• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Nothing has changed. I could care less what the Hawks say. You draft Star and if Washington wants him, you make them make a huge offer.

Fr, and the 26th pick in this draft is not some huge boon either unless they have plans to package it for something, which I assume they would cause of contingencies and what not 😛 

What would an acceptable trade with Washington look like?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

You never know which itches scratch you, grasshoppah. 

Right?!

It's not mandatory to even do the interview.  If you don't know how to lie around that, don't do the interview.

It's like his default setting is to say whatever absolutely kills any leverage he has. 

I’m confused. Wasn’t it already public knowledge that Sarr hadn’t worked out for us?

Kind of hard to side step that question when it’s already known. Otherwise it makes him look obstinate or worse, if he doesn’t pick him, it makes him look inept. Versus calling a spade, a spade, making a pick (or not), or letting Sarr’s team figure it out. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Afro said:

You are completely correct. But he didn't say that. He just confirmed that Sarr doesn't want to be the #1 pick and doesn't want to play here. 

Noone would ever confirm the reasons for it, but if you confirm that he doesnt want to play here, you kinda need to confirm the "why".

Because all this does is allow the aggregators to tee off on you today and write think pieces that fill in the "Why" gap he left. I will absolutely shocked if we don't get a "Sarr doesnt want to play with Trae" article by tonight lol. And as I went into yesterday, I think that kind of stuff makes a difference. 

I'd rather the talking heads say it than other GM's.  If he comes out and says Sarr doesn't want to play here because of the reasons I listed in my previous post, he kills any leverage with Washington or others that want Sarr with the #1 pick as ransom.  They can mutually not want him and him not want us, but you have to make Washington think there's a chance you take him anyway because you're enamored with the talent potential.  If it forces them to give us their other 1st round pick this year or something else of value, you've successfully leveraged what you deemed was a distressed asset.  Smoke and mirrors baby! 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, akay said:

Fr, and the 26th pick in this draft is not some huge boon either unless they have plans to package it for something, which I assume they would cause of contingencies and what not 😛 

What would an acceptable trade with Washington look like?

If we aren't going to draft Sarr anyway and we don't have other teams with better offers calling us, #2 and #26 is an acceptable return.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JustSomeGuy said:

I’m confused. Wasn’t it already public knowledge that Sarr hadn’t worked out for us?

Kind of hard to side step that question when it’s already known. Otherwise it makes him look obstinate or worse, if he doesn’t pick him, it makes him look inept. Versus calling a spade, a spade, making a pick (or not), or letting Sarr’s team figure it out. 

@AHF just laid out a pretty good alternate response.  Landry struggles with this consistently.  It's not just this one instance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

If we aren't going to draft Sarr anyway and we don't have other teams with better offers calling us, #2 and #26 is an acceptable return.

Only if have a plan in place for the 26th pick to flip it, no way we end up playing 2 rookies from this draft 🤷🏾‍♀️

5 minutes ago, akay said:

Only if have a plan in place for the 26th pick to flip it, no way we end up playing 2 rookies from this draft 🤷🏾‍♀️

If we walked away from this draft with Clingan or Risacher and another defensive stud like Ryan Dunn who needs offensive development, I would consider it a good draft.  Dunn could play right now if he was even remotely close on offense.  A guy like that in late 1st or even 2nd round could be a minimal investment that could turn out genius if his shot ever develops.  Worst case scenario he becomes Mario West 2.0.  Checks in the game strictly for defense and hustle. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

If we walked away from this draft with Clingan or Risacher and another defensive stud like Ryan Dunn who needs offensive development, I would consider it a good draft.  Dunn could play right now if he was even remotely close on offense.  A guy like that in late 1st or even 2nd round could be a minimal investment that could turn out genius if his shot ever develops.  Worst case scenario he becomes Mario West 2.0.  Checks in the game strictly for defense and hustle. 

Unless an insider says differently...the Hawks ain't leaving with those two..let alone Dunn. This is the Hawks. You'll accept Rissacha or nothing. It's already being sold to us.  Let's go! And ride this treadmill til the belt breaks!

Edited by deester11
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Dunn is an interesting gamble for me at that stage of the draft.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

I'd rather the talking heads say it than other GM's.  If he comes out and says Sarr doesn't want to play here because of the reasons I listed in my previous post, he kills any leverage with Washington or others that want Sarr with the #1 pick as ransom.  They can mutually not want him and him not want us, but you have to make Washington think there's a chance you take him anyway because you're enamored with the talent potential.  If it forces them to give us their other 1st round pick this year or something else of value, you've successfully leveraged what you deemed was a distressed asset.  Smoke and mirrors baby! 

I'm still not sure other GMs won't say it lol. But I get what you're saying. 

My problem isn't really with the draft. I don't think it changes the leverage there all that much. 

My overall problem is just perception, like KG says. I don't think our FO/ownership/team has a good reputation for a whole host of reasons. Some(a good bit) are completely self inflicted reasons. We all know what those are so we don't need to rehash them lol. 

I've already said it, but this team needs to be doing things that improve their perception. Not hurt it, like saying a top prospect flat out declined to be the #1 pick(unless you force him lol). This is definitely on the smaller side of epic blunders by this team, but IMO it still is one. Like AHF said, there are ways to spin this to make the Hawks look good, which is what everyone from the top down should be focusing on. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

Assets are assets bay-bay

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

True true, if we could get Dunn/Edey or someone interesting in a position of need it would be pretty cool. Tomorrow should be fun 😄

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Do any of you jokers work?

WFH is too good :sun:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Do any of you jokers work?

Tell these people to send me their records so I can get going.  Otherwise, I'm twiddlin' my thumbs.  Either way my time is money, babes.. 

🤓

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Afro said:

I'm still not sure other GMs won't say it lol. But I get what you're saying. 

My problem isn't really with the draft. I don't think it changes the leverage there all that much. 

My overall problem is just perception, like KG says. I don't think our FO/ownership/team has a good reputation for a whole host of reasons. Some(a good bit) are completely self inflicted reasons. We all know what those are so we don't need to rehash them lol. 

I've already said it, but this team needs to be doing things that improve their perception. Not hurt it, like saying a top prospect flat out declined to be the #1 pick(unless you force him lol). This is definitely on the smaller side of epic blunders by this team, but IMO it still is one. Like AHF said, there are ways to spin this to make the Hawks look good, which is what everyone from the top down should be focusing on. 

Totally get your point.  If Sarr's camp didn't provide any reason for declining the workout, or requested the Hawks not disclose the reasons, it could also be perceived as bad business to violate that and do it anyway.  His people would be hurting Sarr's image if it was publicly stated he refused to work out for the team holding the #1 pick because it would hurt his potential second contract due to inflated stats on a bad team rather than having to earn minutes on a better team.  As Andre Agassi used to tell us, "image is everything".  In my real estate business, I've had to make myself look bad in the short-term to avoid bashing someone that could ultimately cost me more than a single deal.  It's hard to do, but you have to think big picture.  I might be giving this FO entirely too much credit, but it's the first time I've felt like they really have the majority of the league truly in the dark about the draft, trades, and FA. 

• Thanks 1

No matter what happens with the #1 pick… the Hawks need to come out of this draft with Kel’el Ware. He is the PERFECT fit next to Trae, JJ, and OO. Can even play next to Starr. Who wouldn’t want a bigger, quicker big who has a better vertical leap than Jarrett Allen and has potential to space the floor like Myles Turner. If we can come out of this draft with Starr and Ware… it’ll be straight-up gold!

Edited by djjob23

• Premium Member
Just now, Dragitoff said:

it's the first time I've felt like they really have the majority of the league truly in the dark about the draft, trades, and FA.

Agreed, finally feels like the Hawks are playing the media game how we wanted them minus that DJ trade where Landry was blowing a bunch of smoke to everyone.

Now hopefully the smoke this time leads to bountiful gains for our team via good DJ/CC trade and making the right short-medium-long term pick in the draft.

It really is crazy how tomorrow is one of the most important days in Hawks history, but it's also just a Wednesday. Life is fun