• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

Three reasons which are his main qualities:

Shooting: he's not a James Harden/Trae guy that dribbles forever and takes a 30 foot step back. He CAN do that but he's just as good as catching and shooting it. His shooting is ****ing ungodly. He can shoot it from anywhere in any way you can shoot. He can attack the basket. He can cut. He's not afraid of contact.

Defense: he is a good defender. He had the best max vertical in the entire combine. He showed in spades with his blocks he can just jump up and contest people's shots. His hands are elite. Watch his defense. He's constantly getting steals, deflections, blocks, tips...his hands are ALIVE and active.

Basketball IQ: This is where the Mark Price comparison really comes through. Price's basketball IQ on both sides of the ball was through the roof. Reed has that. He is usually one or two steps ahead of the opponent in where the ball is going and where the play is developing. You can't fake that.

You take those three and add that to Trae and yes, I'm not worried about them being short.

And that's why I believe he is on the top of the spurs BB and they are sending out false hype for Risacher. They can just have a draft of Reed and Salaun and come out big winners

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Love Reed too, but you have to trade Trae if you take him.  That backcourt won't work.  I think he could work with Murray though. 

At his size Reed needs to be paired with a tall backcourt mate IMO unless we really beef up our frontcourt.

I don’t.  Still too small.

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

ps I was pps Reed will be a good pro 6th man but not for us I think.

This is what I think.

I tend to think a vote for Reed is a vote for a tear-down, but I've said too much....

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I don’t believe in Reed at all as a defender of 2s.  His 6’3’’ wingspan combined with his ok but not great speed is the problem.  He does have great hands and is smart but a vertical doesn’t make up for his size especially when he doesn’t have the speed to dominate bigger wings.

Trae and Reed will be two subpar defenders and we’ve already lived through that enough to know it doesn’t work.  Reed will have a good career but he needs to defend smaller guards to reach his potential on that end.  I’m also not as convinced as some that he will become a volume scorer in the NBA (and maintain his amazing efficiency if he does).  He was 7th on UK in shots per minute.  This is partly where his amazing efficiency comes from.  He took good shots and didn’t force it or do a lot of breaking guys down.

Voice of reason.  What are we gonna do when you're gone, AH?  But I've said too much...

(Oh, I'm just kidding.  AH isnt going anywhere because ..... :alien:

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2024 at 4:04 PM, thecampster said:

Checking out for the day but expect rumors about Jun 26th to start dropping this weekend.  You should know by Sunday night if we're trading the pick or not and some teams will start to be name dropped with our 4 big salary targets with legit rumored trade configurations.

One the most important comments in this whole thread so far in my opinion!…

well it’s Sunday folks , can't wait until tonight! ….i really want to know who these 4 big salary targets are!

Which of you insiders ( @thecampster , @Sothron , @NBASupes, @Mikey) can SAFELY spill beans 🙃?

On 6/21/2024 at 11:59 AM, BangHolman said:

Right now, I believe it's Risacher at #1 to be held hostage for a trade down for Clingan. I think the FO is ok holding onto Zacc if the chips don't fall right, so it's the move they'll make.

I have a feeling this is the move the hawks will do as well ….but it’s not the player they most covet. I believe the FO #1 player is Clingan but will settle for Risacher in hope of holding him hostage for Clingan , which I’m not really a fan of cause that move can go south and we really need our center.

4 minutes ago, JTB said:

well it’s Sunday folks , can't wait until tonight! ….i really want to know who these 4 big salary targets are!

Which of you insiders ( @thecampster , @Sothron , @NBASupes, @Mikey) can SAFELY spill beans 🙃?

I have a feeling this is the move the hawks will do as well ….but it’s not the player they most covet. I believe the FO #1 player is Clingan but will settle for Risacher in hope of holding him hostage for Clingan , which I’m not really a fan of cause that move can go south and we really need our center.

I think that if the intelligence isn’t there that they can definitely get Clingan at 4, they just take him at 1.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I want Reed as well, get Edey later if you want a big. Is Clingan worth #1? That just feels like a reach. 

I’ve kind of been here on Clingan. I don’t think he’s that much better than Edey, if at all.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JTB said:

You might be waiting till draft day. No movement on the trade down talks with SA/Det/Portland or Memphis.  Clint talks have cooled a bit but might pick up any time.  DH is a hard move right now as teams aren't thrilled with his salary. Its not egregious but maybe 15-20% overpriced.  Lakers waiver between desperate and bleh on DJM. They have a split front office on how best to appease Bron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think it'll be a very quiet Sunday.

Look for fireworks starting Tuesday. Just my guess.

Yes. Loose lips sink ships. The fact no one knows what we are going to do is a good thing. Keep 'em guessing right up until the witching hour. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yes. Loose lips sink ships. The fact no one knows what we are going to do is a good thing. Keep 'em guessing right up until the witching hour. 

As long as the Hawks know exactly what their plan is and execute it. They'll pick who they pick, trade who they trade and move on to the next thing. 

My only question/concern remaining is who has the final say with whomever we pick/trade:

Is it Quin?

Is it Landy?

Is it Tony/Nicky?

It's a defining moment this offseason and beyond.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's a defining moment this offseason and beyond.

Feels like this has already been said each of the last two off-seasons regarding Tony/Nicky. 

Unfortunately, we've been in the beyond for quite some time now and everyone sees us that way. 

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My only question/concern remaining is who has the final say with whomever we pick/trade:

Hmmm... thought that one had been answered to your satisfaction given what I'd read. In fact, you've been head skeptic for years now, no? It's your pioneering intuition, later substantiated by words and behaviors that came to light over time, that got us here.

So, here's how one should think about it, imo...

Dog owners, ya know how you'll be walking your dog, and you kinda let him lead the way for the most part, and wander wherever he would like on the way to wherever you had in-mind to walk that day... until, that is, you don't like that he's going into a neighbor's yard where they're easily incensed by him peeing on their plants, so you gently tug a little, and the dog responds, readily recognizing his master doesn't want to go there... or if you see another dog approaching that makes you nervous, he might take total interest but you firmly pull back to ensure he knows the boundary and that you're in charge?

Yeah. It's pretty much like that.

• Premium Member

Which trade would you prefer?

Rockets:

DJ, AJ, CC for #3, Cam Whitmore, Jalen Green, Steven Adams

Spurs

DJ for #4, Keldon Johnson, 2025 Hawks pick back.

Add remove players as needed for salary matching or other options.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Agreed. I think post draft it should be retired. New one started.

Then it should be audited and every really bad take (mine included) should be hung up like dirty laundry for everyone to look at.

The first 3 pages were 'interesting' if nothing else. 😐.

7 hours ago, Sothron said:

Three reasons which are his main qualities:

Shooting: he's not a James Harden/Trae guy that dribbles forever and takes a 30 foot step back. He CAN do that but he's just as good as catching and shooting it. His shooting is ****ing ungodly. He can shoot it from anywhere in any way you can shoot. He can attack the basket. He can cut. He's not afraid of contact.

Defense: he is a good defender. He had the best max vertical in the entire combine. He showed in spades with his blocks he can just jump up and contest people's shots. His hands are elite. Watch his defense. He's constantly getting steals, deflections, blocks, tips...his hands are ALIVE and active.

Basketball IQ: This is where the Mark Price comparison really comes through. Price's basketball IQ on both sides of the ball was through the roof. Reed has that. He is usually one or two steps ahead of the opponent in where the ball is going and where the play is developing. You can't fake that.

You take those three and add that to Trae and yes, I'm not worried about them being short.

I look for 2 key phrases in draft profiles of guards and wings: “above average/ willing/ versatile defender” and “above average/ smart/ sneaky good passer.”  With experience I can expect this player to draw contact, rebound, screen, and cut average or better for their position, thus being very unselfish. A lot of these things you don’t need skill and talent for.  Just want-to and feel.  

Like @AHF tho I have to question his length.  Ideally you want guards who can defend 1 & 2 (see Boston) outside of a few tough matchups.  

What’s the scouting report on Reed’s finishing ability?

Despite his outstanding metrics and college career I’m out on Clingan.  A defensive paint savant is cool but on a balanced team you want a much more polished dribble/pass/shoot game from your starting C (see Celtics again).  I’m quite tired of seeing Clint add no diversity or dynamism to the offense outside of screening and offensive boarding.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Or it means we don't even know what TF we're doing.  Based on history, which option fits us best?

• Haha 1