• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

So, here's a dilemma I have.  I have soured on Sarr in the past week because I question his mentality and vision for his development.  One of my favorite players in this draft, who has been one of my favorites even when we were looking at the 10th pick, is Stephon Castle.  He wants to be a PG though, and I like him more as a wing who can defend 1-3.  He'd be the 2nd player on my board if it weren't for his insistence on being a PG.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

So, here's a dilemma I have.  I have soured on Sarr in the past week because I question his mentality and vision for his development.  One of my favorite players in this draft, who has been one of my favorites even when we were looking at the 10th pick, is Stephon Castle.  He wants to be a PG though, and I like him more as a wing who can defend 1-3.  He'd be the 2nd player on my board if it weren't for his insistence on being a PG.  

Eh, when it came to Sarr you didn't GAF that he didn't 'want' to play C.

Take Castle and put him in the guard rotation.  What TF else he gonna do but play?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

As time when on I saw more questions about Sarr and Clingan and Reed became clearer.

Risacher I'm still not even sure about.

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Scouts are saying he is more likely a bench combo guard. Not a starting pg.

Do you see him as a better prospect than scoot Henderson?

• Premium Member

I don't think we fully know what the Rockets are going to do at 3 and will likely just pick Clingan at #1 because of that.  I think Clingan is probably our guy.  I don't love the idea of being married to drop coverage but if we can retain OO on the roster, we should be flexible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Eh, when it came to Sarr you didn't GAF that he didn't 'want' to play C.

Take Castle and put him in the guard rotation.  What TF else he gonna do but play?

I fully get the Cam Reddish worries. 

But we're getting way too caught up about the desires of 19 year olds. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

Scouts are saying he is more likely a bench combo guard. Not a starting pg.

Do you see him as a better prospect than scoot Henderson?

I didn't really like Scoot all that much.  I think Stephon's 90th percentile outcome is an SGA type of player.  He's unlikely to reach that.  I think if he doesn't shoot, he could end up having a floor or Jarrett Culver.  So, I think his median outcome will likely be someone like Jalen Williams.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonzaii58 said:

Who cares where Sarr wants to go. If he’s the best prospect for our team we should pick him no questions asked. If we are serious about competing, things like this should not be a factor. If our target truly is Clingan - then so be it. But if we don’t pick Sarr just because of his silly agent then that’s the definition of crazy imo.

Whoever u sign u have for 9 years..we ha e all the control

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Just going by highlights, Clingan comes off as as a good role player. Maybe a Steven Adams sort of deal. I don't say that to be insulting because the NBA needs these players, but how much of an upgrade would he be other than size?

A big one considering players like Andre Drummond have single handedly destroyed us the last couple years. Our lack of perimeter defense plus lack of size are a significant issue. 

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Clingan's passing.  

I'm fine with Clingan

Sarr seems like a wuss... Let him go to the Wizards. The grass isn't any greener over there....😂

Edited by terrell
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, teflondonny said:

Thought I was the only one feeling that way.  Hawks are in a power position and still feel like we are at the mercy of the rest of the league 

Exactly. Might as well stayed at the bottom of the lottery.  All this whining about Sarr not wanting to come to Atlanta and the whole conversations around the scrubs they want to draft, and not controlling their destiny with other teams. Its mindboggling.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Thanks 1

Here's what has soured me on Alex Sarr.  Does he not care about developing his weaknesses?  I love the flashes of perimeter ability that he has shown.  Those perimeter flashes, if they become consistent, would really pop if he were a center.  His weaknesses are with doing the things centers typically do.  Does he not realize how good of a player he could be if he were to improve upon those weaknesses while also becoming more consistent with his flashes?  Does he not realize that if he's a four, then he's a lot farther away offensively than he would be if he plays the five?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I mean, the Hawks have one of, if not the best player development coach in the entire NBA in Quin Snyder.  And you are going to choose to go to Washington instead of developing your weaknesses in Atlanta?

Yep. His agent has obviously convinced him that he is Luka. He absolutely is not. 

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Update:

We are down to basically two choices:

Take Sarr and get the Wizards to move up to get him. Wizards want him badly. #1 for #2 and #26 or something like that in value. We would take Clingan at #2 or take Risacher for the below scenario.

Take Risacher and either keep him or flip him to the Spurs. This would be like the old Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler trade. The Bulls back then would only do that trade if Curry was there for them at #4 in that draft. When Atlanta...sigh...passed on Gasol by flipping him for SAR the Bulls got their guy and made the trade. If the Hawks had taken Curry or traded it to someone else that took Curry...the Bulls don't do the deal.

So in this case if Clingan is there at 4 the Spurs take him and we swap guys plus pick up our 2025 and 2027 firsts. 

In that scenario we turn Risacher into Clingan and our 2025 and 2027 unprotected firsts back. Spurs still have the pick swap in 2026.

If Clingan is gone...we just keep Risacher. 

This seems to be the current thinking of the FO. Again, this can change. Teams are upping their interest in #1, DJM, Capela and Hunter. I'm hearing teams are making pitches for AJ and Kobe as well.

Houston is the 

Wow.  It's a tough call.  No chance they will select Clingan #1?