• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

But if you trade them away for "picks", the team they go to gets instantly better.  Their win total goes up and their picks for the foreseeable future will most probably be in the 20's.  So is Murray worth 3 picks at 22?, is Trae?

In this scenario, no team has the money to absorb Trae's $40 mil into their cap so his would be who you'd send to the Pels for Ingram. This sends Murray somewhere like SA who can absorb most of his salary.  You might get your own picks back which would be good because you'll be picking in the lottery but in this scenario, you are a solid 15 win team max for 3 years.

Can you do that?  Can you stomach 3 years of 15 wins per year? Asking for a bunch of friends on a message board.

I'll take retooling and trying to fix this treadmill any day of the week.

6 minutes ago, Afro said:

Started from the bottom

hairhat.jpg

Now we here: :afro:

I always wondered why we didn’t use both picks to trade up and still grab Giannis.  I think someone would have traded back 5-6 spots for an extra 1st.

• Thanks 2

I’m good with us taking Sarr!

we just need to keep capela or trade him for a bigger center.

i just want to walk away with Sarr, Clingan, or Edey….chances are Edey isn’t in the conversation so it’s Sarr or Clingan for me.

Just now, ShayD said:

Risacher is a role player, do not take him at 1.

I think he’s another Hunter. That pick scares me!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

People scoff but there's truth here.  These outlets are in bed with gambling for rea$on$$$.

Do folks think only players are cookin' stats?

Yeah Shams did it pretty blatantly last year. 

I can see how my posts on the matter seem snarky, but I don't mean for them to be lol. 95% of the guys we "trust" are reporting on the exact same things their sponsors are taking bets on. I'm not at all the tin foil "BUT THE MEDIA" type, but this just is what it is. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

I always wondered why we didn’t use both picks to trade up and still grab Giannis.  I think someone would have traded back 5-6 spots for an extra 1st.

Ugh. Why would you have to bring this up lol. 

This place is good for info and laughs, but boy is it also a minefield for depression lol. Thanks Hawks.

Edited by Afro
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, JTB said:

I think he’s another Hunter. That pick scares me!

Yep. He is a Barnes/Hunter/Cam Johnson type. It's nice to have but not a franchise changing pick at 1.

18 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

We get it, Givony has no clue. Neither does the rest of the media. They are creating conclusions based on thin air.

Their job is to create content for their employers. If there is no actual source of information, they generate using chatgpt. lol

I wouldn't say he has no clue, teams around the league still think the Hawks will tank and trade both Trae and Murray. That said, Atlanta been extremely aggressive on the market for another star to pair with JJ, their 1st, and Trae. Thing is. They literally could end up trading everything, no one is clear right now. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ShayD said:

Yep. He is a Barnes/Hunter/Cam Johnson type. It's nice to have but not a franchise changing pick at 1.

He didn't test all that well athletically either. Of course neither did Kevin Durant. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I wouldn't say he has no clue, teams around the league still think the Hawks will tank and trade both Trae and Murray. That said, Atlanta been extremely aggressive on the market for another star to pair with JJ, their 1st, and Trae. Thing is. They literally could end up trading everything, no one is clear right now. 

I have to nitpick this.  Do they think Atlanta "will" do this or do they think they "should"?

I can see other teams thinking they should but it's also clear a lot of folks 'in the know' aren't keenly aware of our pick situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

(4) 10 Critical Questions as the NBA Draft Approaches (nbabigboard.com)

1. Is Zaccharie Risacher’s Skill Set Suitable for a Top Overall Draft Pick?

If Zaccharie Risacher is indeed the No. 1 pick in Wednesday’s draft, would he be the first wing selected as the top overall pick with limitations in ball handling, shot creation, and finishing at the rim?

The closest comparison in the last 40 years is Andrew Wiggins in 2014. While Wiggins may have lacked high-level offensive creativity off the dribble when he entered the league, he compensated with his length and elite explosiveness. Risacher, though a good athlete, isn't an outlier in that regard. However, he is a better shooter than Wiggins was at the same age and projects as a versatile defender and complementary floor spacer.

But are those the qualities you seek in a No. 1 pick? Or is this more indicative of the 2024 NBA draft class?

3. Which is the real Alex Sarr? The one we saw at the 2023 FIBA U19s, the G League Fall Invitational, or somewhere in between?

I’ve always been a fan of Sarr’s talent, ever since I first saw him in 2021 at the FIBA U16s where he showcased a rare blend of size, athleticism, skill, and enormous potential. However, his production and talent have often been inconsistent, with strong showings frequently mixed with subpar and uninspired performances. While Sarr was one of the better players in OTE, he never truly dominated or looked like a future No. 1 pick. Last summer at the FIBA U19 World Championships, Sarr averaged a modest 7.4 points, 5.9 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 1.6 steals per game.

In October at the G League Fall Invitational, Sarr addressed my questions and concerns by playing with a level of confidence, intensity, and competitive fire that I had never seen from him before. In one sequence, he rejected an Ignite shot into the crowd and barked at his opponents, sending a clear message that the paint was his territory—something previously out of character for the typically mild-mannered Sarr.

In two exhibition games, Sarr transformed his reputation and established himself as a legitimate candidate for the top pick in 2024, averaging 21.5 points on 59% shooting, along with 8.5 rebounds and an impressive 6 blocks per contest.

Sarr looked like an elite defender, especially with his ability to defend in space, highlighted by a possession where he bottled up and smothered the lightning-quick Ron Holland, who couldn't shake free from the Frenchman in isolation.

Sarr maintained his standing as a potential top pick over the course of the season but never replicated his brilliant performances against the Ignite in Australia’s NBL. The Ignite team went on to lose 30 of their 32 games in the G-League season, which only makes me wonder if what we saw last fall were two outlier games against an overmatched young team.

4. Is Donovan Clingan Ready to Expand His Game Beyond the Paint?

There have been rumblings over the past year that Donovan Clingan possesses more shooting range than he's shown during his two seasons at UConn. Despite having made 3-pointers in high school, Clingan has only made three shots outside the paint in his college career, with most of his scoring coming from hooks, dunks, and layups in the paint.

However, his performance at the 2024 NBA combine suggests he may have more to offer beyond scoring at the rim. Clingan ranked among the top big men in shooting on the move, making 19 of 30 three-pointers in the 3-point moving drill, and shooting 14-for-25 in the Spot-Up Shooting drill. Additionally, he hit 10 of 25 in the 3-Point Star Drill, finishing behind Tyler Smith, Alex Sarr, and Zach Edey.

Despite this impressive display, Clingan's free throw percentage over 74 college games stands at just 55.8%, raising questions about whether his shooting improvements will translate to actual game situations. Only time will tell if these advancements are real and sustainable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Um, yeah he has no clue. Nobody knows what the Hawks will actually do.. Hell, I could make a rumor blog and throw some 'ish at the wall and get some clicks.

HAWKS SHOPPING DJM TO PELICANS, LAKERS, JAZZ

HAWKS EYING RISACHER OR SARR AT #1

next day: HAWKS WORKING OUT CLINGAN AND REED, POTENTIAL #1 PICKS

HAWKS LOOKING AT CHANGES TO ASSISTANT COACHING

HAWKS LOOKING AT OPTIONS TO TRADE #1 TO ACQUIRE FUTURE DRAFT CAPITAL

You ready to see my blog?

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He didn't test all that well athletically either. Of course neither did Kevin Durant. 

Hmm, I'm in a nitpicky mood I guess.

Did KD not test well overall or did he just fail the bench press?  I think it was mainly the latter.  Plus KD had generational college production so it's not exactly the same scenario as Rissacher. 

30 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

We get it, Givony has no clue. Neither does the rest of the media. They are creating conclusions based on thin air.

Their job is to create content for their employers. If there is no actual source of information, they generate using chatgpt. lol

I guess the sourced part is that NBA teams say the Hawks  are willing to take Sarr at number one.  The speculation is to force the Wizards to move up. 

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Hmm, I'm in a nitpicky mood I guess.

Did KD not test well overall or did he just fail the bench press?  I think it was mainly the latter.  Plus KD had generational college production so it's not exactly the same scenario as Rissacher. 

Not just the bench press, his 3/4 court sprint was terrible as well. But obviously he was great player, so his combine numbers weren't important. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1