• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

JayBirdHawk

38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Burd just hates me.  Made me listed to Simmons last week, makes me listen to BSPN this week.

Are you hazing me, burd?

26 minutes ago, Afro said:

200w.gif

It is indeed happening.

The collective flabbergastation (yeah, you love that word) about his _efense is proof positive of the extent to which all these people don't actually watch games.  He's doing nothing different than what he's always done on that end.

But folks boxscore-watch and fawn over numbers rather than watching enough to see "ya know, he's just as bad on defense as Harden used to be but James didn't get a pass".

Finally people are forced to watch and have their eyes opened.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know he was not as bad in the early rounds, but I'll do what fans do and say that was a function of those teams not having a scoring wing to punish him - screech, screech (goal post move) 

• Haha 3

It’s age old basketball philosophy: when role players are involved in the offense they naturally defend better.  In the earlier rounds teams weren’t staying at home with corner shooters and roll men at all costs like the Celtics are so guys who wouldn’t even start or play for the Hawks (Hardy, Jones, Kleber, Washington, Green) aren’t in the same gap spots to help him when he’s helpless on an island.  I don’t know why Kidd played Tim Jr., he doesn’t either.  Luka’s 37% usage is just crazy and Kyrie’s metrics are horrendous along with most of those said role players:

IMG_0081.thumb.jpeg.d9c0592ad0bc1145dbe3d1d95ae54d36.jpeg

I’ll never utter a bad word about JB.  Kid improved his feel, handle, and team defensive game significantly from last season.  I still think Tatum is the better player but JB’s tape and metrics this postseason blow his out the water and his super-improbable FMVP will be well deserved.  I knew Hauser and Pritchard were solid team defenders but I’ve been very impressed with multiple possessions individually.  Hats off to Boston, they been building up to this sh%t long enough.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Only positive for Luka is that the team was +9 when he was on the floor.  (+/- is not a great single game metric, imo.)

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Burd just hates me.  Made me listed to Simmons last week, makes me listen to BSPN this week.

Are you hazing me, burd?

It is indeed happening.

The collective flabbergastation (yeah, you love that word) about his _efense is proof positive of the extent to which all these people don't actually watch games.  He's doing nothing different than what he's always done on that end.

But folks boxscore-watch and fawn over numbers rather than watching enough to see "ya know, he's just as bad on defense as Harden used to be but James didn't get a pass".

Finally people are forced to watch and have their eyes opened.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know he was not as bad in the early rounds, but I'll do what fans do and say that was a function of those teams not having a scoring wing to punish him - screech, screech (goal post move) 

Alright I got a few things here lol. 

1. Mission Accomplished. Woo lol. Now to get everyone to realize that he is a selfish teammate and a coach killer. I can't believe they totally ignored him FREAKING the f out on Kidd multiple times last night. Boy I'm starting to notice a projection issue with how they compare Trae and Luka....

2. The narrative based bullshit is my least favorite part of the NBA. Nobody watches. Nobody cares. Lets just say some shit and itll be truth. "He's good a defense. He strong like bull". Yeah.....Sure, that raises his  defensive baseline higher than a small guy like Trae, but his overall lack of interest and side-to-side movement lowers it right back down lol. 

3. I know it's petty. I don't care. As long as they bury our guy for the shit this guy does, Ima be right here shoveling the dirt from one grave to the other. 

Edited by Afro
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

He was whining and screaming to his bench “you better challenge that?” 

Wow 😮 what a diva 🧑‍🎤 

And it was such a clear and lazy foul on him too.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Only positive for Luka is that the team was +9 when he was on the floor.  (+/- is not a great single game metric, imo.)

Funny thing is, despite what our eyes are telling us, his defensive mEtRiCs aren't terrible.

Which goes a LONG way in supporting my years-long assertion that defensive analytics are trash. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

He was whining and screaming to his bench “you better challenge that?” 

Wow 😮 what a diva 🧑‍🎤 

Lebron is STILL getting coverage for falling to the floor in frustration last year lol. 

But this guy.......woof. Straight toddler screaming at everyone at the daycare. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Which goes a LONG way in supporting my years-long assertion that defensive analytics are trash. 

Think I saw a blurb that says defensive metrics get bouyed by rebounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

It's one of the reasons that I hate that metric.  Especially for a single game.  Luka had 27 pts on 27 shots, had only 6 reb and 6 asts with 3 TOs and 6 fouls.  He was largely a sieve on defense with Boston continually targeting him.  Watching the game, he didn't look like he was having any significant impact on it after the 1st quarter.  And yet somehow he was the only starter with a positive +/- and had the largest +/- on the team.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I've never been a believer in defensive stats on an individual level. Defense is played as a team.  I'm just not sure how a defensive metric can accurately identify what 1 player is doing as part of the 5 on the floor.  For instance, if the dude you are guarding crosses you up and blows right by you to the rim but then either misses the bunny or is contested by the big, do you get credit for not allowing the bucket?  I don't know but it sure seems shaky.  Especially when my eyes tell me that JB and Boston have been targeting Luka every game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

Even Mavs fans are admitting it, I'm shocked at how well they are accepting of this criticism 

Somebody woke up and chose violence yesterday.  No lies detected.  It's refreshing to hear about a player not named Trae Young.  

• Haha 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

It's one of the reasons that I hate that metric.  Especially for a single game.  Luka had 27 pts on 27 shots, had only 6 reb and 6 asts with 3 TOs and 6 fouls.  He was largely a sieve on defense with Boston continually targeting him.  Watching the game, he didn't look like he was having any significant impact on it after the 1st quarter.  And yet somehow he was the only starter with a positive +/- and had the largest +/- on the team.  

The thing about Dallas is that without him on the floor it is an entirely different game.  With his gravity and the attention the defense focuses on him, it opens the floor for easier opportunities for other players.  So there is a logic for me where he could have a pretty bad game (which he did) but the team still be better when he is on the floor.  I think this applies to Trae and many other stars as well.  Even when they have a bad night, the team may function better with them on the floor than without them.  

But I'm only a fan of +/- stuff in much larger samples and I didn't watch this one the whole way through so I'm not going to opine as to whether I thought Dallas was better with him on the floor notwithstanding his struggles.  Just saying that I think there is a logic that could support a team performing better with a guy on the floor than when he is on the bench even in a game where he is struggling.

Brown is having the series of his life.  Best I've seen him in big games.

• Like 1