• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Of those teams, only Minnesota is close to being exclusively drop coverage.  Boston very clearly isn't.  They blitz.  They hedge.  They show.  Dallas hedges a lot.  Denver does more hedging than drop because Jokic isn't a great rim protector and has a good feel for getting into passing lanes.  

As Sam Vecenie said in the podcast, ground coverage defensively is the most important aspect, particularly in the playoffs against teams running 5 out offenses.  

You are too worried with winning it all in one offseason. The hawks need to become a legit playoff team before they can become a contender where you are worrying about all these specific matchups and this and that. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 5:04 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I can see a scenario where Hawks take Sarr, Wiz takes Zacc...then depending on who the Rockets take will determine the next moves. If Clingan is the Houston pick, Hawks keep Sarr, if it's Reed....the follow up deals would be as follows:

Hawks trade #1 Sarr to Wiz for #Zacc plus a future 1st that has to convey

Hawks then trade Zacc to SAS for #4 (Clingan) and #8.

That is how you maximize #1 if you aren't keeping it.

Let me repeat: I'm very UNCOMFORTABLE  trading with the Spurs, again!

Great post. 
Reed fits what HOU needs - feel pretty confident they will take him so IMO, the talk of #4 and AJ for #3 is bag GMing. And still agree to just keep Sarr if HOU somehow takes Clingan. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think the risk is less that Houston drafts Clingan and is more that Houston trades down to someone wanting Clingan.

If they're interest in Reed, it limits how far they can trade down as well.

• Like 1

I think there is a chance that Washington takes Clingan at 2 if Sarr goes 1.  So, you would have to make sure that whoever goes up to #1 is wanting Risacher and not Sarr.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

You are too worried with winning it all in one offseason. The hawks need to become a legit playoff team before they can become a contender where you are worrying about all these specific matchups and this and that. 

:er: But I thought the idea behind getting Clingan is because he's more 'nba ready' fir next season, since we don't have time to 'develop' Sarr. 

I'd prefer we look beyond just next season but also the next few years and how the #1 projects.

• Like 4

Everyone says "Sarr couldnt get on the floor in a meh league" but he managed to play 17mpg as a backup. 

But the dude who is unquestionably better to fix our defense immediately can barely stay on the floor longer? As a starter? 

I'm starting to feel like I'm taking crazy pills lol

Edited by Afro
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Afro said:

Everyone says "Sarr couldnt get on the floor in a meh league" but he managed to play 17mpg as a backup. 

But the dude who is unquestionably better to fix our defense immediately can barely stay on the floor longer? As a starter? 

I'm starting to feel like I'm taking crazy pills lol

This is a great point.

22mpg as a starter vs 17mpg as a backup.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is a great point.

22mpg as a starter vs 17mpg as a backup.

I feel like I'm the only one that sees a downside to Clingan that isn't related to opportunity cost. 

Drop coverage and injury risk aside. What's gonna happen when you spent a #1 on a dude that can never play more than 26ish mpg? Like an Ivica Zubac. 

People wanna talk about "Quinns new Rudy". Rudy plays 34 minutes a night! His conditioning is a HUGE part of his impact. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is why I keep saying 'The Hawks have done a miserable job controlling their own narrative.' They are letting everyone else set the tone for what they're doing or not doing. Perception matters.

Example: Cavs are in a similar boat with Mitchell and Garland, you know what the GM did...said they're telling coaching candidates they're keeping both their players. It changes perception even if it won't eventually be true.

If Landry f*cks up this pick and blabbers his mouth into terrible deals for Young/DJM he easily goes down as the worst GM of the modern Hawks era. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

This past week there's been a large "Sarr fans live in a fantasy world and ignore his flaws" sentiment.... 

But the same people act like Clingans ONLY flaw is a questionable ceiling for a top 3 pick. 

It's absurd and the hypocrisy is hella annoying. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Afro said:

Why does no one mention Clingan managed to play.... 22 minutes last year. 

The "best prospect for immediate impact" can only play 20mpg?

I mentioned it earlier but I guess it was ignored lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bonkers said:

I mentioned it earlier but I guess it was ignored lol

I definitely missed it, but I've skimmed the last few pages lol. The discourse is going down hill(predictably as we get further in the process). 

• Like 1