• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

9 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Well, OO and Hunter are good defenders but is not working.... no, you really need an elite guard defender to protect Trae and a Paint protector or an elite offensive Center. Those are really expensive players. Name Players that fit Trae and are available....

I only can think on De Anthony Melton and Andre Drummond, starting those 2 IS a reach in my opinión.

Non-Centers

Melton
Delon Wright
Herb Jones (tough to get, but could be had in right deal)
DFS
Cam Johnson
Matisse Thybulle
Marcus Smart (not sure how much Grizz want to trade him)

Those are just a few guys that I come up with off the cuff.  They're all making less than Hunter.  Hunter isn't a bad fit next to Trae even if you have the right other complimentary pieces. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Problem with Sarr is he doesn't fit with JJ, who is the only player we're dead set on keeping around (apparently).  JJ has hit some WIDE OPEN threes which is good and promising but having two wings out there that cannot reliably knock down threes is not a great formula.  Not to mention we also do not currently have a center that can reliably make threes that are not WIDE OPEN.  I'm just not sold on Sarr yet although I do love his defense.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, ShooterSays said:

Let’s do it.

image.gif

If were being honest Sarr is a Ressy type of pick as well anyways.  If you live in Atlanta or Georgia in general and listen to the sports radio shows or like me work in a sporting goods store for a living.  You literally hear everyone in georgia asking for Sarr which means thats the biggest money attraction you can get in this draft.  Thats how you speak to ressy is put dollars in his pockets and sarr atleast right away does that better than anyone based on the narrative around the state.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Problem with Sarr is he doesn't fit with JJ, who is the only player we're dead set on keeping around (apparently).  JJ has hit some WIDE OPEN threes which is good and promising but having two wings out there that cannot reliably knock down threes is not a great formula.  Not to mention we also do not currently have a center that can reliably make threes that are not WIDE OPEN.  I'm just not sold on Sarr yet although I do love his defense.  

JJ will never be worth more than he is right now.  Not a believer that he has any more growth in him.  Would be open to trading him to get back a center (Clingan, etc) or a big move for a killer SF.

• Confused 5

19 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

As I said we were a 40 win team without Trae this season.

The Hawks were 14-14 without Trae this season and are 27-33 for his career in games without him.  Just because they were .500 for roughly a month doesn't mean they would've gone 41-41 if he missed the entire year.  DJ went on an absolute tear (despite inefficient shooting which Trae gets crucified over might I add) scoring wise for a few weeks that did propel that, but he's never shown the ability to be that player over an entire season, especially for a good team.  I agree with you that DJ's contract is significant value, but he has played on a team without Trae and they were not a good team despite his good stats.  Trae took a team w/o DJ to the ECF. 

Edited by Dragitoff

1 minute ago, gurpilo said:

No, it's not, stats say that and 28 games IS not a small sample

Yes, it is, particularly when you are playing teams that don't have anything to play for and basing that decision on those games.  

Like I said earlier.  You Trae haters are going to have to learn the hard way, and the hard way is trading him and watching this team flounder because they no longer have his gravity and ability to make everyone around him much more efficient.  Instead, we will have DJM and his desire to shoot mid-range jumpers that stifle the flow of the offense.  

hace 1 minuto, Dragitoff dijo:

Non-Centers

Melton
Delon Wright
Herb Jones (tough to get, but could be had in right deal)
DFS
Cam Johnson
Matisse Thybulle
Marcus Smart (not sure how much Grizz want to trade him)

Those are just a few guys that I come up with off the cuff.  They're all making less than Hunter.  Hunter isn't a bad fit next to Trae even if you have the right other complimentary pieces. 

Cam Johnson is making more than Hunter and is not a great defender, he is a good shooter through. He is not available.

Smart and Herb Jones are not available. We Hope they would be but are not.

Delon Wright and Thybulle are not starters in this league, at least on a playoffs team.

DFS cannot guard a guard

As I said Melton is the only option I see.

5 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Cam Johnson is making more than Hunter and is not a great defender, he is a good shooter through. He is not available.

Smart and Herb Jones are not available. We Hope they would be but are not.

Delon Wright and Thybulle are not starters in this league, at least on a playoffs team.

DFS cannot guard a guard

As I said Melton is the only option I see.

You have your opinions and I have mine.  We'll have to agree to disagree. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I'm open to many prospects, and I believe Sarrs fit is not as bad as many think it will be. The team spent alot of the season playing a combo of Bey and JJ. Bey shot 31% from 3, cannot dribble cannot play defense. I believe they win more games if he was even average on defense. I would think Sarr and Bey are comparable in ball handling, passing, rebounding but Sarr clears him on defensive versatility at the 3/4 and 5

• Like 2

hace 1 minuto, KB21 dijo:

Yes, it is, particularly when you are playing teams that don't have anything to play for and basing that decision on those games.  

Like I said earlier.  You Trae haters are going to have to learn the hard way, and the hard way is trading him and watching this team flounder because they no longer have his gravity and ability to make everyone around him much more efficient.  Instead, we will have DJM and his desire to shoot mid-range jumpers that stifle the flow of the offense.  

Let me speak for myself Who I hate and Who I don't hate. I just look at numbers and the way they play, no hate on Trae, but I truly believe is imposible to win a ring with him and numbers say that.

DJM provided really good numbers because Trae was not on the floor shooting long 3s. You seem to forget we were with a lot if injuries even starting Vit Krejci and even with that we won 50% of the games and Trae was not playing. Add Sarr, Clingan and Knetch to that team and Trae salary on a wing star and you have a really good team.

34 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

We were 40 win team without Trae and we would have a better roster.... How can we go to 15 wins team?

Bingo.  The Hawks didn't miss a beat without Trae toward the end of the season.  In fact, their major ratings got better:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matissa/2024/04/03/are-the-atlanta-hawks-better-without-trae-young/?sh=491a89ab6373

With Young injured, Atlanta is free to give more minutes to guys like Jalen Johnson, De’Andre Hunter, Vit Krejci, and Garrison Matthews — all players who can score off-ball, are bigger than Young, and defend better than him.

Plus, since they have Bogdan Bogdanovic — a gifted two-level scorer with some underrated passing chops — Atlanta still has a sound secondary creator/backup point guard to flank Murray (or fill in when he’s taking a breather).

That’s why, despite losing their best player, the Hawks have improved in offense, defense, and overall net rating.

image.png.fef9b6b34aa7df33f9d9b8e45edd0300.png

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Been told Hawks just taking Sarr and keeping him is a building voice in the Hawks FO.

Man that’s great! I hope it’s true and we are keeping Trae.