• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Hawks Media Day OCT 2ND/Training Camp/Pre-Season

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

@macdaddy he has muscles his was to a 4 position! And nobody will stop him from starting over JJ. Not @kg01 or his minions! 🏃‍♀️ 

I think the most likely guy to cost Bey his starting position is OO.  If OO takes the starting center job, you should expect to see JJ and OO keep pairing up.  They looked really good together last year and that seems to only be getting better this season if the pre-season means anything.  

I think Bey has a really good shot at starting at PF as long as CC is the starting center and as long as Hunter doesn't get bumped to a reserve role by Bey.

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I think Bey has a really good shot at starting at PF

Never mind me, but I can't help but remind... the Bey as a back-up PF experiment back when I was a Hawks fan was about as tragic a defensive fail as we ever see in the NBA. He was repeatedly roasted in that role, though yes, not excellent in the SF role defensively either. Good luck with that, tho.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Never mind me, but I can't help but remind... the Bey as a back-up PF experiment back when I was a Hawks fan was about as tragic a defensive fail as we ever see in the NBA. He was repeatedly roasted in that role, though yes, not excellent in the SF role defensively either. Good luck with that, tho.

He was horrific defending the 3 last year. He just wasn't good at defending anything last year but was clearly better at the 4 on D

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, AHF said:

I think the most likely guy to cost Bey his starting position is OO.  If OO takes the starting center job, you should expect to see JJ and OO keep pairing up.  They looked really good together last year and that seems to only be getting better this season if the pre-season means anything.  

I think Bey has a really good shot at starting at PF as long as CC is the starting center and as long as Hunter doesn't get bumped to a reserve role by Bey.

I see it differently. 

I'm hoping JJ gets the starts. I understand that Bey stretches the floor for CC, but I think the focus is on the wrong guy.  JJ's offensive versatility and defense allows us to maximize more of Trae in Quin's offense.  So far JJ's  3ball is looking ok and his passing provides more options for the offense, more importantly defenses can't be as hyper focused on Trae.  JJ's passing also helps CC if teams play ball deny on Trae.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He was horrific defending the 3 last year. He just wasn't good at defending anything last year but was clearly better at the 4 on D

He was brand new last year.   He played 20 games with us.  No camp.   Playing defense is as much about learning the teammates nuances in practice as it is technique.  If you don't know the schemes... You can look really bad on the floor. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I see it differently. 

I'm hoping JJ gets the starts. I understand that Bey stretches the floor for CC, but I think the focus is on the wrong guy.  JJ's offensive versatility and defense allows us to maximize more of Trae in Quin's offense.  So far JJ's  3ball is looking ok and his passing provides more options for the offense, more importantly defenses can't be as hyper focused on Trae.  JJ's passing also helps CC if teams play ball deny on Trae.

If JJ earns the starting spot, that is really good for this team because I feel like Bey has a very nice floor and if Snyder believes JJ exceeds that by enough to put him over the young vet then that is pretty exciting for all of us.  

If JJ ends up starting, I do think that could end up pushing OO into the starting lineup faster.

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I see it differently. 

Not disagreeing with any of this, but respectfully, I thought all of this is what Dejounte was brought here for.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Not disagreeing with any of this, but respectfully, I thought all of this is what Dejounte was brought here for.

With Quin's offense, I think passing from our front court makes us even more potent.

• Premium Member

Every NBA Team's Biggest Takeaway From 2023 Preseason

Southeast Division: Atlanta Hawks

11 OF 30

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA - OCTOBER 16: Jalen Johnson #1 of the Atlanta Hawks looks on in the game against the Indiana Pacers at Gainbridge Fieldhouse on October 16, 2023 in Indianapolis, Indiana. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Justin Casterline/Getty Images)
Justin Casterline/Getty Images

The Jalen Johnson breakout is happening.

The 21-year-old plays as if he's angling for a sponsorship from the 2022 movie Everything Everywhere All at Once. He has the versatility to do a little (or sometimes a lot) of everything, and the athleticism and explosiveness to fly around everywhere.

In the past, he has sometimes played too frantic for his own good, but even if he downshifts from 1.5x speed to 1.25x, he can still stay a step ahead of the opposition. That's what he's doing this preseason, routinely jumping off the screen without jumping out of his lane.

His efficiency will regress (he could be a 51.7 percent field-goal shooter, although he definitely isn't a 60 percent three-point splasher), but the rest of his game can translate in an expanded rotation role.

His defensive versatility, grab-and-go rebounding, playmaking and open-court attacking could all be key elements for this team, so much so that he just might push for the starting spot vacated by John Collins this summer.

Zach Buckley

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10094053-every-nba-teams-biggest-takeaway-from-2023-preseason