• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

4 minutes ago, txsting said:

Probably nobody, but you could acquire one on the back side of his career who can provide that punch.  Much like we did once upon a time with Millsap.  That is - if you have everything else you need to take a swing at really competing.

I'd have to look at who that could potentially be.  There's a reason the Hawks want Herb Jones and a reason the Pelicans will not trade him.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Sure is more fun being an observer to all this... just taking it in like one would a movie, contemplating the human condition and specifically how people envision an applied form of social engineering. 🙂

This 2024 draft, from what I can tell without having done any real deep dive, would have the June 2023 version of me hitting new levels of frustration because there's no totally satisfactory answer just looking at the options in play. Repeating, I'm sure, what's been said a lot, this is a draft that a contender should be trading up into the top 5 to get their complementary piece that makes them serious contenders in the coming seasons... not a draft that appears to feature a candidate for becoming one of a middling-or-lesser team's key 3 during his rookie contract (... maybe later).

That's a pretty fair assessment of this draft. All role players, no stars.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

If it's me, I take Sarr anyway.  Worst case, you hold him hostage til WAS or whoever else ups the ante.  

Same idea, different execution... maybe...

I'd try to assess what team appears to be most persuaded that one of these guys is overwhelmingly pivotal to their immediate future hopes, and if they won't make a deal ahead of the draft, yes, draft their guy anyway. You're not going to be especially better or worse, imo... and maybe during the draft their GM feels nervous enough to call you back, and deliver a goody bag of something exciting.

Maybe that's Washington, but I'd think it's more probably a team that considers itself at Everest Camp III or IV.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'd have to look at who that could potentially be.  There's a reason the Hawks want Herb Jones and a reason the Pelicans will not trade him.  

He's on such a good contract and is one of the league's best perimeter defenders.  Every team wants that.  Question is are they better with:

DJM/McCollum/Murphy/Zion/OO  or keeping him? 

We have the PG and Center they want.  They have the wing defender we want and another asset they're trying to get rid of (Ingram).  Do we take on Ingram even if it's a questionable fit to get Jones?  What other assets, if any, do we have to include to get them to relent and trade Jones? 

To be fair, if you get Herb Jones and still have #1, you have to go Clingan or Sarr right? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dragitoff said:

He's on such a good contract and is one of the league's best perimeter defenders.  Every team wants that.  Question is are they better with:

We have the PG and Center they want.  They have the wing defender we want and another asset they're trying to get rid of (Ingram).  Do we take on Ingram even if it's a questionable fit to get Jones?  What other assets, if any, do we have to include to get them to relent and trade Jones? 

To be fair, if you get Herb Jones and still have #1, you have to go Clingan or Sarr right? 

I would only route Ingram to another team.  He absolutely does not fit on the Hawks.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dragitoff said:

I would think they would want Hunter - take a little trade down at SF in order to fill the other holes.  On our side, we have too much mid-level talent and need to simply come out with the one best player in the deal.  Could work for both?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, txsting said:

You say that now, but history says that won't prove to be true.

More than likely, we probably aren't even discussing the star of this draft between Sarr, Clingan, and Risacher. It'll be someone later like when Giannis and Jokic were picked late in a bad draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BangHolman said:

More than likely, we probably aren't even discussing the star of this draft between Sarr, Clingan, and Risacher. It'll be someone later like when Giannis and Jokic were picked late in a bad draft.

Yeah, like Edey.  The new Yao Ming.

1 minute ago, ShooterSays said:

The Lakers remain uninterested in trading Austin Reaves for Dejounte Murray, per @sam_amick 

“Murray, meanwhile, was a player that the Lakers could have had at the February trade deadline if they’d been willing to put Reaves into the deal. He’s a possibility now, as well, but league sources say the Lakers’ stance on Reaves remains the same.”

Classic case of overvaluing your own guy.  Reaves, just a guy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ShooterSays said:

The Lakers remain uninterested in trading Austin Reaves for Dejounte Murray, per @sam_amick 

“Murray, meanwhile, was a player that the Lakers could have had at the February trade deadline if they’d been willing to put Reaves into the deal. He’s a possibility now, as well, but league sources say the Lakers’ stance on Reaves remains the same.”

"Here lies, kg.  He read a tweet and laughed himself into an aneurysm.  As per his last request, the funeral shall be held at Magic City.  Be sure to tip well.  Rest in Power, soldier." 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

True.  You wouldn't take him in the top 2 tho. 

I wouldn't take Childress in the top 2 of any class even this one but I would take Risacher in this one. He's a lot more projectable. He's an off ball player. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1