• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

17 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

🤷‍♂️

Antonio Reeves and DJ Wagner were their starting guards. Reed and Dillingham came off the bench. 

Reeves would be a terrific UDFA signing for the bench. 

I didn't need another reason to be out in Reed but you just gave me one.

Terrence Ross 2.0 only smaller.  Yay? 

24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I fail to see how Sarr isn’t a fit alongside JJ but Clingan is?

Clingan wants to be in the paint, sarr wants to be on the perimeter.

Sarr doesn't want to be a center, nor does he have the skill for it

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I didn't need another reason to be out in Reed but you just gave me one.

Terrence Ross 2.0 only smaller.  Yay? 

He’ll be a good player but yeah, like @AHF said, temper expectations. I think folks just look at his numbers without having watched many games to see when and how he got those numbers. His floor will still be solid player for years. 

Cal probably should have been starting him instead of DJ halfway through the season, but who knows what went into his decision making process. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

Clingan wants to be in the paint, sarr wants to be on the perimeter.

Sarr doesn't want to be a center, nor does he have the skill for it

Where do Wemby and Chet play?   In the paint or on the perimeter?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I fail to see how Sarr isn’t a fit alongside JJ but Clingan is?

Because Sarr doesnt want to be a C and lacks the skill set to be a C.  He cannot rebound to save his life, hes scared of contact, cant screen, etc.  Some of that is teachable but he doesnt want to play that position so I question his willingness to embrace the center role.  And JJ doesnt shoot well enough to play SF— I dont see the fit.  Clingan is at least a C and you can get good shooting from 1-3 plus JJ situationally.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

He’ll be a good player but yeah, like @AHF said, temper expectations. I think folks just look at his numbers without having watched many games to see when and how he got those numbers. His floor will still be solid player for years. 

Cal probably should have been starting him instead of DJ halfway through the season, but who knows what went into his decision making process. 

Appreciate the perspective you and AH have, having watched both the good and bad of this particular prospect.

I think he'll be fine but he'll end up more of a bench type guy.  Some folks are definitely seeing the numbers and getting stuck there.

As is the case with all these dudes, if he becomes a Hawk I'll be their biggest fan.  I was a big fan of his dad back in the day.  Former Hawk, iirc. 

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Im actually starting to feel like Risacher might be the best pick for us.

Oh no, they got jeffe too.  Come back to us, jeffe.  Don't go into the light.   That's a train, not the end of the tunnel, bro! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Where do Wemby and Chet play?   In the paint or on the perimeter?

You can expect to be bottom of the league in rebounding with sarr and Jalen Johnson starting in the frontcourt.

It's not only that sarr does t want to, he can't.

There is a reason OKC is looking for an interior presence. 

2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Because Sarr doesnt want to be a C and lacks the skill set to be a C.  He cannot rebound to save his life, hes scared of contact, cant screen, etc.  Some of that is teachable but he doesnt want to play that position so I question his willingness to embrace the center role.  And JJ doesnt shoot well enough to play SF— I dont see the fit.  Clingan is at least a C and you can get good shooting from 1-3 plus JJ situationally.

Clingan can’t space the floor at all with his shot.  Defenders will sag off him and leave him open on the perimeter.  That will take away cutting lanes for JJ.  Your only hope is that he’s a high level enough passer that his passing pulls defenders out onto him.  

If the negative on Sarr is that he isn’t a traditional big, then that’s a positive for me.  

If they take Clingan, you better hope he’s more than just another traditional big.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I have always found it so intriguing how 2 people can see the same thing and come to 2 completely different outcomes and thoughts on things.  This is not a knock on you or me saying you are wrong more so how i always have loved how people just are so different in views in any sport and how they see things.   You are like the complete 180 of me and my thought and views on the situation and things.  To me JJ has alot of similar play style to Lebron and honestly has even been training with him at times so it makes sense the similarities are there.   His %'s honestly are similar this last year to Lebron's avg at SF as well for his career at 35 to 36% from 3 and like 56 to 60% from 2.   Their is only 1 lebron and i highly doubt JJ will ever be in that same breath as a whole career.  But as far as playstyle and game he's got that trajectory as a 3.    I honestly see JJ much better suited as a big 3 with handles, passing, shooting, and attacking.  Much better than i see him as a 4 that has to bang with bigger 4's and centers all the time. 

As for Saar i think his game is a long 4 that can out rebound most 4's and defend any position although not as much for bigger Centers just yet.  I feel his handles, quickness, athleticism and descent rebounding would transition well to the 4 at the next level.   Would love to put a true stretch 5 next to him though that has good shooting and rebounding.

Will never expect to convert you on my side of things and you would never be able to convert me to yours 🙂   But always love seeing things from someone elses point of views when they are so far different and off from each other. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Clingan can’t space the floor at all with his shot.  Defenders will sag off him and leave him open on the perimeter.  That will take away cutting lanes for JJ.  Your only hope is that he’s a high level enough passer that his passing pulls defenders out onto him.  

If the negative on Sarr is that he isn’t a traditional big, then that’s a positive for me.  

If they take Clingan, you better hope he’s more than just another traditional big.  

you have 100% nailed the main reason i don't want Clingan and why i have wanted to move on from Capela for awhile now.  I love Capela as a person and his rebounding has been good over the years.   But i have always though a stretch 5 or more athletic center would be much better with this team than Capela.  The spacing for me on traditional centers has always been a issue in a team with Trae and JJ as both of their games are big on going to the hole for points or kickouts.    True trae can shoot the 3 no problem but when he is at his absolute best is when his floater is working or he is attacking and then moving the ball out or having someone roll with him.    Not just sitting down low clogging he paint.    Thats why i wanted Kat or prayed for Onyeka to continue to move his game as a stretch 5 and be able to shoot the 3 and long range 2's well.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Im actually starting to feel like Risacher might be the best pick for us.

Why ? Is it because of Sarrs inability to be a knockdown shooter ?

4 minutes ago, JTB said:

Why ? Is it because of Sarrs inability to be a knockdown shooter ?

We all know Sarr will never be a good shooter.  Lmao.  So we take Clingan who hasn't proven he can shoot or an average across the board dude in Richasstrae.  We're screwed.

1 minute ago, Threezus said:

you have 100% nailed the main reason i don't want Clingan and why i have wanted to move on from Capela for awhile now.  I love Capela as a person and his rebounding has been good over the years.   But i have always though a stretch 5 or more athletic center would be much better with this team than Capela.  The spacing for me on traditional centers has always been an issue in a team with Trae and JJ as both of their games are big on going to the hole for points or kickouts.    True trae can shoot the 3 no problem but when he is at his absolute best is when his floater is working or he is attacking and then moving the ball out or having someone roll with him.    Not just sitting down low clogging he paint.    Thats why i wanted Kat or prayed for Onyeka to continue to move his game as a stretch 5 and be able to shoot the 3 and long range 2's well.

I like Sarr, Clingan, Risacher for various reasons. But all of them have flaws. The question is which has flaws that can be covered up easier based on our roster?

Also their impact strongly depends on their matchup. In todays league you need both type of centers so we either need to keep Capela or OO regardless who we draft.

if you draft sarr and force him at center he’s going to be pissed since he’s already made it known he doesn’t want to play center.

• Like 2

Just now, deester11 said:

We all know Sarr will never be a good shooter.  Lmao.  So we take Clingan who hasn't proven he can shoot or an average across the board dude in Richasstrae.  We're screwed.

But you don’t draft Sarr for his shooting. You draft Sarr for his defense.

Sarr would be a great pick if we knew what the plan was and how the roster would be built.

personally if we take Sarr or Risacher I want a trade of either Butler, PG, or Ingram. I think we need that vet wing presence to help one of them.

• Like 1