• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

This is so dramatic lol…

You could also describe our FO as changing course based on the changing circumstances and new information gathered.  And Im not absolving them of blame here, but we had a pretty clear direction after the ECF then it turned out it was a bit flukey of a run, our young players mostly all hit walls (Hunter, OO, Kev), we had tons of injuries, and we couldnt afford a $60M bench anymore because of contract extensions.  Also Nate was not the answer and that became obvious when he implemented his outdated, trash, schemes.  A pivot was absolutely in order and frankly, the biggest mistake we made was not pivoting sooner.

The irony here being one of the only things we did that you and others here approved of was bringing in your guy, Murray, which was an overpay desperation move that served as the death knell for this iteration of the Hawks.  

I said what I said...and I stand by it.

And I'll also stand by what I said after they brought in Murray....it wasn't just bringing in Murray...it was what they did and didn't do after.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Landry has had control for about 18 months.  Hes only made decent to positive moves so far.  His reputation as a GM will largely be decided by the future consequences of the moves he makes this summer.

I disagree with the bold. He signed DJM to the max amount he could. That's about all we know on the decent-positive side. 

He also went a full offseason where we *needed* to compete and added 2 rookies and Wesley Matthews. 

And that's just critiquing the stuff that he was unquestionably the decision maker for. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Afro said:

I disagree with the bold. He signed DJM to the max amount he could. That's about all we know on the decent-positive side. 

He also went a full offseason where we *needed* to compete and added 2 rookies and Wesley Matthews. 

And that's just critiquing the stuff that he was unquestionably the decision maker for. 

Landry understands mortgaging your future flexibility for depth at the 10-15 spots does not make sense.  Hes trying to find high end talent to build around, came close with Siakam.  The idea we needed to compete last year could not be further from the truth.  It was always a development year to see who can be successful under Quin or not.  You guys act like we needed the urgency of the retirement home Lakers last year when no such urgency existed.  It was also the last year we had our pick, another reason to not go all-in on a season we had no chance to make noise… Trae is 25 but youd think hes 35 with how impatient this board is.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Risacher or Clingan at #1.

Right now, I believe it's Risacher at #1 to be held hostage for a trade down for Clingan. I think the FO is ok holding onto Zacc if the chips don't fall right, so it's the move they'll make.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Afro said:

Yall know I dont like the way Luka gets treated better than everyone else....but just for a thought experiment. 

Imagine if 3 years from this moment, that the Mavs have traded everyone from this run away for parts except Luka, Kyrie, Gafford, and Green. 

The Mavs now suck. Predictably. We're barraged with "Luka cant win" "You cant build a team with Luka" "Luka isnt even all that good". 

This is exactly what we're living through and its madness. Now throw in an extra layer of "Well Luka is worth more so we should trade him and build around Kyrie(lets just assume hes not 36)" into the mix. 

Is there anyone that wants to argue all of that isnt pure insanity? 

ETA: This is related to @KB21, not the @JeffS17 discussion. 

That's fair I guess... but Trae is not Luka. Just saying. 

1 minute ago, BangHolman said:

Right now, I believe it's Risacher at #1 to be held hostage for a trade down for Clingan. I think the FO is ok holding onto Zacc if the chips don't fall right, so it's the move they'll make.

I think they are just going to take Clingan.  

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

I see it that way also.  The threat of the Hawks taking Clingan at 1 is real, but I also think it is to get the best trade down value.  It makes sense if the Rockets have Risacher ahead of Clingan and Sheppard on their board and if Risacher is at the top of the Spurs board.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

All this fuss over Trae freaking Young.  It’s like Carmelo Knicks and Dame Blazers fanbase all over again, grasping at straws for players who “fit” this highly specialized player.  Yall know none of them are coming anyway, they don’t want to.

This is the thing Ive started to come to terms with.  Its obvious players do not like Trae nor are they itching to come play with him.  I dont know why that is but its not really that relevant.  Probably why we jumped on Murray.  To me this is probably the biggest barrier to building around him, which has been difficult to say the least.  Star level players have to want to be here.  Trae gets consistently poor survey results amongst his peers in the league.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

This is the thing Ive started to come to terms with.  Its obvious players do not like Trae nor are they itching to come play with him.  I dont know why that is but its not really that relevant.  Probably why we jumped on Murray.  To me this is probably the biggest barrier to building around him, which has been difficult to say the least.  Star level players have to want to be here.  Trae gets consistently poor survey results amongst his peers in the league.

But at the same time, the Lakers want to pair him with LeBron and AD because they believe he's the missing piece to another championship. His peer reviews will go up when/if he's out of Atlanta.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Interesting a 40+-year NBA free agent desert is being pinned on Trae.  Odd 

Is it though? I heard Trae was the 2nd figure on the grassy knoll....strange goings on for sure.

IMG_5826.gif

• Thanks 2