• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't see the point in trading down from #1 to #4 and miss on the guy you are targeting, and now having to select 'best available' from who's left on the board.

You have the #1 pick, get the guy you WANT, not the guy you have to 'settle' for.

That's just not logical.

@JayBirdHawk

It's akin to a flowchart; one must consider all possible scenarios when drafting or working. For instance, if you trade Murray, Clint, or Trae, you need to have a strategy for the aftermath. Even if we don't acquire Clingan, planning for that eventuality is crucial. It's similar to the strategic moves in Shaolin Shadowboxing.

d0a72d5b4a7d21fccf333c88b896b3d3.gif

via GIPHY | Kung fu movies, Kung fu, Giphy

Edited by NekiEcko
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is the expectation and even many very raw player get rotation minutes early in their career rather than g-league.  But I’m not hung up on it.  I expect us to have solid starters at every position next year and our pick to be at best a contributing role player when the season starts.  

But I’m sure not passing on a better player for one who is more ready but worse.  My comparison is JJ be Brandon Clarke.  He hit the ground running and was an immediate impact.  4 years later he is basically doing the same thing.  I’ll take JJ every time there and if we are in a cycle where we are waiting on our picks but they pan out so be it.  Bufkin might as well not have been on the roster last year but I don’t really care.  I care about his future.  That is my perspective for this pick as well.  Get me the best player in 3 years and I’ll trust Quin to bring him along in a way where he can contribute something along the way.

To me this post screams Sarr>Clingan but I’m not putting words in your mouth but you just described Brandon Clarke Clingan to JJ Sarr. I agree with the 3 year route.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

IF the Hawks do trade down, they must insist on being compensated not only for the perceived value in the transaction itself, but also for the risk they would be assuming of missing out on their preferred selection by trading down.  Even if it's only a couple of spots.  They should've demanded more in the 2018 trade down in imo.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yep...waiting to check in and play.

Screenshot_20240622_133646_Gallery.jpg

It expires July 7th.

You might want to explain how the exceptions work.

They allow you to ignore rules of the trade, but they still count vs the cap/LT.

With us right up against the second apron now, there is almost zero chance we use that TPE with clearing salary in a separate trade.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Case in point, it simply does not matter if the Hawks FEEL they will get who they want at #4.  If they are to trade, you HAVE to insist the Spurs compensate you for the risk you are assuming.

• Like 1

I’ll plant my flag that Hawks will do the most basic thing.. not the fantasies of larger market media members.

Draft Sarr at #1 and make no trades

Sign a bunch of scrub bench players and let the Matthew’s and Vit walk.

Pretty much how Landry has operated so far

All the external chatter is from large media wanting any move to be a farm team based move

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't see the point in trading down from #1 to #4 and miss on the guy you are targeting, and now having to select 'best available' from who's left on the board.

You have the #1 pick, get the guy you WANT, not the guy you have to 'settle' for.

That's just not logical.

Exactly..

also top 1-2 talent mostly hits.. why waste a chance at top end talent when the whole league operates on top end talent

blows my head

i swear some of the people on this board buy into the big market media dictating us to be a farm team

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

You might want to explain how the exceptions work.

They allow you to ignore rules of the trade, but they still count vs the cap/LT.

With us right up against the second apron now, there is almost zero chance we use that TPE with clearing salary in a separate trade.

1. We aren't required to use all $23 million of it. There are smaller trade possibilities. We can also now use the MLE to trade for a player

2. We can also create other smaller TPEs in separate trades if we are taking back less salary.

Here's an example with your favorite trade down of #1 for #4 and #8, with SAS also taking CC into their capspace creating a new $22 mil TPE and reducing payroll.  I'd also ask for their best 2nd round pick #35. That's how you leverage the #1 pick if you are taking the chance you miss out on your guy.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I’ll plant my flag that Hawks will do the most basic thing.. not the fantasies of larger market media members.

Draft Sarr at #1 and make no trades

Sign a bunch of scrub bench players and let the Matthew’s and Vit walk.

Pretty much how Landry has operated so far

All the external chatter is from large media wanting any move to be a farm team based move

I would be fine with that outcome but I don't have that much faith in Laundry. Well not the part about signing scrubs I wouldn't want that. I just don't want them taking Clingan without a trade back to grab additional assets. 

45 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. We aren't required to use all $23 million of it. There are smaller trade possibilities. We can also now use the MLE to trade for a player

2. We can also create other smaller TPEs in separate trades if we are taking back less salary.

Here's an example with your favorite trade down of #1 for #4 and #8, with SAS also taking CC into their capspace creating a new $22 mil TPE and reducing payroll.  I'd also ask for their best 2nd round pick #35. That's how you leverage the #1 pick if you are taking the chance you miss put on your guy.

Kind of???  If they waived all their cap holds and didn't guarantee their non-guaranteed contracts, they could almost absorb CC but would need to send back a little salary.  You'd get a TPE but you aren't spending our current TPE which is what I think he was saying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NekiEcko said:

@JayBirdHawk

It's akin to a flowchart; one must consider all possible scenarios when drafting or working. For instance, if you trade Murray, Clint, or Trae, you need to have a strategy for the aftermath. Even if we don't acquire Clingan, planning for that eventuality is crucial. It's similar to the strategic moves in Shaolin Shadowboxing.

d0a72d5b4a7d21fccf333c88b896b3d3.gif

via GIPHY | Kung fu movies, Kung fu, Giphy

Anyone using A shaw brothers gif...makes the cut.  Simply golden.  Conversely, the Hawks are going the vanilla route.  I can feel it.  

• Haha 1