• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Murray is an all-star PG locked up for the next 4 years on an extremely reasonable contract.  He should have similar value to Bridges to a team who is missing a PG (Orlando/NOP/Lakers/MIA/Wolves/Spurs) or even many non playoff teams.

While he made the All-Star team once, I think calling him an All-Star PG exaggerates his value.  He should not have similar value to Bridges to any team.  PGs are much easier to find than two-way wings.  It is the difference between running back and wide receivers in the NFL.  RBs just aren't valued as much.

DJM should have value, though, and clearly more value than Ingram.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

That’s how little faith I have in this Front Office. We are more likely to run it back with this same roster plus whatever draft pick we make than we are to use our assets to improve the roster.

We will continue to move players a season too late when their value is the lowest.

I don't think we will run it back because Trae demands out before that happens and his value takes a hit when he does. It will be a Dame situation.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Our history is full of what ifs.. 

Bill Russell  (drafted and traded)

David Thompson (drafted and went to ABA)

Dr. J  (signed and voided)

Arvydas Sabonis  (drafted and voided)

Nique Championship Run (traded when #1 seed in East with Jordan playing baseball)

Pau Gasol  (drafted and traded)

Dwight Howard  (one digit off in the lottery)

• Sad 5

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I agree, Ingram is past his prime.   I do believe that either Murray or Trae have to go, they cant co-exist.   The Hawks actually played good team ball and won some games with Trae out, just saying.  

The team is better with only one of them, and the team is better with Trae over Murray.

40 minutes ago, txsting said:

I don't think picks have the value people think they do.  I mean, Knicks first round picks are not going to be very good ones given the team they have assembled.  The whole lot of them might have the value of 2 lottery picks at best.  Or one #1 overall.  Obviously the Nets got a great return, but they have a lot of work to do to assemble a contender.  And I hear they want to throw all in to get Durant (again)?!?  What year do they think it is?

I think it was Houston looking to make a run at KD (now that the Nets have their picks back and can start their rebuild). Any season can turn on a dime (ex. injuries [Grizzlies last year], trade requests [KD with Nets], player fits [Hawks with DJM], free agency/salary cap, etc). When trading your team’s future picks, you better be ABSOLUTELY certain or else things can get ugly real quick. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

I don't think we will run it back because Trae demands out before that happens and his value takes a hit when he does. It will be a Dame situation.

Value doesn't go down because a player asks out... we just got evidence of that last night-- Mikal asked directly to go to the Knicks, no other teams had a chance to re-sign him, he told the Nets this, the Knicks also knew this, and the Knicks still gave up that massive pick haul...

I think people see trades like Dame and think he tanked his value, when the actual reason the Blazers received so few picks is because Dame's contract is horrendous.  Player value is primarily tied to two things: talent relative to contract, and how much of their archetype is available.  A third non-basketball value would be fan appeal / popularity that translates into ticket sales, etc. but that's not relevant for most guys (would be very relevant to Trae though).

“Keeping both guards” as was stated is a significantly worse offseason than “traded duplicate guard for guy we don’t love but fits roster better.”

We aren’t getting the haul the Knicks gave up for Bridges. Has nothing to do with talent vs talent and everything to do with how many assets one team had and were willing to pay for who they wanted.

We need to make decisive moves with a clear direction and stop kicking the can down the road for the same mediocre product.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABH said:

Draft one of the French players and call it a day..trade number 1 to wizards and get extra pick and take the other one..don't take clingman will be injured alot..hopefully they have another trade in the works..fingers crossed they don't screw it up but look at who we are..the Hawks 

Maybe get him if we can pick up another pick

"Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!  I hereby arrest and ticket you on behalf of the good citizens of Hawksquawk.  Who is clingman?

gomer-gomerpile.gif

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bill Russell  (drafted and traded)

David Thompson (drafted and went to ABA)

Dr. J  (signed and voided)

Arvydas Sabonis  (drafted and voided)

Nique Championship Run (traded when #1 seed in East with Jordan playing baseball)

Pau Gasol  (drafted and traded)

Dwight Howard  (one digit off in the lottery)

All true but also an inherently glass half empty lens.  There are a plethora of players we could have picked that would have made us materially worse in our history as well.  I think we've been pretty average in terms of draft picks in our history.  Recently, I think we've actually been a little better than average, with Cam being the only real blemish.

• Like 1

Brian Windhorst mentions Alperen Sengun’s looming contract extension and Houston’s strong performance after Sengun was injured last season as reasons why you might hear Sengun’s name on the market 

“If they hold that pick and they draft Donovan Clingan out of UConn, a center, it is an indication that they are willing to do business on Alperen Sengun, their very talented young big man, because Sengun is due a contract extension. The Rockets played very well last year after Sengun got hurt; they played Jabari Smith at center, their first-round draft pick from two years ago. And if they take Clingan, it’s like an indication to the market that they may be willing to move on from Sengun.”

Edited by ShooterSays
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

While he made the All-Star team once, I think calling him an All-Star PG exaggerates his value.  He should not have similar value to Bridges to any team.  PGs are much easier to find than two-way wings.  It is the difference between running back and wide receivers in the NFL.  RBs just aren't valued as much.

DJM should have value, though, and clearly more value than Ingram.

If they don't want to give up Herb (I respect that), then give us multiple unprotected firsts with Ingram.  That's what he should cost.

The last time DJ was a full-time starting PG he was an all-star.  He has also made an all-defensive team, and I think he will again once he moves back to his natural position.  He has gotten better in Atlanta (especially 3pt volume), and his contract is such a major boost to his value.  While we talk about it a lot, I still think folks are undervaluing his contract.  The cap is about to jump again and he is locked for the next 4 years.  I just can't trade him for pennies on the dollar simply b/c he is a bad fit here.  It will look so bad in hindsight, i.e. the Derrick White trade to Boston.

Part of me wants us to trade Trae and keep Murray b/c of his contract.  It's Murray at 30m/year or Trae at soon to be 60-70m / year.  I could get behind it.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

“Keeping both guards” as was stated is a significantly worse offseason than “traded duplicate guard for guy we don’t love but fits roster better.”

We aren’t getting the haul the Knicks gave up for Bridges. Has nothing to do with talent vs talent and everything to do with how many assets one team had and were willing to pay for who they wanted.

We need to make decisive moves with a clear direction and stop kicking the can down the road for the same mediocre product.

BI, Dyson, and Nance in return for a Murray Deal makes sense to me. I'd prefer Herb over Dyson, but it's not happening. FO liked Dyson in the draft too.

• Like 1