbole.  It's Sarr for me and it has been since they said we had one  

I know, sir!  Still playing a bit devil’s advocate because others have stated what you just did and likely meant it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Haha — Where do we sign?  Then, how would you follow up with.a DJ trade?

I don’t think NOP has any use for Hunter with Herb/Trey, however.

For the record, I don't think it's a deal NOP would agree to lol

• Like 1

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

But does he have flashes of skill and capabilities?  Absolutely. 

41 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Like I said, the foundational aspects for not only "an offensive game" but an OUTSTANDING offensive game are there.  I mean, we are talking about a guy who, if every tool that he has in the shed develops, this is a Giannis level player on offense.  

He has a long way to go to have these skills as consistent deliverables but, man, the flashes are amazing and cover a really broad range of territory (dribbling, passing, shooting, etc).

Edit:  Let me add that when I look at 90th percentile types of outcomes Giannis is not who comes to mind for me because of how I handicap the likelihood of Sarr developing a jumper (pretty reasonable projection) and how extreme I view the outcome of Giannis being as effective of a scorer as he is with as little range as he has (a more than 99th percentile outcome).  I get the comparison between them but see the skills likely to end up in different places where Sarr doesn't have Giannis' volume or his dominance but has more diversity in his quiver.  (I could contrast prime Horford and prime Amare like that.)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

What constitutes a serious suitor?  A team upping their offer?  Breaking the negotiation impasse?  Come on already, NOP, offer Herb.  

NO is not going to offer Herb. The only possibility would be in a trade for Trae maybe, but they value him VERY highly.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Nobody takes that clown seriously do they?  Not to say he could not be accurate in his assessment of value, but it is purely his opinion.  He has no "inside info."  He is more of a satirical poster.

36 minutes ago, Afro said:

For the record, I don't think it's a deal NOP would agree to lol

I didn't either, but we need that kind of fleecing along with winning the #1 to right some of the wrongs of this franchise (by our own hands or others).  🤣

I do think part of that might be realistic though and a deal I'd stand behind regardless of who our pick is.  Capela for Smart is a deal that should definitely happen.  Smart is a former DPOY who has been hit by injuries like Kendrick's bars hit Drake. If Smart can play even 60 games for us next season, it would give us the perfect guy next to Trae and the gritty IDGAF attitude this team is lacking. 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Birdsfan said:

NO is not going to offer Herb. The only possibility would be in a trade for Trae maybe, but they value him VERY highly.

You are right that Herb has a high value that is half about his play and half about his contract.  This is why DJM is worth considerably more than Ingram.  His contract is much better than Ingram's will be and no team can guarantee that Ingram won't be gone after next year.

So if you aren't doing a trade for Herb, NO has to figure out a way to goose the deal beyond just DJM and Ingram to make it make sense.  

• Like 2

Probably nothing, but I'm gonna take it as a sign lol. 

We heard a lot about Clingan during and right after his workout from "plugged in" people. Risacher worked out and crickets 

Edited by Afro