• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Sarr quickly turned into a sacred cow.  

Its not about him being a sacred cow. Sarr has the potential to be the perfect complement to the other talent on the roster. If Clingan becomes as great as Gobert, that would mean a great career for him, but until the rules change you'll have a hard time winning a championship with a big that isn't effective outside the paint.

• Thanks 2

I still think it will be Sarr/Risacher at number 1 and they will try and trade back depending on where Clingan lands. Have to force Wizards to trade for Sarr if they want him and not just get him for free

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
Just now, ShayD said:

I still think it will be Sarr/Risacher at number 1 and they will try and trade back depending on where Clingan lands. Have to force Wizards to trade for Sarr if they want him and not just get him for free

And to do that, the Hawks should make it loudly known that they plan on drafting Sarr or at least that this is heavily being considered.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

And to do that, the Hawks should make it loudly known that they plan on drafting Sarr or at least that this is heavily being considered.

Just do what Boston did with Fultz or what the hawks did with Luka(even if it was wrong). Just take a player and do the trade if you know you 100% get your guy later while getting an asset in return.

Edit: Worst case just figure it out with Sarr as he has the highest potential. Play him at the 4 and JJ at the 3 if you have to

Edited by ShayD

• Moderators
Just now, ShayD said:

Just do what Boston did with Fultz or what the hawks did with Luka(even if it was wrong). Just take a player and do the trade if you know you 100% get your guy later while getting an asset in return

Right but unlike with Philly, Washington gets their guy if we don't draft them so they have to be convinced we will pick him or will trade our pick to someone who will pick him.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Right but unlike with Philly, Washington gets their guy if we don't draft them so they have to be convinced we will pick him or will trade our pick to someone who will pick him.

I'm sure Washington want Sarr and they will have to make a deal. Take 26 from them

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/lists/2024-nba-draft-workout-tracker/

Atlanta Hawks

The known list of players to have worked out with the Hawks:

• Mark Armstrong, Villanova
  • Jaden Bradley, Arizona
  • Matas Buzelis, G League Ignite
  • Nique Clifford, Colorado State
  • Donovan Clingan, UConn
  • Kevin Cross, Tulane
  • Tristan Enaruna, Cleveland State
  • Enrique Freeman, Akron
  • Coleman Hawkins, Illinois
  • Blake Hinson, Pitt
  • Ron Holland, G League Ignite
  • DJ Jeffries, Mississippi State
  • Jonathan Mogbo, San Francisco
  • Zaccharie Risacher, JL Bourg (France)
  • Payton Sandfort, Iowa
  • Babacar Sane, G League Ignite
  • Reed Sheppard, Kentucky
  • Cam Spencer, UConn
  • Armel Traoré, ADA Blois Basket (France)
  • Anton Watson, Gonzaga
  • Cody Williams, Colorado
  • Jahmir Young, Maryland
Edited by thecampster

5 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Atlanta Hawks

• Jaden Bradley, Arizona
  • Donovan Clingan, UConn
  • Kevin Cross, Tulane
  • Enrique Freeman, Akron
  • Blake Hinson, Pitt
  • Payton Sandfort, Iowa
  • Cam Spencer, UConn
  • Anton Watson, Gonzaga
  • Jahmir Young, Maryland

Interesting group of players ranked in the 5-10 range.

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Atlanta Hawks

• Jaden Bradley, Arizona
  • Donovan Clingan, UConn
  • Kevin Cross, Tulane
  • Enrique Freeman, Akron
  • Blake Hinson, Pitt
  • Payton Sandfort, Iowa
  • Cam Spencer, UConn
  • Anton Watson, Gonzaga
  • Jahmir Young, Maryland

If you come out from the draft with Clingan and Mogbo/Dunn or somehow trade back into the lottery and get both Clingan with Buzelis/Holland it will be a good draft. Play Clingan and send the other to College park 

2 hours ago, AHF said:

How does Sheppard fit?  He can't play with Trae or DJM or Bufkin for any real length of time because any of them with Sheppard is too small of a backcourt just like Trae and DJM.  

Let's look at the most likely scenario where Trae is still here and DJM is traded.

Trae 35 mpg - 13 minutes without Trae

How many minutes are there for Sheppard in this scenario?  How many for Bufkin?  I don't think it is a lot.

Let's assume you can find matchups where playing Trae and one of them isn't a terrible mismatch ala the garbage numbers from Trae / DJM lineups for say 10 minutes per game.

That leaves 23 minutes to be shared by Sheppard and Bufkin at max.

How does that make sense as a rotation in the short-term or long-term?  Sheppard isn't going to get any bigger.  Sheppard is 6'1.75'' with a 6'3.25'' wingspan.

Because he's an incredible shooter. Sometimes you just take the better player, fit be damned. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

I think those are pessimistic evaluations of him. He is clearly athletic. He moves like a 2 gaurd and is almost 6’9”. He has hops too. If he plays up one spot defensively, his length will bother gaurds and small forwards. Can’t create and not having been asked to create is two different things. That’s why it is important to have a development plan for the pick. I am not pounding the table for the guy, but he is one of the better prospects in this class. 

Hops? With a 31 in MAX vertical? That's worse than as Edey(31.5).. lol

Zaccharie Risacher’s underwhelming vert numbers (9th percentile Vert Score), bring his overall Combine Score out to 14.9

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hawkish said:

I like Smart.  Odd that the program suggests -10 wins after the deal.  Boston has certainly improved a lot since his departure.  Do you think White is just a huge improvement over him?  (What a great trade Boston made with the Spurs; imagine giving up a later 1st for White rather than 3 potentially higher picks for DJ)

White is definitely an improvement..

Smart isn't the same player he used to be..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

He isn't that long.  He's only #1 on wingspan to height.  Also, his max vertical was 30 inches.  He's a better two-foot jumper than one foot jumper.  The tools are very average.

And he has small hands(Sarr kinda does too)

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

If SA will really offer #4 and our first next year for #1, you take that deal.

And their guy Clingan goes 3rd.... lol

Just how it goes in Atlanta...

Edited by terrell

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Clingan will probably be there at #4, and if he's not can you take Sheppard, who is an incredible shooter. 

Another small guard.. Yay!!!

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

I see it as picking up an asset in a stronger draft and still possibly getting the guy you would take at 1 anyway.  Unless someone trades up for him, I can't see Houston taking Clingan.  If they did, then I'd honestly probably just take Reed Sheppard and figure out the fit later.

It's pretty obvious that Bill Duffy is steering Alex Sarr away from Atlanta and to a team where winning isn't a priority yet.

Someone will trade up for him knowing "we're in love with him"....

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I posted this on JUNE 7th. I told you all before anybody. Not supes, not sothron, not woj, not givony, not KOC, not anybody. My source is directly in the hawks building. And told you guys 12 days ago what was happening and it was met with “you are just pushing an agenda”. Or “we will take him anyways who cares” 

I believe you have a source and appreciate you sharing.

But I also believe they’re being spoon fed exactly what the higher ups in the front office want out there vs what is actually happening behind the scenes.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Here's what I'm thinking with Reed.  Quin loves guys who can shoot, and Reed is the best shooter in this draft by a significant margin.  Quin also has a recent history of fielding top 10 offenses and defenses with two shorter guards in Mike Conley and Donovan Mitchell.  Now, those guys had better wingspans and could play bigger because of that, but I don't think Quin is going to be as concerned about that as you would think.  

Stop it.....