• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I just hope something happens to improve this team on defense. I'm tired of seeing Scary Terry blow us up for 35 points

With you on this one.  How many bums have had career highs on us in the past couple of years? Dosunmo, Coby White, and then Malachi f*cking Flynn... probably missing more

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

If they don't want to give up Herb (I respect that), then give us multiple unprotected firsts with Ingram.  That's what he should cost.

The last time DJ was a full-time starting PG he was an all-star.  He has also made an all-defensive team, and I think he will again once he moves back to his natural position.  He has gotten better in Atlanta (especially 3pt volume), and his contract is such a major boost to his value.  While we talk about it a lot, I still think folks are undervaluing his contract.  The cap is about to jump again and he is locked for the next 4 years.  I just can't trade him for pennies on the dollar simply b/c he is a bad fit here.  It will look so bad in hindsight, i.e. the Derrick White trade to Boston.

Part of me wants us to trade Trae and keep Murray b/c of his contract.  It's Murray at 30m/year or Trae at soon to be 60-70m / year.  I could get behind it.

i like this idea too, but the problem is there's only 1 viable place to trade him currently. that's to the spurs for our picks back. if they don't wanna make that trade, there's no where else we could get real value for him

5 minutes ago, therealist said:

i like this idea too, but the problem is there's only 1 viable place to trade him currently. that's to the spurs for our picks back. if they don't wanna make that trade, there's no where else we could get real value for him

Prolly need to do a 6 team trade lol

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Wrong. 1000% wrong. Yhe amount of crow people are.going to have to eat over Edey may cause an extinction level event.

There is definitely a world in which Edey emerges as the player of this class, and i would like to live and swim in that world.

Edited by txsting
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, therealist said:

There are probably a dozen teams that need a PG.  6 of them were playoff teams.

Murray is nearly a triple double guy as the full time PG and an all-star, who will also be an all-defensive candidate.  On an extremely team friendly contract for the next 4 years.  

2 minutes ago, txsting said:

There is definitely a world in which Edey emerges as the player of this class, and i would like to live and swim in that world.

I'll give him this, it's a courageous take to say the 7'5" 300 lb 2 time college player of the year can't defend and will only play 15 minutes in the NBA. I mean if you're going to say something crazy, you might as well go big. The very deterrence factor of someone that large is in and of itself the greatest impact to team defrtg I can imagine. We just saw Purdue's guards and small forwards get roasted in the national championship game. Do we honestly believe that was a one off for them?  Edey on floor defense was 8 points better per 100 possessions than off. Just his presence, 8 points better defense but offense + defense +35 compared to off.  I mean holy snot, how wrong about someone's abilities can you be?

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He will be hunted on defense.  

Better him than Trae.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Wrong. 1000% wrong. Yhe amount of crow people are.going to have to eat over Edey may cause an extinction level event.

And if he's a huge bust, HawkSquawk servers will collapse on themselves from the NBA world linking to Supes and your posts about him 😂

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

All true but also an inherently glass half empty lens.  There are a plethora of players we could have picked that would have made us materially worse in our history as well.  I think we've been pretty average in terms of draft picks in our history.  Recently, I think we've actually been a little better than average, with Cam being the only real blemish.

Our drafting for much of our history has been historically bad.  I agree that recently has been good.  Check out 1985 - 2000.  That is OMG levels of terrible where just getting a rotation worthy player was a home run.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

With you on this one.  How many bums have had career highs on us in the past couple of years? Dosunmo, Coby White, and then Malachi f*cking Flynn... probably missing more

Exactly.. Think about how many games we let slip through our hands due to teams finding some hot hand and feeding them

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

If they don't want to give up Herb (I respect that), then give us multiple unprotected firsts with Ingram.  That's what he should cost.

The last time DJ was a full-time starting PG he was an all-star.  He has also made an all-defensive team, and I think he will again once he moves back to his natural position.  He has gotten better in Atlanta (especially 3pt volume), and his contract is such a major boost to his value.  While we talk about it a lot, I still think folks are undervaluing his contract.  The cap is about to jump again and he is locked for the next 4 years.  I just can't trade him for pennies on the dollar simply b/c he is a bad fit here.  It will look so bad in hindsight, i.e. the Derrick White trade to Boston.

Part of me wants us to trade Trae and keep Murray b/c of his contract.  It's Murray at 30m/year or Trae at soon to be 60-70m / year.  I could get behind it.

Pennies on the dollar is unacceptable.  We can't have a John Collins / Kevin Huerter type of trade.  But I also don't think he is going to command anything close to Bridges and I don't value them as close to comparable.  (I would have been willing to add multiple assets to DJM to get Bridges.)  

We need a reasonable return but I would be biased towards moving on rather than hanging on and hoping to try again at the All-Star break.  With Trae's injury and a lot of depleted or tanking teams last year on the schedule during that period and Quin's crazy usage of DJM during that period, Dejounte got featured in a way he never will be featured again and he did a good job during that run.  His value should be at its high point.  If Landry can't negotiate meaningful return for him now, Fields is never going to be able to do it.  Maximize your return and move on.

• Like 3

In my opinion, if both guards are still on the team by opening night, then the team deserves all the criticism for that, and the offseason would be a complete failure. This is because Trae has a player option for next year, and I don't think he would want to stay with a team that fails to provide the support he needs or keeps attempting the same unsuccessful strategy repeatedly.

The distinction between us and teams like the Celtics, Knicks, and Pacers lies in their willingness to push the envelope and strive for a championship without fretting over the bottom line, knowing it will follow. How I wish we had the Braves' Front Office here.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Pennies on the dollar is unacceptable.  We can't have a John Collins / Kevin Huerter type of trade.  But I also don't think he is going to command anything close to Bridges and I don't value them as close to comparable.  (I would have been willing to add multiple assets to DJM to get Bridges.)  

We need a reasonable return but I would be biased towards moving on rather than hanging on and hoping to try again at the All-Star break.  With Trae's injury and a lot of depleted or tanking teams last year on the schedule during that period and Quin's crazy usage of DJM during that period, Dejounte got featured in a way he never will be featured again and he did a good job during that run.  His value should be at its high point.  If Landry can't negotiate meaningful return for him now, Fields is never going to be able to do it.  Maximize your return and move on.

This x1000. DJ value only goes down from here with a healthy Trae. Back to the Grimes and a 2nd level.