2023-24 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Not to beat a dead horse but a lot of criticism of our front office and last summer was met with the comment "well they went hard after Siakam but it didn't work out.  it's difficult but they tried" only to learn that Siakam told us immediately that it wasn't going to happen.  So how hard did they try to improve the team some other way?  Because it seems like not very.  

I would not take any one insider report as certain truth for what transpired-- a point that is relevant to all discussions.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The deal fell through because Dejounte did not want to go to toronto. He told the hawks he would take the paycut if they didn't send him there

I said this back when it happened as well. DJM literally signed the extension to stop the trade from happening.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Vol4ever also noted that Ressler wasn't willing to pay him, so why would he want to come?

The Hawks ain't for real.  I've been harping on that since Ressler bought the team.  This ain't a knock on Trae Young but as long as Ressler and Steve Koonin have Trae to market they are gonna double talk and play musical chairs because they are not going to stack the roster with the required talent to win a championship. The alternative is you have to build a TEAM that can maximize its talent.  The Hawks being guard centric around Trae and not playing defense leaves the Hawks in a no win situation.  The results speak for themselves.  What, two, three play-in appearances and no playoff appearance this season.   It wouldn't shock me if the Hawks trade their rights to Sarr to avoid having to pay him, Trae and or Dejuante eventually. Its a business.  Thats all it is.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Not to beat a dead horse but a lot of criticism of our front office and last summer was met with the comment "well they went hard after Siakam but it didn't work out.  it's difficult but they tried" only to learn that Siakam told us immediately that it wasn't going to happen.  So how hard did they try to improve the team some other way?  Because it seems like not very.  

Yep.

And a reminder that Siakam talks started before the JC trade actually happened in June, then continued all thru the end of August when 'Hawks' said they were comfortable going into the season as is after adding big FA acquisition Wes Matthews and drafting Kobe. 😐

• Sad 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yep.

And a reminder that Siakam talks started before the JC trade actually happened in June, then continued all thru the end of August when 'Hawks' said they were comfortable going into the season as is after adding big FA acquisition Wes Matthews and drafting Kobe. 😐

Talk may have continued but if Sothron's comment above is correct, the moment we resigned DJM the idea of trading for Siakam was dead in the water.  That was July 7.  So if Sothron is correct, we had decided in early July to drop the pursuit of Siakam.  Lots of things happened in the offseason before we also decided that the best we could do was Wesley Matthews (signed on July 22).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Talk may have continued but if Sothron's comment above is correct, the moment we resigned DJM the idea of trading for Siakam was dead in the water.  That was July 7.  So if Sothron is correct, we had decided in early July to drop the pursuit of Siakam.  Lots of things happened in the offseason before we also decided that the best we could do was Wesley Matthews (signed on July 22).

After DJ resigned he then became ineligible to be traded for 6 months. But IIRC, talks still continued centered around Hunter, AJ and Kobe (he became eligible for trade 30 days after signing his rookie deal in early July to play SL), with Kobe being the sticking point from the rumored reports.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You know it's a cold day in hell when I 100% agree with your post.

I agree with him too.

I'm terrified, mortified, petrified, and .... stupefied! 

😬 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Vol4ever also noted that Ressler wasn't willing to pay him, so why would he want to come?

I don’t think he ever said that about Siakam specifically, and I remember he said there was a mid season deal that he thinks got killed because of Tony not wanting to spend.  

He also seemed to say his insider info was pretty limited.  Pretty sure this one is a rumor unless he clears it up.  

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I didn't know about the Ressler part. That means that he isn't willing to do what it takes to produce a winner.

Yeah ... I thought I would never come to this point. But if they piss off this offseason, I'm not spending money and hours upon hours following the goings-on with this team.

Why give the effort if they're not gong to?

Look at it like this.  Again, this is not a knock on Trae.  You look at Dallas.  Luka had a higher "usage" percentage than Trae Young this season.  Kyrie had just a slightly lower "usage" than Trae.  The team assists is near the same.  The difference is defense.  Where Dallas was middle of the pack the Hawks of course are near the league bottom.  The other team I want to compare is Indiana. Not much better than Atlanta defensively but they are the top team in the league in assists.

That means the Hawks have two choices:  Improve the defense or improve the team assists by removing Trae and Murray from their dominate roles on offense.  Sarr is the answer for the defensive route.  The second route is where its gets complicated.  Since the Hawks are not gonna surround Trae with a Brandon Ingram for instance on offense, the offense itself has to change.  Trae has to have the ball in his hands.  Thats HIS game.  This is the reality of what the Hawks have on their plate and they know it which is why they are considering moving off of Trae.  Its cheaper to build a team with a bunch of assist guys over bringing Ingram, Siakam, etc. or somebody of that caliber into the fold. Ingram and Siakam can demand the ball from Trae but they bring price tags.  The Sarr thing is very interesting.  Its no telling which way they are gonna go.   It wouldn't shock me if they trade down into around 10 in the draft to save salary and get picks and or role players.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Look at it like this.  Again, this is not a knock on Trae.  You look at Dallas.  Luka had a higher "usage" percentage than Trae Young this season.  Kyrie had just a slightly lower "usage" than Trae.  The team assists is near the same.  The difference is defense.  Where Dallas was middle of the pack the Hawks of course are near the league bottom.  The other team I want to compare is Indiana. Not much better than Atlanta defensively but they are the top team in the league in assists.

That means the Hawks have two choices:  Improve the defense or improve the team assists by removing Trae and Murray from their dominate roles on offense.  Sarr is the answer for the defensive route.  The second route is where its gets complicated.  Since the Hawks are not gonna surround Trae with a Brandon Ingram for instance on offense, the offense itself has to change.  Trae has to have the ball in his hands.  Thats HIS game.  This is the reality of what the Hawks have on their plate and they know it which is why they are considering moving off of Trae.  Its cheaper to build a team with a bunch of assist guys over bringing Ingram, Siakam, etc. or somebody of that caliber into the fold. Ingram and Siakam can demand the ball from Trae but they bring price tags.  The Sarr thing is very interesting.  Its no telling which way they are gonna go.   It wouldn't shock me if they trade down into around 10 in the draft to save salary and get picks and or role players.

I understand, but I don't really believe they will trade down. I think no team that has ever had the #1 pick has dropped down to the teens in a trade. Moreover, this is the first #1 pick in the history of the Atlanta Hawks in 50 years and will be the first one to play for the Hawks since Milwaukee days, so I don't think they will trade down.

Edited by NekiEcko
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, macdaddy said:

It's real hard not to like these guys.  Only team left to root for imo.

Ant totally helped rehab Towns’ and Gobert’s images.  They’re so tight knit, it’s a joy to watch.  KAT plays with a different spirit after they went 14-6 without him.  He was like “hold up yall need me!”

The Thunder’s gang postgame interviews were appointment viewing for me this season too Jaylen is a pure clown.

I love the Mavs and Pacers style but I understand it isn’t proper around here to root for the coulda-been (shoulda-been) Hawks in Luka and Hali.  I can’t see anyone outside of Boston loving that team, hell I’m sure some die hard older fans hate the three point spamming and Tatum-shrinking.

Edited by benhillboy

I must say, y'all were all wrong on the Gobert trade.  Ya'll said UTA won that thing in a landslide.

Boy do you folks have egg on your faces.

Me?  Eh, I told ya all along UTA was trash and that good start a year ago was fake.

I'm shocked how many of yall still believe in Lauri.  I'll wait for yall to give up on that like I wanted for yall to give up on the idea that Christian Wood was anything.

Anyways, just wanted to be a bartender for a minute and give out some shots.

You're welcome.

😏

(Why do that?  They just gonna dig up your AntMan takes.  Shhhhhhh....) 

• Haha 3