• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

27 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Do we also know the NBA basically allowed light hand checking again and is trying to limit foul baiting?  Do we know that Trae will be the most affected player in the league with these amendments?  Just checking.

do you know that if he were traded to one of the NBA's preferred children, they would reverse all those rule changes? Just checking.

They only created all those rules because Trae is a Hawk.  Look at Harden, Dame, Durant etc all the players they had no trouble with foul baiting until Trae came

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Is it though? I heard Trae was the 2nd figure on the grassy knoll....strange goings on for sure.

IMG_5826.gif

All I'll ask is... have you ever seen Trae and Voldemort in the same room?  Jussayin'.

And I'm pretty sure Sir Charms** picked Trae out of a lineup the last time his lucky charms came up missin'..

(** Yes, that's the leprechauns name.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Landry understands mortgaging your future flexibility for depth at the 10-15 spots does not make sense.  Hes trying to find high end talent to build around, came close with Siakam.  The idea we needed to compete last year could not be further from the truth.  It was always a development year to see who can be successful under Quin or not.  You guys act like we needed the urgency of the retirement home Lakers last year when no such urgency existed.  It was also the last year we had our pick, another reason to not go all-in on a season we had no chance to make noise… Trae is 25 but youd think hes 35 with how impatient this board is.

Just so I understand all of this. Are you saying treading water(this is the most generous of descriptions) and not trying to win after trading for DJM is a sound plan for our GM? 

Trading multiple 1sts and 4 seconds for 2 players and then sitting on your hands without an effort to win so you don't "mess up" future flexibility? 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, warcore said:

do you know that if he were traded to one of the NBA's preferred children, they would reverse all those rule changes? Just checking.

They only created all those rules because Trae is a Hawk.  Look at Harden, Dame, Durant etc all the players they had no trouble with foul baiting until Trae came

This may be a bit strong on the pro-Trae side, but there's a degree of truth here.

Nothing Trae does was invented by him.  Nor is he the only offender.

Yet people like my hillbilly friend, who simply doesn't like Trae (which is fine, just call it what it is), choose to ignore it unless it involves him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

But at the same time, the Lakers want to pair him with LeBron and AD because they believe he's the missing piece to another championship. His peer reviews will go up when/if he's out of Atlanta.

Trae could absolutely thrive in that role. Trae as a number 1 on a championship team is tough sell for me. I think he should give on the dream of being the alpha, and embrace being the maestro. His passing wizardry is his best trait, that's what he should lean into. 

1 hour ago, Afro said:

Yall know I dont like the way Luka gets treated better than everyone else....but just for a thought experiment. 

Imagine if 3 years from this moment, that the Mavs have traded everyone from this run away for parts except Luka, Kyrie, Gafford, and Green. 

The Mavs now suck. Predictably. We're barraged with "Luka cant win" "You cant build a team with Luka" "Luka isnt even all that good". 

This is exactly what we're living through and its madness. Now throw in an extra layer of "Well Luka is worth more so we should trade him and build around Kyrie(lets just assume hes not 36)" into the mix. 

Is there anyone that wants to argue all of that isnt pure insanity? 

ETA: This is related to @KB21, not the @JeffS17 discussion. 

I understand this sentiment, but I don't think this example holds true for the Hawks since some of the pieces that have been traded away (specifically Collins and Huerter) have been replaced by better players in JJ and DJM.  

So yes, the Hawks lost of bunch of non-core bench glue guys like Gallo but those are the types of players thall contenders need to replace regularly.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

You could also describe our FO as changing course based on the changing circumstances and new information gathered.

You could.

But you could also describe the FO as changing course based on circumstances that were (a) changing only for a moment relatively speaking, other circumstances that were (b) predictable and should have been already taken into account, and (c) discernment between new information that led to specious conclusions versus new information that was, indeed, worthy of considering it to be salient/compelling.

You could also look at the last 8 years, if you dare, and see a pattern of ADHD behaviors at the top combined with an egocentrism and priority on the money side of the business... and conclude logically that every change of course is just chasing of the franchise tail, and going nowhere.

I know I'm the bad guy, but if people can just tear themselves away from any personal angst they may feel as they read sturt's words... there's truth in what you just read, and your cognitive mind knows it even if your emotional mind despises it.

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Trae could absolutely thrive in that role. Trae as a number 1 on a championship team is tough sell for me. I think he should give on the dream of being the alpha, and embrace being the maestro. His passing wizardry is his best trait, that's what he should lean into. 

Trae averaged 10.8 assists last year. How much more passing does he need to do? The rest of the team needs to be better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

All this fuss over Trae freaking Young.  It’s like Carmelo Knicks and Dame Blazers fanbase all over again, grasping at straws for players who “fit” this highly specialized player.  Yall know none of them are coming anyway, they don’t want to.

I know many of yall can’t recognize makeup traits and resist metrics that are widely cited and applied by analysts and all 30 teams, I won’t bore yall anymore with that.  But try to follow some basic stats.

I have to make sure the board is aware he has 30/40 shooting splits in the playoffs with a barely 2:1 assist to turn ratio.  Do we realize this?  I know he bears no responsibility for those numbers, it’s Nate and roster construction and injuries and yada yada, I get it.  But do we know this is putrid?

Do we also know the NBA basically allowed light hand checking again and is trying to limit foul baiting?  Do we know that Trae will be the most affected player in the league with these amendments?  Just checking.

Do we know a player who refused to be drafted here basically ate Trae for lunch and pre-dinner snack this past season and made All NBA 3rd?  If the rumors are true (who knows) Sarr is a smart dude. 

Do we even follow the rest of the NBA?  Do we know what goes into a 50 win team and respectable point differential (2 things the Hawks have never come close to nor ever will with Trae?)

Last time we saw this kid he was getting dusted off by Coby f&@kin White in a play in elimination game.  The same Coby White who the heat proceeded to treat like a two-way contract player. What are we doing?

Wow, it seems you're not a fan of Trae, @benhillboy. I sense the "ether" in that post, and while it's understandable, here's why some of us don't want Trae to leave. It's been a long journey to find a star through the draft, and trading him to another team isn't ideal. It took almost 30-40 years between Nique and Trae (1982 - 2018), and there's no guarantee we'll draft another star or attract a marquee free agent with the new CBA. We can't compare our situation to teams like OKC or Orlando either; OKC was extremely lucky, and Orlando had to endure prolonged periods of poor performance for their rebuilds.

We should be cautious about what we wish for because it might just come true, and we could end up singing the "What if" tune once more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

All this fuss over Trae freaking Young.  It’s like Carmelo Knicks and Dame Blazers fanbase all over again, grasping at straws for players who “fit” this highly specialized player.  Yall know none of them are coming anyway, they don’t want to.

I know many of yall can’t recognize makeup traits and resist metrics that are widely cited and applied by analysts and all 30 teams, I won’t bore yall anymore with that.  But try to follow some basic stats.

I have to make sure the board is aware he has 30/40 shooting splits in the playoffs with a barely 2:1 assist to turn ratio.  Do we realize this?  I know he bears no responsibility for those numbers, it’s Nate and roster construction and injuries and yada yada, I get it.  But do we know this is putrid?

Do we know a player who refused to be drafted here basically ate Trae for lunch and pre-dinner snack this past season and made All NBA 3rd?  If the rumors are true (who knows) Sarr is a smart dude. 

Do we even follow the rest of the NBA?  Do we know what goes into a 50 win team and respectable point differential (2 things the Hawks have never come close to nor ever will with Trae?)

Last time we saw this kid he was getting dusted off by Coby f&@kin White in a play in elimination game.  The same Coby White who the heat proceeded to treat like a two-way contract player. What are we doing?

Like your takes.  What are you doing with #1 if it's your call BHB?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

ALL EYES ARE UPON THEM THIS OFFSEASON. I'M WAITING AND WATCHING, WATCHING AND WAITING.

Pardon the observation, but it sounds a lot like this...

But then, on top of the owner fancying his input as important you then add that the owner's priority is on his spreadsheet success over his team's on-the-court success...?

You were already ascending Everest... you were already ascending Everest under the authority of a guy who wants to be able to question the head Sherpa's wisdom... now you have to think of it as ascending Everest with an megalomaniac who is making decisions about the trek on the basis of how it affects his bank account over the basis of what it will take to get to summit Everest.

That's too much headwind. This journey is hard enough. That double whammy from the top of the organization chart is just going to be so incredibly difficult to overcome. Impossible, no, but it's something just short of that. Your GM has to be some reincarnation of Jerry West, a master of player acquisition in the way that Mozart was a musical genius. And to whatever degree your GM isn't that, you need Lady Luck filling the void.

A #1 pick for the first time in the post-ABA-merger era is a good start for Lady Luck's end of things. So that much is encouraging.

Your move, Landry. Whatcha got.

1 minute ago, sturt said:

Pardon the observation, but it sounds a lot like this...

But then, on top of the owner fancying his input as important you then add that the owner's priority is on his spreadsheet success over his team's on-the-court success...?

You were already ascending Everest... you were already ascending Everest under the authority of a guy who wants to be able to question the head Sherpa's wisdom... now you have to think of it as ascending Everest with an megalomaniac who is making decisions about the trek on the basis of how it affects his bank account over the basis of what it will take to get to summit Everest.

That's too much headwind. This journey is hard enough. That double whammy from the top of the organization chart is just going to be so incredibly difficult to overcome. Impossible, no, but it's something just short of that. Your GM has to be some reincarnation of Jerry West, a master of player acquisition in the way that Mozart was a musical genius. And to whatever degree your GM isn't that, you need Lady Luck filling the void.

A #1 pick for the first time in the post-ABA-merger era is a good start for Lady Luck's end of things. So that much is encouraging.

Your move, Landry. Whatcha got.

"Our guards cant play together. Please ignore I just said that when offering me a trade". 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, txsting said:

Like your takes.  What are you doing with #1 if it's your call BHB?

I hate his takes but I'm equally curious what his plan is.

He sounds like the dog chasing a car but has absolutely no clue what to do with it if he ever catches it. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Afro said:

"Our guards cant play together. Please ignore I just said that when offering me a trade". 

"We had to take the deal the market allowed.  I'm not sure why Murray's value was so diminished.  It's like the other teams knew I had no leverage for ... some (plethora of) reason(s)." - also Landry