• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 minute ago, Afro said:

I definitely missed it, but I've skimmed the last few pages lol. The discourse is going down hill(predictably as we get further in the process). 

Yea I mentioned it right here lol

On 6/12/2024 at 6:13 PM, Bonkers said:

Oh yea I forgot to mention Clingan's horrible stamina issues coupled with his garbage athleticism lmaooo

His big ass only played 22 mins a game which is terrible. That's all-time awful level stamina

You have got to be kidding me hahaha

In a good/deep draft he would be bottom of the 1st round AT BEST

Laughable to even consider a player of his caliber in the lottery lol

• Thanks 1

2024 NBA Draft: Ranking the top center prospects, including potential No. 1 pick Alex Sarr - Yahoo Sports

1. Alex Sarr

Ht./Wt.: 7-1, 225 pounds | Age: 19

Sarr has had one of the most unique paths to the NBA. Originally from France, he turned pro at 14 and played in Spain and France before coming to the U.S., where he didn't go to college but elected to join Overtime Elite's semi-pro league for two years. Last season he moved halfway around the world to play for the Perth Wildcats in Australia's National Basketball League.

"The professional route just suits me better as a player and has helped me develop my game better," Sarr told Yahoo Sports last fall. "The spacing allows me more freedom and versatility, so that’s why I chose to play in the NBL and not college."

Sarr is an elite rim protector and showed more promise with his pick-and-pop game during the shooting drills at the combine. The Atlanta Hawks have the No. 1 pick and will likely be considering Sarr or wing Zaccharie Risacher if they keep the pick. Sarr has the potential to become an inside-out center like Wembanyama and Holmgren with how well he moves off the ball and his shot creation off the block.

(Grant Thomas/Yahoo Sports Illustration)

(Grant Thomas/Yahoo Sports Illustration)

2. Donovan Clingan

Ht./Wt.: 7-2, 282 pounds | Age: 20

Clingan was one of the most improved prospects from his freshman to sophomore year this past season and the anchor that helped lead UConn to back-to-back titles. His presence in the lane is immediately felt and he runs the floor very well for his size. When he was completely healthy during the back half of the season, Clingan made plays at the rim on defense and beat players in transition for easy alley-oop dunks. He credits the UConn coaching staff for his transformation and development.

"We practice 11 months out of the year, and Coach [Dan] Hurley pushed us to our max every single day," Clingan told Yahoo Sports last month. "The coaching staff got everything out of us and put us in the best position possible to be successful and succeed at a high level."

After Sarr, Clingan will be the next center off the board with multiple teams interested might have to trade up inside the top five to draft him. Detroit, Memphis, Oklahoma City and Utah are all possible landing spots for Clingan.

2024 NBA Draft: Ranking the top small forwards, led by projected No. 1 pick Zaccharie Risacher - Yahoo Sports

1. Zaccharie Risacher

Ht./Wt.: 6-8, 204 pounds | Age: 19

Risacher took a page from Victor Wembanyama's playbook and switched French teams, going from ASVEL, where he wasn't logging many minutes two years ago, to JL Bourg-en-Bresse. His minutes increased, his offensive touches increased and he started every game from March all the way to the playoffs.

Risacher might be one of the most improved players in the draft. His bread and butter is his 3-point shot, but he showed more versatility as a shot creator for JL Bourg as the season went on. In the playoff series against Monaco, Risacher averaged 14.5 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. He was tasked with guarding the best player on the perimeter all season and has great size as a wing who can contribute right away for Atlanta or whichever team drafts him.

2 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Yea I mentioned it right here lol

In a good/deep draft he would be bottom of the 1st round AT BEST

Laughable to even consider a player of his caliber in the lottery lol

At 25 minutes drafting him top 3 is idiotic when you could trade back at minimum 10 spots and just draft Edey. 

All of my Edey concerns vanish is were talking about 20-25 mpg(plus added assets) 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think the risk is less that Houston drafts Clingan and is more that Houston trades down to someone wanting Clingan.

With Portland. Look I’m getting Clingan there one way or another.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Afro said:

At 25 minutes drafting him top 3 is idiotic when you could trade back at minimum 10 spots and just draft Edey. 

All of my Edey concerns vanish is were talking about 20-25 mpg(plus added assets) 

Eh, not really.  Edey isn't going to be able to defend in the NBA AT ALL, so that limits his floor time immensely.  Edey will never be more than a 15 mpg situational sub.  I think Clingan will fit in that 24-28 mpg range because while he's a great defender, there are still some teams that he isn't going to match up well with.  

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Eh, not really.  Edey isn't going to be able to defend in the NBA AT ALL, so that limits his floor time immensely.  Edey will never be more than a 15 mpg situational sub.  I think Clingan will fit in that 24-28 mpg range because while he's a great defender, there are still some teams that he isn't going to match up well with.  

You're comparing them straight up. 

I certainly agree with you if all things are equal lol. But if we're talking 23 minutes for a part time big? Meh. Give me the assets. Give me the guy that can do 70%(fully agreeing that that 30% is allll defense) for half the salary. 

Edited by Afro

7 minutes ago, Afro said:

You're comparing them straight up. 

I certainly agree with you if all things are equal lol. But if we're talking 23 minutes for a part time big? Meh. Give me the assets. Give me the guy that can do 70%(fully agreeing that that 30% is allll defense) for half the salary. 

Nah!  I'm not getting a defensively challenged big when the team is defensively challenged all together.  

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Nah!  I'm not getting a defensively challenged big when the team is defensively challenged all together.  

I mean, I wouldn't pick either of them lol. 

But if they're the ONLY options, I'm taking Edey plus all the other stuff like I mentioned. 

• Premium Member

There are different strategies for different parts of the draft.  It's fine to experiment with projects or look for immediate contributors later in the draft.  The lottery is where you find franchise changing talent almost exclusively.  The strategy in the high lottery has to be centered on looking for those things that identify a potential star.  Also, major red flags notwithstanding, I think the best approach is to identify YOUR target moreso than disqualifying anyone else.  For me, Sarr checks the boxes he's supposed to and has star potential.  I would not overthink that selection to take any number of swings at players who do not have the same or higher ceiling, regardless of their floor.

You don't get these opportunities without sucking real bad - and we don't even have that option over the next 3 years.  Going into this with expectations centered on fit, maturity, or some ill-conceived vision is a mistake and one I hope we're not considering for the sake of ownership or what anyone on the team wants.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Right, it’s like they forget the basis of the whole argument against Sarr which is “he is raw and not ready to play yet”. Meanwhile Clingan is the reach all because everyone thinks he is ready to play now and we want to contend next season, allegedly.

This draft pick should not factor at all in to our team building strategy for 2024-25. It is a bonus piece that we should invest in with our highly touted player development. There is not one player, Clingan included, that makes us title contenders overnight. That idea needs to be put to rest. Lebron, Zion, Wemby, etc… couldn’t do it overnight when they were drafted and none of those talents exist in the draft.

We have to have the same long vision for this pick as we would Kobe and MoGeuyes development. Build around Trae with vets and let the young guys contribute only when they’re ready. 

Yeah ALOT of Sarr’s weaknesses seem to be much less of an issue at the 4 spot, (which he seems to be perfectly capable of playing btw). Maybe that makes for an awkward fit with Jalen for a while, but if they believe his shot will develop like Jalen’s has, I don’t see the problem. If anything, having above average size at the 3 and 4 gives you more leeway to play a smaller guy like OO at the 5 more. And it's still a real possibility Sarr can develop into a quality 5. 

I think the Clingan at #1 stuff is a smokescreen.....(Even though they may like him).

I'm ready to get it over with tbh.. 😂

• Like 2

If we're going to draft Clingan, we better trade back for some assets. Give me Sarr.

Side note: I love Trae, not saying we trade him, but I've got Sheppard and Dillingham in the same tier as Sarr and both are PGs. Sheppard in particular is very interesting to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is a great point.

22mpg as a starter vs 17mpg as a backup.

And one guy played against grown men

200w.gif.ff8a59a7dc06bed317d49e7df9919260.gif

• Like 2

I hate y'all.  I was on the Sarr train, but then questioned it.  I was warming to Risacher or Clingan.  Now I'm back on the Sarr train.  I don't like being wishy washy, but some of folks here make such strong cases.  Others, not so much, but overall compelling discussion, even if it's been discussed extensively already.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again. 

I think the "Oh Clingans safe and his floor is higher" is BS.

Yeah, if you ignore half of his evaluation, sure he's "safe" lol. He has just as much of a chance to be "oh this pick went POORLY" as anyone else. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

I've been on looking on twitter for the last week and most Hawks' fans are saying if Clingan is picked they're done with the team

I DARE the Hawks to pick him. See how many empty seats you'll have in that arena lol 

im just hoping this place will clear out 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

im just hoping this place will clear out 

To be fair, has there been any reports of the Hawks taking Clingan #1?  Everything I've seen, even from the questionable "sources" was they were looking at trading back to get him.  Whether it's the right call, it's a lot different to get additional assets and the player you want vs. reaching on a pick to make sure you get your guy.  Makes you wonder if there's a smokescreen or something the powers that be really question about Sarr that the general public doesn't know about.  No clue, but as many have said, I'm just ready for this draft to be over so we at least know something.