• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Come to the darkside, capst.  Outsiders 'R Us. 

I been waiting on my invitation but it must keep getting lost in the mail

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

No way to the top of Everest without coming down from that local max.

Suffice it to say as a closing thought (for me, anyway) to this vein of dialogue, the one thing we plausibly all would agree upon b/c we lived through it... that pandemic really screwed with that next season (21-22)...

And the other thing only some of us would agree upon (apparently)... just a sec, let me set this up in terms everyone should be able to get... if we selected a random 30 employers in Atlanta who all had 15-ish young adult employees, and looking at a 6-week period in which the area covid infections had spiked, we'd find that there was a considerable range of variance between the most affected employee group and the least affected, using whatever measure of productivity you'd want to consider. And the point being, it's been a common and/but wrong-headed presumption that every team suffered the same obstacles, and thus, that the Hawks should have been just as able to win games during that Dec 1 - Jan 15 period as any other team.

Add to that illness factor, you had an on-going plague of injuries to consequential players that Schlenk had thought he would be able to rely upon... 

(a) Beginning of the season through January, Onyeka--who had so impressed with his defense vs. Embiid last post-season--and DHunt barely played

(b) Mid-Feburary until the end of the season, John's finger injury took him off the court for the most part, and when he came back for the MIA series, he was nothing close to 100%... and... 

(c) Then you had the Play-In game vs. CLE that pretty much eliminated Clint from being capable of having any positive impact on the MIA series..

and so, to analyze that season ignoring all of that? That would be, effectively, to choose cognitive dissonance and prefer emotional reaction over critical thought and a desire for objectivity. And too often, though, that was the analysis one would read: what a terrible team this turned out to be, after all, and just look what a disgrace they were versus MIA. So wrong.

Using the Everest analogy, it's the same as we got caught in a blizzard, and the weather just wouldn't let us ascend, and it was all we could do just to maintain where we were. But given that fuller picture of the situation, indeed, we did maintain for the most part.

The following off-season (2022), I liked that we saw the front office make an aggressive step, adding DJM. The direct cost of that was losing Gallo, and though we'd all presumed that would be the case, we did suffer from the fact that there really wasn't any legit effort to replace him... Frank the Tank Kaminsky was just never going to be a serious factor. But maybe DJM could represent a net positive.

Nope.

Then, of course, they effectively still ended up subtracting the overall talent inventory when they dealt Huerter. While it was argued that there simply were not enough minutes to justify keeping Kevin, and that it made sense to try to mitigate the effect of having dealt so much draft capital to SAS, it turned out that, no, the minutes thing didn't hold up to scruitiny since, actually, they found minutes for the comparable-sized wing who quickly proved to be too past his prime.

When they filled the Huerter void in Feb 23 by obtaining Bey, we were 50-something games into the season, without the benefit of the production that either one might otherwise have added.

Drama characterized everything about the franchise over those first 50-something games... the owner, the PoBO, the basketball ops staff, the head coach, and oh yeah, the individual players... were all at some point immersed in some form of chaos or disagreement. Travis was let go, and not replaced, leaving the league's youngest GM to figure it out. Nate was let go, and soon replaced by, at least, someone with some recognized credibility to do his job well, ie, Quin.

Somewhat amazingly, as the playoffs rolled around, there was a sense from the performance in the MIA play-in game that a corner was being turned, and the Boston series confirmed that this was a team that was coming together after all. The season ended with a lot of anticipation that this was a team evolving into a new age of maturity, and with that, a sense that maybe this roster under this widely-adored head coach, with maybe just a little talent boost, could be on a significant upward trajectory after all.

Continuing the analogy, maybe we'd been driven back to a lower camp on the mountain, but the sun was out and temperatures were warming, and perhaps another ascent back up to the camp where we finished 20-21 was feasible.

That talent boost not only didn't happen last off-season, of course, but rather, the talent inventory took a significant hit.

This is where I exited because this is where I realized the irrefutable conclusion that APR's management paradigm in combination with the newly-vivid priority on a winning spreadsheet over winning a title, both together, will necessarily always constitute too strong a headwind to ascend Everest as easily as most other NBA teams can. And that's a problem because Everest is already incredibly difficult to ascend.

You see, Antony Peter Ressler, I'm the sort of person who, when the owner of a sports franchise I follow, challenges me to detach from his hind-tit for my oxytocin and dopamine rushes, he's going to lose. Take Jim Crane, for example... bought my baseball team in 2011... infamously said when a reporter suggested there was strong backlash to the fact he was taking Selig's bribe and moving the team to the AL the next season, "It's not like they have any choice" (paraphrase). Can take a lot of people for granted as you sell hope, and generate income for yourself, but I will at least have the satisfaction that I will not be one of those. Give me respect as a fan, as a consumer of what you sell, or forget it... where it concerns you, APR, I'll not be satisfied with hamster wheels...  you genuinely must be committed to reaching the summit, by virtue of both words and actions, or I'm out for whatever time that paradigm is extant. I won't be your lap dog. I have no need to be.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, kg01 said:

I dunno, mayne.  Initiation includes saying something critical of Landry and the gang.  You might have trouble gettin in. 🙃

Landry has bags under his eyes and Tony Ressler looks like a goon trying to swag surf

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So YOU let the 12 hours past 🤔 ...:spank:

I know how much it bothers everyone. I was just trying to let people enjoy their Friday night before blowing a gasket over an emoji lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, terrell said:

Gafford actually wanted us to draft him.. We opted for Bruno instead.. smdh

FWIW, each of those were the top bigs I wanted out of that draft. Happy we at least came out with Bruno and happy he's back here. 

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Anyone want to decipher this one? :laugh1:

apparently DJ has since deleted it.

I mean, at this point it would be a bigger surprise if he wasn’t traded. Those eyeballs are to be expected. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

4. Drafting Edey isn’t a real option. I like Edey and think he would provide value in a trade down with the added assets, but the Hawks aren’t going to do this so there’s no reason to even entertain this idea. 

Do not be so sure. If they take Risacher at 1, they can trade back in to get Edey if he falls.

If they trade down, he is one of multiple centers they would consider at the 2nd pick slot.

• Like 3

Just now, thecampster said:

Do not be so sure. If they take Risacher at 1, they can trade back in to get Edey if he falls.

If they trade down, he is one of multiple centers they would consider at the 2nd pick slot.

Is this something you just personally think would be possible, or is there any intel coming from your sauces (KG sic) to make you say this? 
I have heard zero connection/interest from the Hawks wrt Edey and have only heard the opposite in that they aren’t considering him at all from @Mikey

1 minute ago, bird_dirt said:

Is this something you just personally think would be possible, or is there any intel coming from your sauces (KG sic) to make you say this? 
I have heard zero connection/interest from the Hawks wrt Edey and have only heard the opposite in that they aren’t considering him at all from @Mikey

Contingency boards. I wouldn't have wasted all the print I have been if he wasn't on their contingency boards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1