• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

JayBirdHawk

42 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not surprised. 

I said it was a ploy by LAL, so when JJ got the job, they'd be able to say they did their due diligence.

But they went so far with it that JJ looks like a backup plan. 

38 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That's exactly what I thought.  These college coaches, they are used to running the show.  I didn't think Dan would take a back seat to James, and I'm betting he was told that they were taking Bronny.

I don think it's that.  I think the money in cbb is now comparable once you factor in the negatives of being an NBA coach.

They don't have to deal with the drawbacks to get the bagg now so why bother? 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

And furthermore... wait, I'm not supposed to be talking to you since we got beef now.

@Spud2nique didju see burd made me read Bill Simmons?  We may need mediation or the next cul de sac bbq gonna be interesting ... 

🤓 

Why you gotta drag Spud into it. He'll be mad too. 😠 

He'll  be waiting :meowth:

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I don think it's that.  I think the money in cbb is now comparable once you factor in the negatives of being an NBA coach.

They don't have to deal with the drawbacks to get the bagg now so why bother? 

Still have to deal with NIL in college now, which is a pain in the ass.

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Wow!  Say what you want about the Hawks.  At least we aren't the f***ing Lakers right now.

They need to just go ahead and make it official and name Bron as their new head coach. 
Pay him the vet minimum as a player to keep their cap number down, then give him a separate coaching contract for $40mil, then draft Bronny. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

@AHF I don’t know how you can call full-strength OKC and Minny “favorable” matchups for Dallas.  Winning 56-57 games is hard af, us Hawks fans haven’t seen it in so long we’ve forgotten.

I said Minnesota and I absolutely think it is a favorable matchup for them.  Denver would have been much worse.  Favorable doesn't mean a cake walk.  Just that in terms of personnel Dallas creates problems for Minnesota in a way that Denver didn't even though arguably Denver is the better team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

They need to just go ahead and make it official and name Bron as their new head coach. 
Pay him the vet minimum as a player to keep their cap number down, then give him a separate coaching contract for $40mil, then draft Bronny. 

This would actually be a very business savvy move. Period. I wonder if there are any limitations in the CBA for this?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

This would actually be a very business savvy move. Period. I wonder if there are any limitations in the CBA for this?

Who cares? It’s LeBron. The whole league’ll bend any rules necessary to help him get what he wants. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Who cares? It’s LeBron. The whole league’ll bend any rules necessary to help him get what he wants. 

You are not wrong.  I wonder if he would be as bad a coach as he is a GM.  Kind of like MJ as an owner?  🤔 

• Haha 2

I‘m not following the depth claims of Boston.  Their 7th and 8th men in Pritchard and Hauser are averaging 13.5 minutes in these Finals for no other reason than to give their Top 5 a breather.  It’s pretty remarkable their starting unit dominated the league and no one is breaking $37M on their payroll.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I said Minnesota and I absolutely think it is a favorable matchup for them.  Denver would have been much worse.  Favorable doesn't mean a cake walk.  Just that in terms of personnel Dallas creates problems for Minnesota in a way that Denver didn't even though arguably Denver is the better team.

I hear you.  I can’t buy the Nuggets tho.  They lost a lot when Bruce Brown walked.  He was the glue to their perimeter defense and situational rotations with sparkling playoff metrics of 119 to 110 rating, .141 WS/48, and +10.5 on court.  No one in their right mind would depend on Justin Holiday(!) and Reggie Jackson in the postseason and Braun will bring diminishing returns beyond 17 minutes per.

Their starting unit, as great as it is around Joker, just hit a wall after their last run as Jokic admitted.  I think Exum and Hardaway can get on the floor versus the Nuggets, I could be wrong.  But Kidd was rewarded in keeping them glued to the bench the last two rounds.

Edited by benhillboy

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Still have to deal with NIL in college now, which is a pain in the ass.

Funny.  Places like UCONN have been NIL-ing guys since the Calhoun years.  This is a minor adjustment for them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I‘m not following the depth claims of Boston.  Their 7th and 8th men in Pritchard and Hauser are averaging 13.5 minutes in these Finals for no other reason than to give their Top 5 a breather.  It’s pretty remarkable their starting unit dominated the league and no one is breaking $37M on their payroll.

Jaylen Brown is about to do that next year at $49 mil, with Tatum extension eligible this offseason at +$50 mil.

It's all about when those players signed their previous extensions in relation to the cap a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I hear you.  I can’t buy the Nuggets tho.  They lost a lot when Bruce Brown walked.  He was the glue to their perimeter defense and situational rotations with sparkling playoff metrics of 119 to 110 rating, .141 WS/48, and +10.5 on court.  No one in their right mind would depend on Justin Holiday(!) and Reggie Jackson in the postseason and Braun will bring diminishing returns beyond 17 minutes per.

Their starting unit, as great as it is around Joker, just hit a wall after their last run as Jokic admitted.  I think Exum and Hardaway can get on the floor versus the Nuggets, I could be wrong.  But Kidd was rewarded in keeping them glued to the bench the last two rounds.

It didn't stop Denver from dominating Dallas in their regular season matchups.  If I recall correctly, Denver was something like +36 over those 3 games.

Remember that Dallas wasn't a dominant team.  They were a good team and the 5th seed in the West, 7 games behind Denver for the #2 seed.  Denver had the second best record in the entire league this season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Kevon Looney will likely be released by the Warriors to save money on their tax bill, per

(podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/war). Only $3 million of Looney’s $8 million salary is guaranteed until it fully locks in on June 24. If Looney is released, expect plenty of interest

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Looney is released, expect plenty of interest

No doubt and he’s one of the warriors who I could stand, dude a man not a clown 🤡 like another dude whose last name starts wit a C. 🍛 I won’t say it.