• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Free Agency 06/30 at 6PM

JayBirdHawk

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we are looking at a situation where we have Trae, DJ, ??, PS, and CC then I'm very worried about how that team plays out on the floor.  Siakam and CC step on each other's toes more on offense than JC and CC did and it was a problem for them.  DJ and Siakam play in the midrange on top of each other more than JC and DJ.  This is what your 3pt shooting looks like (career averages):

35.1%

33.5%

??

32.7%

00.0%

Does that work in the modern era?  I can wrap my head around OO and Siakam with the assumption that OO keeps developing his perimeter shot but Siakam and CC seem like a mess on the offensive side of the ball.

On the defensive side of the ball, if you are unloading Hunter I don't see how you get by without a wing defender coming back.  I was disappointed with the Trae/DJ fit on D (mostly that DJ seemed to struggle with guarding SGs more than I expected) and that becomes exacerbated without Hunter at the 3 spot.

Beyond the salary cap aspect of it, a DJ for Siakam deal makes more sense to me just from a spacing and defensive fit perspective.

So if we do want to keep DJ, put me in the skeptical camp for this deal getting done.  I kind of think the Hawks are offering something Toronto isn't that excited about and the Raptors are fanning the flames in the media on this potential deal (1) to try to get Atlanta to sweeten their offer but maybe moreseo (2) to make other teams feel like Atlanta might be on the cusp of getting Siakam and to get those third party teams to make better offers.  We have a long history of being leveraged by teams to get them better deals.

Yup all good points!

I wonder why we never play dirty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Final_quest said:

So many rumors right now.  Keeping Capela and trading OO I didn't see coming, but that would certainly be a win now move if you bring in Siakim.  I'm not reacting until we get more substance.  Could it be that they know Okongwu might command $25-30M/annually, and therefore Capela is actually the cheaper option over the next couple years?

How does Siakam and CC even fit on offense? Siakam isnt a floor spacer at all..  Not a good 3 pt shooter.

Id rather spend MLE on Grant Williams.. lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, JTB said:

Man if OO is really leaving for Siakam then hawks definitely plan on keeping Capela long term.

in my opinion you HAVE to get more back if you are trading away that much for Siakam. I like Spicy P but he’s not worth Hunter, OO, and 1st (or two 1st)!

that is an insane amount for Siakam alone. Hopefully there’s a 3rd team involved that’s giving us some kind of value.

as much as I’d love to see a Trae, Murray, Siakam trio we have to stay disciplined.

WHERE IS THE SPACING? Quin loves SPACING.. IDK man..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JTB said:

Well the FO will really need to make sure they have everything in place this off season if they planning to have 3 max contracts.

im not as worried about the money of those 3 combined as much as I’m worried about the overall team.

Trae, Murray, JJ, Siakam, Capela would be a good starting lineup.

Then Bufkin, Bogi, Bey, ???, Garuba on the bench…it’s not awful. Would be nice to go get Bol Bol as another body.

would be fantastic if we could somehow get Grant Williams added on this team. Then I could get over losing OO.

Not nearly enough 3 point shooting or spacing! This squad would make our offense in last year's Miami series look like the 7 seconds or less Suns.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, AHF said:

kind of think the Hawks are offering something Toronto isn't that excited about and the Raptors are fanning the flames in the media on this potential deal (1) to try to get Atlanta to sweeten their offer but maybe moreseo (2) to make other teams feel like Atlanta might be on the cusp of getting Siakam and to get those third party teams to make better offers.  We have a long history of being leveraged by teams to get them better deals.

Sounds about right on all fronts.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we are looking at a situation where we have Trae, DJ, ??, PS, and CC then I'm very worried about how that team plays out on the floor.  Siakam and CC step on each other's toes more on offense than JC and CC did and it was a problem for them.  DJ and Siakam play in the midrange on top of each other more than JC and DJ.  This is what your 3pt shooting looks like (career averages):

35.1%

33.5%

??

32.7%

00.0%

Does that work in the modern era?  I can wrap my head around OO and Siakam with the assumption that OO keeps developing his perimeter shot but Siakam and CC seem like a mess on the offensive side of the ball.

On the defensive side of the ball, if you are unloading Hunter I don't see how you get by without a wing defender coming back.  I was disappointed with the Trae/DJ fit on D (mostly that DJ seemed to struggle with guarding SGs more than I expected) and that becomes exacerbated without Hunter at the 3 spot.

Beyond the salary cap aspect of it, a DJ for Siakam deal makes more sense to me just from a spacing and defensive fit perspective.

So if we do want to keep DJ, put me in the skeptical camp for this deal getting done.  I kind of think the Hawks are offering something Toronto isn't that excited about and the Raptors are fanning the flames in the media on this potential deal (1) to try to get Atlanta to sweeten their offer but maybe moreseo (2) to make other teams feel like Atlanta might be on the cusp of getting Siakam and to get those third party teams to make better offers.  We have a long history of being leveraged by teams to get them better deals.

Exactly what Ive been saying.. NO SPACING

55 minutes ago, AHF said:

35.1%

33.5%

??

32.7%

00.0%

"Does that work in the modern NBA" giphy.gif.3d6b6c7e64a7083de3d1a10d70853459.gif

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

And the big issue with Siakam is the same reason Toronto is trying to trade him, that monster max extension he is due next summer. 5 years, 260M or whatever it is. That thing will be an anchor the moment the ink dries. 

It's only an anchor if the owner doesn't want to pay the Luxury Tax.  And if the owner doesn't want to pay the Luxury Tax to bring in a high level player AND keep the kids in the future that deserve contracts, then the owner isn't committed to building a winner.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

Not nearly enough 3 point shooting or spacing! This squad would make our offense in last year's Miami series look like the 7 seconds or less Suns.

Its either a lob from Trae to Capela or Dribble dribble dribble mid range pullup from DJ and Paskal.. lol.

35 minutes ago, terrell said:

So who starts at PF for us this year, if we don't get Siakam?

Bey can shoot, but he's a poor defender and small for a PF.

JJ is the prototype size for the new age PF, but he can't shoot from the outside.

Or do you play Mr. Hunter at the 4?

LOL @ poking holes in Siakam's game, when this guy has constantly proven that he can flat out ball.  Do you need to see a Boston clip?   Almost a triple double here playing point forward with Van Vleet out.

I think they lost this game though, so people will completely dismiss the effort here, and call it "empty stats".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

JJ is the prototype size for the new age PF, but he can't shoot from the outside.

LOL @ poking holes in Siakam's game, when this guy has constantly proven that he can flat out ball.  Do you need to see a Boston clip?   Almost a triple double here playing point forward with Van Vleet out.

I think they lost this game though, so people will completely dismiss the effort here, and call it "empty stats".

Grant Williams?

If we make no other moves I'd start Dre at PF. He and Bey can switch it up depending on matchup.. (Quin started the other Bogi and Royce Oneal at the 4 in Utah)..

JJ might not be ready yet..

Trae/DJ/Bey/Dre/CC

Bufkin/Bogi/AJ/JJ/OO

Edited by terrell
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, terrell said:

45 minutes ago, terrell said:

Exactly what Ive been saying.. NO SPACING

Quinn didn’t have spacing in Utah. He had Favors and Gobert so adding Siakam is actually more spacing than he had for most of his seasons in Utah.

Favors and Gobert can’t shoot at all. 

its not going to be a perfect FIT…we should all be realizing that now. Either we are going to have poor defense at 4 because the players are too small, poor shooting at the 4, or only shooting at 4.

when you stop only thinking about shooting aspect, Siakam is almost the best player to get .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Siakam is 1 inch taller than Bey.. Same height as Dre.. lol

1 minute ago, JTB said:

Quinn didn’t have spacing in Utah. He had Favors and Gobert so adding Siakam is actually more spacing than he had for most of his seasons in Utah.

its not going to be a perfect FIT…we should all be realizing that now. Either we are going to have poor defense at 4 because the players are too small, poor shooting at the 4, or only shooting at 4.

when you stop only thinking about shooting aspect, Siakam is almost the best player to get .

I heard a recent Quin interview.. All he kept saying was "spacing' lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

Murray Siakam and CC together? Seems like a clusterfk on offense to me.. But you could be right.. Hopefully the people getting paid ALOT of $ knows what they want..

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, terrell said:

I'm guessing there's a big difference in wingspan

3 minutes ago, terrell said:

Murray Siakam and CC together? Seems like a clusterfk on offense to me.. But you could be right.. Hopefully the people getting paid ALOT of $ knows what they want..

If we get Siakam one or both of those guys are gone. 

6 minutes ago, terrell said:

I heard a recent Quin interview.. All he kept saying was "spacing' lol

I heard spacing and Quinn strongly preaching defense as well.

im starting to wonder if it was just us fans who wanted OO as the future starting center but Quinn and his staff may think OO is too small to truly be our center of the future even in this era.