• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Simple Question: Will the Hawks Start the season OVER OR UNDER the Luxury Tax?

JayBirdHawk

Over or Under the Tax?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bear in mind that we did fill that roster spot with a 1 year overpay deal.  It was just for a player who hurt the team when he was on the floor instead of for someone who could help the roster.

I believe Wes Matthews was solely to have vet presence in the locker room.  Landry is trying hard to mature our culture.  The usefulness of the fringes of the roster are much heavier weighted towards non-basketball rationale.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I just don't understand this idea that there is nothing we could have done the last three years of cost savings to make the team better.  You want to limit it to who we could have signed last summer as a free agent but it's really the last three years of ineptitude and/or cheapness that has done us in.  Look at all the guys that moved.  What would it look like if we had brought in Derrick White, OG, PJ Washington, Josh Hart.  All guys that serious teams made moves for.   And a ton of other good players got moved in the time span where we literally acquired no one except DJ that wasn't a straight cast off from another team

It is definitely an ugly comparison right now.  I hope Fields makes some moves along these lines that have other teams gnashing their teeth wondering why the Hawks traded for this valuable player that they wish they had gotten instead of us being the team coveting our rival's trade acumen.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Did you hear about a single use for the TPE that was explored last year?  Seems like that went deliberately unused and is going to expire

And just as a reminder, the FO sold the JC TPE as the highest in NBA history that would allow us flexibility to improve the roster. They used $2.2 million of it to trade for TyTy Washington, then subsequently traded him for a similar TPE.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

And just as a reminder, the FO sold the JC TPE as the highest in NBA history that would allow us flexibility to improve the roster. They used $2.2 million of it to trade for TyTy Washington, then subsequently traded him for a similar TPE.

The TyTy Washington era was a nice weekend, wasn't it?

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I just don't understand this idea that there is nothing we could have done the last three years of cost savings to make the team better.  You want to limit it to who we could have signed last summer as a free agent but it's really the last three years of ineptitude and/or cheapness that has done us in.  Look at all the guys that moved.  What would it look like if we had brought in Derrick White, OG, PJ Washington, Josh Hart.  All guys that serious teams made moves for.   And a ton of other good players got moved in the time span where we literally acquired no one except DJ that wasn't a straight cast off from another team

With perfect hindsight we would have drafted and acquired only the best options.  Where were all of you guys three years ago?  In 2021 were any of you advocating to trade JC, Hunter, and Cam?  I wanted to, did you?  Show me all of your posts from 2021.
After we got Murray what were we supposed to do?  We had no money, mostly unwanted players,  and no draft capital left to trade.  You wanted them to trade for PJ Washington, Josh Hart, after we were basically trapped.  Easy to complain and hard to do anything.  

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Final_quest said:

With perfect hindsight we would have drafted and acquired only the best options.  Where were all of you guys three years ago?  In 2021 were any of you advocating to trade JC, Hunter, and Cam?  I wanted to, did you?  Show me all of your posts from 2021.
After we got Murray what were we supposed to do?  We had no money, mostly unwanted players,  and no draft capital left to trade.  You wanted them to trade for PJ Washington, Josh Hart, after we were basically trapped.  Easy to complain and hard to do anything.  

This is the thing.  It's not up to us.  We're pointing out the inaction of the franchise not failures of fans wants and desires.   I would hope that someone would have seen that trading for Derrick White would have been a better idea than getting DJ.  And in fact many here wanted to trade for him.  He was acquired for a single first rounder and throw ins.   I advocated getting a better SG so Huerter could move to the bench.  

The point is we didn't do anything but acquire DJ in three years.  You can't find another franchise in  a similar position who did less.  Not even close.   I just mentioned guys that are solid difference makers still playing in the playoffs.  There was a ton of player movement the last three years but nothing other than DJ coming to the Hawks.  

We never replaced what LouWill gave us.  We never replaced what Gallo gave us.  We never replaced what JC gave us.   We didn't even replace what Kev or Delon gave us.   We upgraded SG slightly to a worse fit while losing all those pieces and Clint getting older.  That's what they managed to do in three years of trying  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We shall see!

One thing this group has had some success at is making acquisitions.  When they got Capela, Bogi, and Gallo in the same year those were signings we had not seen in the past 25 years.  Although Murray was the wrong move, that was still a big acquisition.  

I do give them a chance to pull something off.  We got more picks to work with now.  

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

One thing this group has had some success at is making acquisitions.  When they got Capela, Bogi, and Gallo in the same year those were signings we had not seen in the past 25 years.  Although Murray was the wrong move, that was still a big acquisition.  

I do give them a chance to pull something off.  We got more picks to work with now.  

This group is being pretty broad.  All the deals you are talking about were done with Travis Schlenk in the GM chair.  The talk last offseason was that we were all about getting a big deal done and that never materialized.  I don't rule it out, but I'm definitely not sitting here with confidence that we are going to add some big talent in a trade.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

One thing this group has had some success at is making acquisitions. 

Schlenk moves.

Not Landry/Kyle/Nick.

• Thanks 1

Landry and Kyle have yet to prove themselves.  When I say group, I’m talking ownership.  
I consider Siakam a success in the sense that they got close.  Keep knocking and eventually you land someone.  

• Confused 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Landry and Kyle have yet to prove themselves.  When I say group, I’m talking ownership.  
I consider Siakam a success in the sense that they got close.  Keep knocking and eventually you land someone.  

I don't consider Siakam a success.  I'd say it was more like Toronto leveraged us to make a successful trade with Indiana.  How close we were is pretty speculative from where I sit.

As for the ownership group, I'm not sure how much I'd factor that in.  The only direct involvement we've seen from the is in the Luka / Trae deal which definitely worked out for Dallas even if Atlanta still ended up with an outstanding player.  If the idea is that ownership will give the front office the go ahead on a trade then I'd say it is a mixed record.  If I recall, Ressler has also stepped in to nix trades that should have happened like trading Horford and Millsap before they became UFAs who left the team with nothing in return.  The best ownership sits back and doesn't get involved in basketball decisions.  We have reports of Ressler stepping in to quash trades that would have been good and overruling his GM on the Luka trade (if you believe Mark Cuban who claims the GMs couldn't agree on a deal and so he and Ressler did it themselves and I consider him a dubious source) and reportedly overruling Schlenk on the DJM trade as well.  I consider that actually a pretty bad track record now that I type it out.

• Thanks 1

Two ECF runs shows there is an aim big mentality.  Bigger draft picks, free agents, and trades.  I have to acknowledge actual results in addition to failures.  There are certainly failures that are easy to talk about.  

• Confused 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Two ECF runs shows there is an aim big mentality.  Bigger draft picks, free agents, and trades.  I have to acknowledge actual results in addition to failures.  There are certainly failures that are easy to talk about.  

Why are you crediting Ressler as if he had something to do with the Hawks making the 2014-15 ECF?  He purchased the Hawks in June of 2015.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, AHF said:

Why are you crediting Ressler as if he had something to do with the Hawks making the 2014-15 ECF?  He purchased the Hawks in June of 2015.

Still, a lot of success under Tony.  Some killer acquisitions, too.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 5/30/2024 at 12:12 PM, Final_quest said:

I consider Siakam a success in the sense that they got close.

I know this was weeks ago but how did we get close when it came out that Siakam's camp told us in early summer that he wasn't interested in playing for Atlanta?

42 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I know this was weeks ago but how did we get close when it came out that Siakam's camp told us in early summer that he wasn't interested in playing for Atlanta?

There have been so many rumors in the media and from insiders on Siakam, so I'm not sure which one you are talking about and how solid that info is.  We got close enough that apparently Murray signed an extension because he didn't want to play in Toronto.  How is that not getting close? 

You have to support the right process and the right thinking.  They did the right thing by going after Siakam and not taking no for an immediate answer.  Jordan told Nike no a few times.  If you are trying to get something done, and you accept someone initially turning you down, you will only get things done when someone gives you an easy yes.  By all accounts it seemed they made a big effort that I support even if it didn't land Siakam.

The alternative would be to give up easily, is that what you wanted them to do?

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

There have been so many rumors in the media and from insiders on Siakam, so I'm not sure which one you are talking about and how solid that info is.  We got close enough that apparently Murray signed an extension because he didn't want to play in Toronto.  How is that not getting close? 

You have to support the right process and the right thinking.  They did the right thing by going after Siakam and not taking no for an immediate answer.  Jordan told Nike no a few times.  If you are trying to get something done, and you accept someone initially turning you down, you will only get things done when someone gives you an easy yes.  By all accounts it seemed they made a big effort that I support even if it didn't land Siakam.

The alternative would be to give up easily, is that what you wanted them to do?

I wanted them to get something done.  Getting credit for allegedly trying hard isn't pro level stuff.   Especially when the target is clearly saying no.  

Pascal Siakam's 'message has been sent' on potential Hawks trade (soaringdownsouth.com)