• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'm a little surprised, even though I might have missed it, that no one noticed in Landry's presser that he was asked point blank who was making the final call on the pick and Landry said it was his decision. 

I got it covered in another thread 🤓

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Do you believe him?

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Yea right. He's just a puppet. Tony gets what Tony wants. 

:Korver: "Oh you think Tony's in charge.  Well, what if I told you 'Korver' translates to 'Puppetmaster' in Czechoslovakian.  Mwahahaaa!" 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So what does a trade with each of these teams get us?

Grizzlies, Bulls, Wizards, and Pelicans

Smart still for me.

They have Bane and Kennard. 

I think Smart moves on.

IMG_5533.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AHF said:

Two quick comments:

How can you take a wing at 1 who is a disaster with his athleticism?  Seeing 5th percentile stuff from him really limits his potential.  I can’t justify a wing as the top pick when he tests worse than Edey on athletic measures.  (Relative to others at the position.)

Who cares how Clingan shoots against chairs and 6’0’’ managers in workouts?  Does anyone believe that is more predictive than his free throw shooting?  What is his excuse for why he can’t shoot from the line in games?  (The reasons to take him have nothing to do with his shooting.)

Was listening to a pod yesterday while traveling and Risacher was described offensively  as a tall wing with a limited handle that can't create for himself and is a streaky shooter. Defensively, he's really good off the ball but not great as a poa defender. Lacks athleticism.

So basically he's DeAndre Hunter 2.0. Why the heck would we draft him 1st overall?

I honestly think the only reason he's this highly thought of is because the Spurs are rumored to like him. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Was listening to a pod yesterday while traveling and Risacher was described offensively  as a tall wing with a limited handle that can't create for himself and is a streaky shooter. Defensively, he's really good off the ball but not great as a poa defender. Lacks athleticism.

So basically he's DeAndre Hunter 2.0. Why the heck would we draft him 1st overall?

I honestly think the only reason he's this highly thought of is because the Spurs are rumored to like him. 

He'd fit what Wemby did but not in Atlanta. I'm not even close to a Hunter fan and I'd take 10 Hunters before Risacher. Just ewww.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Between Risachers bad measurables and Sarrs tiny hands, I can see why the Hawks would choose Clingan or Sheppard

Why would they choose Sheppard?  He is a combo guard who is at best a 6th man in Atlanta (as long as Trae or DJM is starting) but we just drafted one of those last year in Kobe Bufkin.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Sothron said:

I'm a little surprised, even though I might have missed it, that no one noticed in Landry's presser that he was asked point blank who was making the final call on the pick and Landry said it was his decision. 

It is a nothing burger.

if Landry is making the call, that is what he will say.  If Tony is making the call…that is also what Landry will say because he is then there as the public face and firewall for Ressler.  We learn nothing from this answer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AHF said:

It is a nothing burger.

if Landry is making the call, that is what he will say.  If Tony is making the call…that is also what Landry will say because he is then there as the public face and firewall for Ressler.  We learn nothing from this answer.

It would be nice if GMs would come out after they are fired give all the dirt on how owners are undermining them. Of course they can't because they don't want to get blackballed by the owners or look like it's sour grapes. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It would be nice if GMs would come out after they are fired give all the dirt on how owners are undermining them. Of course they can't because they don't want to get blackballed by the owners or look like it's sour grapes. 

True but truth is truth.  Owners absolutely do undermine GM's.  I think the only one that defended himself after the fact was the Nets former GM that made that terrible deal for the washed Selltics, Garnett and Pierce.  I'm pretty sure he acknowledged that their owner mandated that deal, which ultimately destroyed his reputation as an exec. 

• Like 1

First round

atl.png&h=110&w=110

1. Atlanta Hawks

Zaccharie Risacher, SF, Bourg (France) | Age: 19.1

The Hawks casted a wide net through the pre-draft process, aggressively recruiting nearly every prospect in the lottery for workouts while also bringing in players projected outside that range, indicating the team is preparing for different strategies depending on what it learns and potential trade opportunities.

While it appears the Hawks are far from making final decisions, many teams say their intel indicates Risacher remains the favorite at No. 1, partially because of the dual-track flexibility he offers of either remaining competitive next season or tapping into his upside as the type of big, versatile wing that is difficult to acquire outside the draft. The Hawks will bring Risacher in for a workout Wednesday, his first with the team thus far, which should help add clarity regarding his standing.

The Hawks have been unable to bring Alex Sarr in for a workout to this point, but the door remains open for that to potentially happen. Clingan appears to be Risacher's main rival at No. 1. His workout -- where he shot the ball extremely well, showed surprisingly good passing ability operating out of short rolls and was impressive both in film study and in interviews -- helped his draft standing and makes him as possible sleeper selection here, as we've discussed for several weeks.

The status of Atlanta's Trae Young is the big question hovering over the franchise. One option that has been widely discussed among teams is the possibility of the Hawks reacquiring their unprotected 2025 first-round pick from San Antonio (perhaps in a swap for the No. 4 pick), which would give the team far more flexibility for rebuilding. That would currently be difficult to fathom, with their next three draft picks (2025, 2026 swap rights and 2027) owned by the Spurs.

The Hawks worked out Reed Sheppard last week and Clingan before that, two attractive options at No. 4 should they elect to slide back. Atlanta also brought in Matas Buzelis, Cody Williams and Ron Holland for workouts. -- Givony

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Sometimes players, coaches and GMs get the word out after the fact.  As a fan, I’d love more detail about Ressler’s involvement in personnel decisions since I’m dogmatically against owner involvement but also recognize that there is a difference between truly overriding a GM and pressure testing.  (The latter I would say is common in business with leaders having to justify organizational decisions, capital investments, M&A activity, etc. to the CEO and can strengthen the process by ensuring due diligence.)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

True but truth is truth.  Owners absolutely do undermine GM's.  I think the only one that defended himself after the fact was the Nets former GM that made that terrible deal for the washed Selltics, Garnett and Pierce.  I'm pretty sure he acknowledged that their owner mandated that deal, which ultimately destroyed his reputation as an exec. 

That was when Prokorov (sp) was the owner.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The status of Atlanta's Trae Young is the big question hovering over the franchise. One option that has been widely discussed among teams is the possibility of the Hawks reacquiring their unprotected 2025 first-round pick from San Antonio (perhaps in a swap for the No. 4 pick), which would give the team far more flexibility for rebuilding. That would currently be difficult to fathom, with their next three draft picks (2025, 2026 swap rights and 2027) owned by the Spurs.

:er:This is wording is confusing - is it saying Trae for #4 and the 2025 pick back or one or the other.

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

:er:This is wording is confusing - is it saying Trae for #4 and the 2025 pick back or one or the other.

"Don't need it to make sense, just need it to get clicks.  Mission accomplished?" - BSPN

The wording that catches my eye is "widely discussed among teams".  That's meant to be (mis)interpreted more impactfully than it is.  They play word and mind games with people. 

Also, the 'get tha pix back' narrative is so lame.  Just stahhp.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3