• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

14 hours ago, deester11 said:

We're not advocating different other than at 1, we like Sarr.  This team hasn't swung for the fence in ever.  Damn the "safe" pick. It's never amounted to shyt for this franchise.  

Cam Reddish was one of the worst college basketball players ever statistically, and we still picked him.. I'd call that swinging for the fences.... 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

You mean Adam Keefe in 92 wasn’t a swing for the fences? :mellow: What about Shelden in 2006. We pinch hit a couple times and knocked it out of the park with Gasol and Whoka and they went on to Memphis and Dallas respectively. 

Agreed. We got Trae now, swing it, go for it. We are a small market team this safe stuff has a second round ceiling with us, we gotta land our own stars ⭐️ like Trae and keep them! 

Sheldon was more of a high floor low ceiling pick.

He was just awful.... smh

4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Don't worry Jay, after striking out in the off season, you will get... "We decided we just really like our core, and we want this group to have a change to develop together."

giphy.gif.947019ce4cd4d7ebfd69db068f852554.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, terrell said:

Cam Reddish was one of the worst college basketball players ever statistically, and we still picked him.. I'd call that swinging for the fences.... 

He was our second lottery pick that year. We drafted Hunter at his same position and gambled actual assets to move up for him. That was a swing.

Reddish being drafted at 10 was not only a consolation prize, but even considered a steal at that spot as he was projected to be gone anywhere from 6-9 that draft.

We basically asked (2) girls to the prom just in case one canceled. But Cam was definitely the second choice. 

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Seeing lots of Murray trade ideas cropping up:

Hawks get: Jalen Suggs, Jett Howard, Orlando's 2025 1st round pick, Orlando's 2027 first round pick

Magic Get: Dejounte Murray and Anfernee Simons

Blazers Get: Anthony Black, Orlando's 2024 1st round pick (No. 18 overall), and Orlando's 2025 1st rounder via Denver protected 1-5)

Sacramento Kings receive: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin

Atlanta Hawks receive: Harrison Barnes, Keon Ellis, Sasha Vezenkov, 2024 13th-overall pick

The Hawks fielded offers for Murray leading up to this past winter’s trade deadline but couldn’t find one worth executing. During that time, they spoke with the Knicks, league sources said, but the two sides never got close to an agreement. Part of Murray’s appeal to New York was his flippability; the Knicks could trade for Murray at the deadline, then include him in another deal for a star this summer or next season.
Source: New York Times

GIve us Suggs and Black + the picks..

They can keep Jett...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I would do the magic trade

Trading inside your own division is tough though....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I don’t hate the logic at all. I dont like ZR, but the reasoning is spot on for me.

I do think you have to roll with Sarr or ZR, or even Matas for that matter. You cannot play it safe if picking number 1. You cannot focus solely on roster building. That’s how you draft a Sam Bowie over MJ, or a Bagley over Luka, or a Greg Oden (Clingan) over Kevin Durant.

When you settle for safe or ready now, you almost certainly ignore who is special/unique. If the Hawks pick anyone and justify the logic like the article, I can at least live with that. If we get cute and try to walk away with Clingan and Knect, I will be extremely turned off to this front office for good.

Taking Bagley wasn’t a win now or upside decision.  I was simply a poor decision to take a guy who simply didn’t project well at any position.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Essentially breaks down into 1 for 4 and 8; Murray for Johnson, #35, 25 FRP, and a future FRP.  

From an accounting standpoint, it saves the Hawks roughly $3.5 million in 24/25.   35th pick probably gets a two way deal.  

Ugg KJ isnt good..

Can we reroute him somewhere else? lol

• Premium Member

I think Risacher is going #1.  Now, if the Spurs want him, the Hawks should be getting more than just picks 4 and 8.  The Hawks have no incentive to just help the Spurs.  And on the remote chance the Hawks take Clingan at #1, the Wizards will take Sarr and I think Houston would take Risacher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I think Risacher is going #1.  Now, if the Spurs want him, the Hawks should be getting more than just picks 4 and 8.  The Hawks have no incentive to just help the Spurs.  And on the remote chance the Hawks take Clingan at #1, the Wizards will take Sarr and I think Houston would take Risacher.

The Spurs ran us through the coals with our last trade.  Yet, we want to work something out with them that helps them more clearly than it helps us?  Kick rocks… 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Taking Bagley wasn’t a win now or upside decision.  I was simply a poor decision to take a guy who simply didn’t project well at any position.  

They went “fit” next to Fox. They had their ball dominant guard already and didn’t “need” Luka. (Their logic not mine)

still remember many around here bragging about his second jump like that’s ever been a thing that moved the needle.

That’s why I take everything with a grain of salt from the so called knowledgeable basketball folk around here.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
Just now, Hawkish said:

The Spurs ran us through the coals with our last trade.  Yet, we want to work something out with them that helps them more clearly than it helps us?  Kick rocks… 

Which is my point.  If the Hawks decided to deal with the Spurs, some of their future draft capital should be coming back.  Otherwise...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AHF said:

Fwiw, I am not expecting either Sheppard or Dillingahm to be true playmaking PGs I the NBA. I would label them more combo guards or small SGs with some playmaking ability.

I mostly agree but I think they'll have all star level impact and both fit well with JJ. Honestly I could talk myself into Sheppard over Sarr even with Trae. At a certain point the stats don't lie and Sheppard's stats are ridiculous 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Which is my point.  If the Hawks decided to deal with the Spurs, some of their future draft capital should be coming back.  Otherwise...

Tricky.  If we are saying the #8 pick in this draft is less valuable than our draft picks we are betting against ourselves.  What if we're trying to be a team that drafts in the 20's?  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If the Hawks didn't have Trae Young the pick would be easy. Now after landing at 1, everything is just more difficult than it needs to be. Just make the right pick/decision on draft night. Most important offseason in Trae Young era

6 minutes ago, ShayD said:

If the Hawks didn't have Trae Young the pick would be easy. Now after landing at 1, everything is just more difficult than it needs to be. Just make the right pick/decision on draft night. Most important offseason in Trae Young era

Correction, most important off season in the Dejounte Murray era. The Trae Young era will soon draw to a close.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShayD said:

I think it should be easy, but apparently the league is seeing something that I’m not.  If you listen to the draft analysts, the league is higher on Risacher.  

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Correction, most important off season in the Dejounte Murray era. The Trae Young era will soon draw to a close.

Trae isn’t getting traded, and Murray will likely be traded before the draft.  

• Thanks 2